Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got two K2's serviced by Eric and they work fine. Use them on trips frequently.

I've also got one black and one silver spare K2's, boxed in like new condition, ready for Eric in case one of the other two have any issues.

Phil

08-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K2 is a beautiful design but I’ve never gotten the hang of the ASA ring. I tolerate K2DMD but I’ve never bonded with the K2. Swapped a silver one for another KX with a member.
08-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think the K2 is a beautiful design but I’ve never gotten the hang of the ASA ring. I tolerate K2DMD but I’ve never bonded with the K2. Swapped a silver one for another KX with a member.
I haven't had a K2, but they remind me quite a bit of my Nikkormat, with its odd ISO setting system.
08-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AFA LX, mine cost $300 in 2012 and had been CLA’ed by Eric. I have far more financial risk in the finders, winders and other accessories I’ve acquired for it than in the camera itself, if it should die.
Given the design and material selection that Pentax poured into developing the LX, I don't think it's much of a risk at all.

Incidentally, the LX was not only the best Pentax SLR, it is the best SLR of any brand and model . . .

08-09-2018, 06:01 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Why no love for the K2?
Hmmm ... no love?
The K2 is my favorite K-series camera.

I regularly shoot with a chrome K2. I bought it in 2010 for $50.
Eric outfitted it with a split-image focus screen during its CLA.

I dressed it in brown leather, too.

No love? Phiff !

I also own a Black K2 and a K2DMD.

Last edited by Moe49; 09-14-2018 at 06:51 AM.
08-09-2018, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

MX - MILF
superProgram (SuperA) - Techno Lady
Z1p (PZ1p) - Sport Lady
08-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #67
Veteran Member

As alluded to, the LX can certainly function without electronics, but at that point, is it really an LX? It isn't to me. It's the sum of its (working) parts, really, as every different camera is.

Insofar as board replacement, there are 3 (perhaps 4) different varieties according to Eric, and they are not interchangeable, nor identifiable from without or by serial. Further lessens repair-ability (as I've found 1st hand) and muddies the waters quite a bit.

---------- Post added 08-09-18 at 08:24 AM ----------

As alluded to, the LX can certainly function without electronics, but at that point, is it really an LX? It isn't to me. It's the sum of its (working) parts, really, as every different camera is.

Insofar as board replacement, there are 3 (perhaps 4) different varieties according to Eric, and they are not interchangeable, nor identifiable from without or by serial. Further lessens repair-ability (as I've found 1st hand) and muddies the waters quite a bit.

08-09-2018, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a nice K2 which I had serviced by Eric. I too never bonded with mine, and I sold it last year.
I recently had Eric overhaul a K2DMD. It's definitely an improvement on the K2, but I prefer the KX.

Chris
08-10-2018, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I had a nice K2 which I had serviced by Eric. I too never bonded with mine, and I sold it last year.
I recently had Eric overhaul a K2DMD. It's definitely an improvement on the K2, but I prefer the KX.
What I really miss on the K2 is the Judas window. I keep looking up in the viewfinder for the aperture, but see nothing..........

Phil.
08-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never understood why the in-finder aperture readout was included on the mid-range KX but not on the "top-of-the-line" pro model K2.
Perhaps each model had different design teams, and they didn't talk to one another.

Chris
08-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never understood why the in-finder aperture readout was included on the mid-range KX but not on the "top-of-the-line" pro model K2.
Perhaps each model had different design teams, and they didn't talk to one another.

Chris
Maybe that is why the K2DMD came out?
08-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sure, Pentax addressed some of the K2's shortcomings with the K2DMD, but rather late in the game.

By then the MX had already been posed as the Pentax professional system camera,
soon to be replaced by the LX.

Chris
08-12-2018, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, Pentax addressed some of the K2's shortcomings with the K2DMD, but rather late in the game.

By then the MX had already been posed as the Pentax professional system camera,
soon to be replaced by the LX.

Chris
MX never really had enough unique accessories and features to be a true system camera. K2DMD came close; LX did, in a much smaller format than Nikon or Canon, but by then it was too late. Interesting that Pentax still owns Astro though.
08-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #74

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Given the design and material selection that Pentax poured into developing the LX, I don't think it's much of a risk at all.

Incidentally, the LX was not only the best Pentax SLR, it is the best SLR of any brand and model . . .
Well, the LX may be one of the best film SLRs ever, but many will discuss that assertion.
08-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
Well, the LX may be one of the best film SLRs ever, but many will discuss that assertion.
In terms of system and features, yes. In terms of reliability and serviceability, though... its difficult to match the S-series, Spotmatics, K-series, and M-series cameras.