Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Overexposed Left Edge on the My MX

I recently returned to shoot film. I bought MX in good shape and serviced it by Eric last year. Most of photos have overexposed light strip at left edge. As example, see negative and converted image attached (scanned by Pentax K-01). Not a deal breaker as anyway I usually crop a lot, but I would like to know if fix is possible.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
08-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I recently returned to shoot film. I bought MX in good shape and serviced it by Eric last year. Most of photos have overexposed light strip at left edge. As example, see negative and converted image attached (scanned by Pentax K-01). Not a deal breaker as anyway I usually crop a lot, but I would like to know if fix is possible.
How many frames can you see this in? All of them? Is the over-exposed strip always in the exact same spot, or does it vary in width at all. And finally, were the shots that show this issue taken with the same shutter speed or near? I ask because it looks like a shutter-capping issue, wherein (often) the trailing curtain isn't closing quite fast enough which results in one vertical section being incorrectly exposed. If it was serviced by Eric I'd send a message with examples and ask his opinion.
08-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was going to say you may need a CLA for it, but seeing that you sent it to Eric already for service made me think that it may be a developing issue.
08-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I see such a strip on most of frames. Yes, it was serviced by Eric last fall. I'll probably contact him. If fix is expensive I will live with current state.

08-05-2018, 12:03 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

That looks like the trailing curtain is bouncing.
08-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I see such a strip on most of frames. Yes, it was serviced by Eric last fall. I'll probably contact him. If fix is expensive I will live with current state.
Again, same shutter speeds? Same location and width each time? Are there frames that do *not* exhibit it and if so can you recall their exposure settings. A couple more examples would help... But yeah, give Eric a shout.
08-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Two more examples...

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Again, same shutter speeds? Same location and width each time? Are there frames that do *not* exhibit it and if so can you recall their exposure settings. A couple more examples would help... But yeah, give Eric a shout.
I shoot roll within single hour in Mission district San Francisco. And all frames have such a strip. Unfortunately I did not get a habit yet to write down shutter and exposure (lens was A-35 mm 2.8). As far as I remember most frames were 1/60 or 1/125.

I removed attachments as they are not relevant anymore

Last edited by jumbleview; 08-12-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Attachment removed
08-06-2018, 05:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not contact Eric and send him the images of the scanned negatives?

Chris
08-06-2018, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #9

Can't imagine he'd charge you to correct this, aside from shipping.
08-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for suggestion. From what I searched on-line that cannot be light seal leak (leak overexposure does not have sharp boundary). So indeed probably something with curtain mechanic. I contacted Eric. He needs camera for evaluation and I'll send it late this week. I'll post about the resolution.
08-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I misled folks on the forum ( and even Eric). I decided to investigate more before sending camera to Eric and found this dark strip has nothing to do with film camera. It is problem with the way how I scan film. Film is in the holder and looks like holder frame separator affects shot. See attachments: first scan is a regular mine (I just try to fit frame on the sensor of K-01). Second is test where edge is in the middle part of K-01 sensor. The difference clearly visible. Has to find out how to change my scanning setup.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by jumbleview; 08-12-2018 at 09:43 PM.
08-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I misled folks on the forum ( and even Eric). I decided to investigate more before sending camera to Eric and found this dark strip has nothing to do with film camera. It is problem with the way how I scan film. Film is in the holder and looks like holder frame separator affects shot. See attachments: first scan is a regular mine (I just try to fit frame on the sensor of K-01). Second is test where edge is in the middle part of K-01 sensor. The difference clearly visible. Has to find out how to change my scanning setup.
Scanning is its own skill

Are you using a camera to scan?
08-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Scanning is its own skill

Are you using a camera to scan?
Yes, I put film strip (inside plastic holder) on top of light table. Then I make macro photo of each frame with pentax K-01 and 35 Limited macro lens.
08-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

View the negatives on a light table without the holder.
If the defect is no longer evident then you have your answer.

Chris