Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been selling lately. I'm down from around 20 to maybe about 12 at the moment. Unfortunately, it takes much longer to get rid of them than it takes to acquire them. I've had a MIJ K1000 SE and complete ME F with original lens for sale for six months now, and no takers.

12-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #122
Unregistered User

One—a P3N that came with a very nice A 50mm f1.7 for $5. I'm tempted to get batteries for it to see if it works, but when I figure in the cost of film and development: no.
12-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
One—a P3N that came with a very nice A 50mm f1.7 for $5. I'm tempted to get batteries for it to see if it works, but when I figure in the cost of film and development: no.
Yeah, I just realized that with recent sales a 32Gb SD card costs me less than a roll of film, developed and scanned...

But I get a kick out of fooling around with it...

-Eric
12-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I've been selling lately. I'm down from around 20 to maybe about 12 at the moment. Unfortunately, it takes much longer to get rid of them than it takes to acquire them. I've had a MIJ K1000 SE and complete ME F with original lens for sale for six months now, and no takers.

Then perhaps you are asking too high a price for them.

12-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Spotmatic
Spotmatic II
Praktica L
Praktica L2
Topcon 35-L
EOS 30
EOS IX
Pen-EE2
Yashica Zoomtec 80
12-02-2018, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
Then perhaps you are asking too high a price for them.
Or perhaps people are cheap. If they would rather pay $70 for a K1000 of unknown condition and then send it to Eric and HOPE that he can fix it for only the cost of a CLA, than purchase one that is in film tested condition and already CLA'd by Eric for $125 shipped, that's their business I guess. Once you figure in the cost of shipping, and CLA, they are basically getting the MIJ K1000SE for about $20. I don't feel like that's too much to ask.
12-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #127

My wife and I have 21 total (2 non-functional and 2 can't film for).
Spotmatic II (x2), Minolta SR-T 202, Minolta XGA, Nikon D3300, Minolta Autocord TLR, CiroFlex Model B TLR (x2), Compco Reflex 620 TLR (x2), Mamiya M645 1000s, Konica Auto S2, Petri 7S II, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 516, Yashica Eletro 35 GSN and a couple of old digital point & shoot cameras.

Kodak Bantam and Falcon Deluxe Miniature (can't get film)

Kodak Autographic Jr 1A and Agroflex TLR (non-funtional)

12-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just don't get why people collect old film bodies.

I've been a photographer for about 45 years. Shot most types of film cameras over the years. I would always sell my old cameras when I got something newer/better.

My Pentax K-1's, especially in pixel shift mode, produce much better image files than I can get from scanned film (even medium format).

What's the attraction of collecting old film cameras? Film is expensive to shoot/process/print. Film cameras do not have image quality that can hold up do the better digital cameras, and I do believe that their retail value is low (and probably going even lower in the future). What am I missing here?

However, old film lenses are another story entirely. I find some old film lenses perform very well on new digital bodies. These days I'm buying up like-new, medium-format, Bronica SQ lenses for less than $100 and using them on my K-1 with a cheap adapter. The bokeh I'm getting from the Bronica SQ 150mm f/3.5 is exceptional (I have 3 copies and the most expensive one only cost me $88 USD).
12-02-2018, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #129

Film produces a look that digital just doesn't have. Digital it just too "clean". I know you can replicate the look of film but its not the same.

12-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #130

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Or perhaps people are cheap. If they would rather pay $70 for a K1000 of unknown condition and then send it to Eric and HOPE that he can fix it for only the cost of a CLA, than purchase one that is in film tested condition and already CLA'd by Eric for $125 shipped, that's their business I guess. Once you figure in the cost of shipping, and CLA, they are basically getting the MIJ K1000SE for about $20. I don't feel like that's too much to ask.

I fully understand what you say and how you feel. I don't know if it works differently in the US but in the UK any warranty for a service is only good for the person who had the service done. It can't be "sold on". So "your" CLA is only intrinsically worth something to you. When I was buying film cameras, I was buying ones with problems and then getting them serviced because then I was "sure". I have just had my MX fully serviced by Robin who is as good and as well regarded in the Europe as Eric is in the US. I know if I sold it, I would not get the cost of the service back. But then I had it done for me, not for resale value.

At the end of the day, the resale value of any item is only what someone is prepared to pay for it. The insurance or replacement value is different.
12-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With many of my film cameras, especially the 35mm ones, they came attached to lenses I was after.

In some cases, I really liked something about their ergonomics (the MX) or their history (ME-F) and kept them going.

I have searched out a couple of rangefinders, but for playing as much as anything.

From every objective measure I can think of the K1 far surpasses any film camera I own.

But sometimes I’m not in the mood for objectivity

-Eric
12-02-2018, 07:14 PM - 2 Likes   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
What's the attraction of collecting old film cameras? Film is expensive to shoot/process/print. Film cameras do not have image quality that can hold up do the better digital cameras, and I do believe that their retail value is low (and probably going even lower in the future). What am I missing here?
Well, everyone is different, but I found the digital process was sucking the life from my creativity. I started trying film again a year ago with a modest SuperProgram and an A28/2.8 about a year ago. I loved the process so much that I haven't shot digital since. I develop at home, and have an enlarger at home and love everything about it. And all my cameras and all my film (including unshot rolls) and everything else is probably right around the cost of a K1ii body and kit lens.
12-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #133
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Well, everyone is different, but I found the digital process was sucking the life from my creativity. I started trying film again a year ago with a modest SuperProgram and an A28/2.8 about a year ago. I loved the process so much that I haven't shot digital since. I develop at home, and have an enlarger at home and love everything about it. And all my cameras and all my film (including unshot rolls) and everything else is probably right around the cost of a K1ii body and kit lens.
Got that right. Going back to film was a revelation for me, my K3ii is collecting dust. My photography is just better when I have to think about not wasting film. And yes, the process is half of the joy.
12-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #134
Veteran Member

I'm slowly unloading some of my film cameras, many were bought as spares at rock bottom prices as repair facilities were dwindling. I've CLA'd the ones I'm going to keep shooting and running test rolls through the ones I'm going to sell. I've shot way more film than digital in the last few years (35mm & 120), I'm just finding it more interesting. It probably helps that I've a film backlog to get through (although most is expired), the different characteristics of different films influence the way I work and the results I'm aiming for.
12-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I just don't get why people collect old film bodies.
I'm far from a collector, although I have more cameras than I strictly need to shoot film. I call it having a backup, since it's not guaranteed to always find a camera, now that the ones in production are few and far between (and none K mount).

Why shoot film though, I don't know either, but I like it. Maybe it's because I grew up with film cameras, but the ones I had for myself were digital. Maybe because it's that little mystery of not seeing stuff right away, and then remembering things a few weeks after. But I agree, it makes no sense objectively.