Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2018, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the grip is quite nice to hold. It is much better than the stock standard! Very retro too

08-03-2018, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Those older screw mount Pentax cameras look nice!
I've seen some magnificent M42 lenses. Maybe I'll be able to get an adapter to get them to work on my K1000 or future DSLR.

---------- Post added 08-03-18 at 07:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Yes, the grip is quite nice to hold. It is much better than the stock standard! Very retro too
Yeah, I bet!
I wonder why you don't see more with that pattern/texture. I think it looks better and is more practical than the standard.
Maybe it wasn't in fashion at the time?
08-03-2018, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have 33 working film cameras and that’s a modest collection. There’s a current thread asking the question how many film cameras you own. I think the high reported number so far is 203.
Yes, there comes a point where it is hard to manage the number of cameras in a collection. I have ~45 and not all are working (but the intention is to have them serviced). When servicing costs ~$100 each (depending on model) then you can see how expensive this addition can be.

---------- Post added 04-08-18 at 12:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Those older screw mount Pentax cameras look nice!
I've seen some magnificent M42 lenses. Maybe I'll be able to get an adapter to get them to work on my K1000 or future DSLR.

---------- Post added 08-03-18 at 07:51 PM ----------

Yeah, I bet!
I wonder why you don't see more with that pattern/texture. I think it looks better and is more practical than the standard.
Maybe it wasn't in fashion at the time?
I suspect it was a rare variant for marketing purposes - and you probably paid a premium for it too. I would thoroughly recommend getting your hands on an H2/S2 model in black. Now they look nice and there is no electrics - serviced, these cameras will last forever.
08-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #19

Original Poster
Yes, there comes a point where it is hard to manage the number of cameras in a collection. I have ~45 and not all are working (but the intention is to have them serviced). When servicing costs ~$100 each (depending on model) then you can see how expensive this addition can be.

---------- Post added 04-08-18 at 12:54 PM ----------

I suspect it was a rare variant for marketing purposes - and you probably paid a premium for it too. I would thoroughly recommend getting your hands on an H2/S2 model in black. Now they look nice and there is no electrics - serviced, these cameras will last forever.
Oh my, that'll add up quite a lot...
Less expensive than buying all of them new, though!

One of those long-term hobby projects. Something to chip away at for a while.

08-03-2018, 07:56 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's quite a lot!
I have 2, one being my K1000 SE and the other being my Nikon FE.
It's not too unreasonable to imagine someone having so many, especially when people are basically giving these old film cameras away, unknowing their value.
Very nice! You have the manual camera ‘bug’ I just recently acquired a nice brown leatherette SE and I have a Nikon FE2. I got my first camera - a KX - in 1977and an MESuper in 1984. Around 1998 I started buying used film cameras to try out and I’ve sort of kept them instead of selling them. I only collect the earliest Pentax cameras.
08-03-2018, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

my suggestion is, is to carefully study the camera database and look at buying a couple that appeal to you. There are some rarities and some real nice types. Take you pick. Most of them a great. They all tell a story and there is nothing like having one in your hands and sharing the story with a non-film non-pentax photographer.
08-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #22

Original Poster
Very nice! You have the manual camera ‘bug’ I just recently acquired a nice brown leatherette SE and I have a Nikon FE2. I got my first camera - a KX - in 1977and an MESuper in 1984. Around 1998 I started buying used film cameras to try out and I’ve sort of kept them instead of selling them. I only collect the earliest Pentax cameras.
Yeah, I've been pretty fortunate to have them as my first SLRs!

Those are nice cameras! I find it hard to sell things once I've used them for a bit. You get attached to them after a little time.

08-03-2018, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

The KX in black is a seriously nice camera (and really good too). In the K series is is probably only bettered by the K2 DMD. No wonder you stayed with Pentax - your beginnings were akin to entrapment.
08-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #24

Original Poster
my suggestion is, is to carefully study the camera database and look at buying a couple that appeal to you. There are some rarities and some real nice types. Take you pick. Most of them a great. They all tell a story and there is nothing like having one in your hands and sharing the story with a non-film non-pentax photographer.
Good suggestion!

I'll have to look into the Pentax H2/S2. I love strictly mechanical cameras, they're just so much more satisfying, hearing all the gears and whatnot. I have an old Revere Model 81 Cine camera, and it's music to hear it running.

And yeah, it's fun to tell people about something that you are passionate about.
08-03-2018, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

use the genuine adapter. all legacy pentax lenses (K mount or M42) can be used on Pentax DSLRs - love the backwards compatibility.

---------- Post added 04-08-18 at 01:07 PM ----------

this collection is stunning. A nice black H2/S2 is amongst them

Asahi Pentax - S / H Series - stemac
08-03-2018, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
use the genuine adapter. all legacy pentax lenses (K mount or M42) can be used on Pentax DSLRs - love the backwards compatibility.

---------- Post added 04-08-18 at 01:07 PM ----------

this collection is stunning. A nice black H2/S2 is amongst them

Asahi Pentax - S / H Series - stemac
Yeah, I love the interchangeability of the K mount as well!
One of the primary reasons I'd be getting a Pentax DSLR, I get to use their gigantic library of quality lenses from many different generations.

And wow, that's a very nice collection! The older, more geometrically shaped lenses look great! And the cameras look like they're in great condition as well!
08-03-2018, 08:14 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KX in black is a seriously nice camera (and really good too). In the K series is is probably only bettered by the K2 DMD. No wonder you stayed with Pentax - your beginnings were akin to entrapment.
See my Avatar? That’s a crop from the image of my KX I supplied for the database.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 08-03-2018 at 08:20 PM.
08-03-2018, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, got it for $10 with 5 lenses at an auction!
Wow good find. I still have mine from 1977-78 It came with an eye cup mounted there. The eye cup is long since gone.
08-03-2018, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Pentax film camera collection stops at the M series; mostly working. The main one that doesn't is unfortunately the S from 1958, and it was recently assessed as unrepairable. That’s a shame as there were less than 5,000 built and are consequently very rare. My favourites of the working ones are the 1957 AP, the 1961-ish black S1a, the 1964 early Spotmatic, the 1975 K2 and 1976 MX, all with original standard lenses. The last one has a winder on it and I’ve had it from new. It originally had a rubber eyecup, but that’s long since disintegrated.
08-04-2018, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #30

There are many attachments such as an image magnifier,a right angle finder there are also eyesight correction lenses for spectacle wearers and finally a rubber eyecup