Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 01:09 AM   #1

Any film camera with actual multiple exposure setting

I know you can use a hack with most early film cameras to do multiple exposures by pressing the rewind button while pushing the film lever.

But I'm concerned about the film moving slightly between exposures, especially since I want to take the exposures several days apart.

I have a Canon camera that has a specific setting for it and was wondering if any early Pentax film camera has this too?

Thanks

07-27-2018, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
I know you can use a hack with most early film cameras to do multiple exposures by pressing the rewind button while pushing the film lever.

But I'm concerned about the film moving slightly between exposures, especially since I want to take the exposures several days apart.

I have a Canon camera that has a specific setting for it and was wondering if any early Pentax film camera has this too?

Thanks
The LX does. Not sure about any others.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2018, 01:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
While I'm here, can I use recent lenses on early film cameras?

I would think so since it's the same mount but maybe there is something I haven't considered.
07-27-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
While I'm here, can I use recent lenses on early film cameras?

I would think so since it's the same mount but maybe there is something I haven't considered.
Most DA/D FA lenses cannot be used, either due to the lack of an aperture ring or mechanical focusing, or crop image circle. The chart below describes the film SLR compatibility of every type of Pentax lens:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Notable exceptions include the D FA 50mm and 100mm (non-WR) macros, which have an aperture ring and are therefore fully backwards-compatible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2018, 01:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Most DA/D FA lenses cannot be used, either due to the lack of an aperture ring or mechanical focusing, or crop image circle. The chart below describes the film SLR compatibility of every type of Pentax lens:

Notable exceptions include the D FA 50mm and 100mm (non-WR) macros, which have an aperture ring and are therefore fully backwards-compatible.
Thanks. I guess that my 31 Ltd and Samyang 20mm should work then since they both have aperture ring, manual focusing and full frame circle.
The Irix probably won't work then. Or only fully open.
07-27-2018, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Ricoh XR1 has a multiple exposure button and is a K mount camera without the Ricoh pin.
Ricoh XR-1 instruction manual, Ricoh XR-1s instruction manual, user manual
It's also dirt cheap. It's tinnier than Pentax equivalents but still takes great photos.
If you're lucky it'll come with a highly regarded Ricoh XR nifty 50.
07-27-2018, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The previous poster beat me to mentioning Ricoh. If you want a camera that allows multiple exposures without film movement then the XR-M or XR-X (same camera, different names for different markets, I have one of each) is a good option. It was Ricoh's last top-of-the-line 35mm SLR before they stopped making them. It's properly 80s ugly but is very capable with some advanced features and top shutter speed of 1/2000s.

07-27-2018, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #8

I was just reading the MZ-S user manual yesterday (and I definitively want one !!) and I can confirm that the MZ-S have multiple exposure capability.
It seems you are not limited in exposure number : the film advances only when you change the setting button (self timer / single / multiple exposure). It should even stay when you turn the camera off/on.
07-27-2018, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Z-1 (PZ-1) will do it via a Pentax Function (IIRC to a maximum of nine shots).
07-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
The Ricoh XR1 has a multiple exposure button and is a K mount camera without the Ricoh pin.
Ricoh XR-1 instruction manual, Ricoh XR-1s instruction manual, user manual
It's also dirt cheap. It's tinnier than Pentax equivalents but still takes great photos.
If you're lucky it'll come with a highly regarded Ricoh XR nifty 50.
Thanks a lot. Will have a look at these.

Something dirt cheap is what I'm after
07-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The pz1p and zxl both have multiple exposure, and I'm guessing other cameras from the 90s.
07-27-2018, 05:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I thought the D FA 50mm had the electro-magnetic aperture, and thus won't work on film bodies?
07-27-2018, 05:34 AM   #13

Not a Pentax camera but will take old Petax K lenses, a Chinon CE4 (and later versions) had a little lever that allowed you make multiple exposures.
07-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The Pentax 6x7/67 with its 90mm leaf shutter can take as many multiple exposures as you want without ever touching the film advance.
07-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
he Pentax 6x7/67 with its 90mm leaf shutter can take as many multiple exposures as you want without ever touching the film advance.
Yep and it works like a charm!

I'll also add the 67ii, which has the multiple exposure feature built in.

Phil.