Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 124 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2019, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #241
Forum Member

Nothing quite like it when a solid hunk of metal to screams to me "keep your toes out of the way if you drop me.".

02-21-2019, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #242
Forum Member

A couple more I added today. One was free, and the other was ten bucks. Both are fully functional.

02-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Chatting about developing film at birthday party and a former colleague offered me her 1980s Nikon FA for nix. Met to pick it up this morning. 'I'm glad it's going to a good home' she said. 'Better than just throwing it away'.
It's mint!
Cameras beget more cameras.
02-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #244
Forum Member

Its great that some folks don't care about making money on vintage cameras. The above Minolta SRT-101 came with a nice hard case that included 4 lenses, an old school portable mini tripod, a Minolta flash unit, and over 20 different filters and closeup lenses, as well as a pristine original manual. The camera itself looks like a time machine. And it has a new battery in it,

The Fujica works as far as I can tell. I put batteries in it, and the meter appears to be working. But the viewfinder has a ton of specks and what look like little hairs and junk in it. I used a Q-tip and some cleaner on the mirror and the underside of the finder glass, but most of it is still there. I don 't know if its worth paying to have it cleaned or not. The X-Fujinon 55mm f2.2 lens is is super condition.

02-22-2019, 01:35 AM   #245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Brown Quote
Its great that some folks don't care about making money on vintage cameras. The above Minolta SRT-101 came with a nice hard case that included 4 lenses, an old school portable mini tripod, a Minolta flash unit, and over 20 different filters and closeup lenses, as well as a pristine original manual. The camera itself looks like a time machine. And it has a new battery in it,

The Fujica works as far as I can tell. I put batteries in it, and the meter appears to be working. But the viewfinder has a ton of specks and what look like little hairs and junk in it. I used a Q-tip and some cleaner on the mirror and the underside of the finder glass, but most of it is still there. I don 't know if its worth paying to have it cleaned or not. The X-Fujinon 55mm f2.2 lens is is super condition.
The Minolta SR-Ts are some of my favourite cameras. Beautiful to look at, hold and use, I have several.

I've come across several Fujica SLRs in the last few years and have yet to buy one. Occasionally they don't work but usually the problem is that the viewfinder is either extremely dim or full of junk.
02-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #246
Forum Member

I saw a very tiny insect crawling around the viewscreen of the Fujica. So I took the lens off, put the camera in a plastic ziplock bag, and then put it in the freezer overnight. He's dead now. I hear that mites or whatever they are, really like old film cameras for some reason. Something about the residue left by film? I will attempt a thorough cleaning of the camera when I get some time.
02-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #247
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sitting here at work trying to remember them all. I got given a bag of about a dozen assorted point and shoot cameras, the only ones i use are an Olympus stylus 35 3.5, and a Yashica t5 both in excellent working order and great point and shoot cameras, the others include a couple of Minoltas and a Pentax zoom90wr .. in addition i have a Holga, and a Lomo fisheye and a gimmicky Lomo that shoots several exposures at once all barely used.. more serious end I have a Nikon FM2, a Pentax ME super, a Pentax SF1 (the rest were stolen a long time back in 35 mm) medium format a Bronica ETRs and a Fuji GW690 both that work very well and a Mamiya super that needs service. at one point there would have been less point and shoots and another 5 pentax slr , also I have 3 polaroids all in working order all with film

02-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
There are few cameras that evoke the feeling of extra metal for no apparent reason than the Nikkormats do.

Say what you will about weight or "excess" metal, but my Nikon F endured several
major hard accidental impacts with nary a scratch and with no harm to functionality.

Sorry, your lightweight models made in the 1980's onward would not have survived.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-22-2019 at 05:44 PM.
02-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #249
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Say what you will about weight or "excess" metal, but my Nikon F endured several
major hard accidental impacts with nary a scratch and with no harm to functionality.

Sorry, your lightweight models made in the 1980's onward would not have survived.

Chris
mine were built like tanks when i had them. my gw690 could be used as a lethal weapon a solid brick of metal and glass

02-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #250
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
My F3 takes offense to that statement

-Eric
02-24-2019, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #251
Veteran Member

If that gunk in your Fujica is getting you down the Fujis are quite easy to get the lid off and get the prisms out in the main. The AZ1 is a nightmare as the prism top is totally hemmed in with electronics but most of the others are quite straightforward to do.

I neat little tip for cleaning off the top of the focus screen is apply a little bit of low tack tape - give it a few moments and then peel away - voila all of the crud is gone.

Take a look here for a sort of guide - this guys works fast and the video doesn't give many close ups but it gives you the general idea - its actually not that hard

And heres why you shouldn't even think about it with an AZ1 - it makes the guts of a Canon AE-1 look like a box brownie by comparison.

Last edited by Astro-Baby; 01-05-2020 at 05:56 AM.
02-24-2019, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Chatting about developing film at birthday party and a former colleague offered me her 1980s Nikon FA for nix. Met to pick it up this morning. 'I'm glad it's going to a good home' she said. 'Better than just throwing it away'.
It's mint!
Cameras beget more cameras.
Thats how I got my OM-1s - an online friend heard I loved old film and said 'hey I have two old Olympus cameras - you can have them for nothing' I offered to pay but she was adamant she didn't want them and didn't want the headache of ebay etc. They were such beauties I sent her some small Christmas gifts. The world does have some nice people in it.
02-28-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #253
Forum Member

Added another today.

03-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #254
Veteran Member

Ohhhh ahhhhh a Nikkormat .....lovely. I am suspending getting any more as the collection has gone a bit mad and other half is moaning plus I need to fund some CLA work
03-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #255
Forum Member

I love these Nikkormats. I have another on incoming in a few days. I have my eye on another one, as well. I need to find some more primes for them.

Speaking of CLA....this black one has a pretty jumpy meter. On slower shutter speeds. Above 250 it's fine. is there a fix for this, or is this just the way it will be for this particular camera?

Last edited by John Brown; 03-01-2019 at 05:45 PM.