Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #1

Split Prism focusing screens for K1000

were any unofficial ones made? were there any official ones made? can you still get them?

i've got a cheap Split prism focusing screen on my *ist DS, and i'm getting used to that. also, i can't really make out where the center microprism makes things blury...

09-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nakey the K1000 does not have interchangeable screens. I think though some of the later models possibly K1000 SE models had split focusing screens.
09-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The K1000 SE came with a split prism so if you can find one cheap as a parts camera you can get one that way. But it's not something you can easily change and would probably need to be done by a repair facility.

CW
09-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #4

Original Poster

I think i'm just spoilt with the changable focusing screens on my DSLRs then

thanks anyway

09-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If a split screen is what you want there are other models to choose from. The MX probably has the best viewfinder sans the LX out of the manual cameras. The MX has interchangeable screens. If you want a heftier model like the K1000 the KX or K2 models probably have split screens.
09-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

ME Super has a very nice split prism. Nicer viewfinder then the K1000 too.
09-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Forum Member

I have a Chinese era K1000 SE and it has a split focusing screen. Life would be a lot less enjoyable without it. I don't know if screens can be changed, but that would be cool since I have a big spot on mine.

I just purchased a Ricoh film SLR off of ebay and I'm glad to find out that it does in fact have a split-screen. Whew! I was scared for a second...

09-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasquatch Quote
I have a Chinese era K1000 SE and it has a split focusing screen. Life would be a lot less enjoyable without it. I don't know if screens can be changed, but that would be cool since I have a big spot on mine.

I just purchased a Ricoh film SLR off of ebay and I'm glad to find out that it does in fact have a split-screen. Whew! I was scared for a second...
Boy, I just wonder about this. It has been said that the Spotmatic F is a K1000 with an M42 mount. I have never taken that too literally, but to be honest, this would give my F a new lease on life. As it is I am considering selling it because my eyes are shot.

Anyone know the extent to which I might get away with this? Should I send a message off to Eric?

Seaain.
09-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Boy, I just wonder about this. It has been said that the Spotmatic F is a K1000 with an M42 mount. I have never taken that too literally, but to be honest, this would give my F a new lease on life. As it is I am considering selling it because my eyes are shot.

Anyone know the extent to which I might get away with this? Should I send a message off to Eric?

Seaain.
On page 4 of the Spotmatic F manual, under Viewfinder it has as the second line, "Also, one with split image focusing screen is available." I don't know if it was just that some of the F's came with the split image or if it was something that had to be ordered. But I'll bet Eric would know.

CW
09-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
On page 4 of the Spotmatic F manual, under Viewfinder it has as the second line, "Also, one with split image focusing screen is available." I don't know if it was just that some of the F's came with the split image or if it was something that had to be ordered. But I'll bet Eric would know.

CW
To be honest, I can't tell much difference in focusing my K1000 and my F. They both have a split image matte focusing screen.
09-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll report back.

Seaain
09-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I suppose that it IS the combination of split and microprism focusing screens that I enjoy. I don't know that I would like it as much if it were ONLY split-image. Hmm....