Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Well, that isn't really true since the Asahiflex Ia also had viewfinder that didn't black out after exposing the picture. The Asahiflex I had the mirror attached to the shutter, pressing down on the shutter, flips the mirror up, releasing the shutter, brings the mirror down, so important to keep the finger on the shutter long enough for the exporsure to complete.

The AP was the first with a pentaprism with an automatic returning mirror some claims, I am not sure that is really true when looking at the Asahiflex 1a.
Does that mean that on a long exposure you have to keep the shutter depressed?

There were other variations to the "automatic return mirror" but the implementation used in the AP became the standard.

08-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Very cool! I wonder where the agency was deployed? Find anything about the agency?
Arms Control and Disarmament Agency - Wikipedia

Thanks. The above Wikipedia article explains what it's all about. I know it's lazy to just post a link, but it would take me a long time to type it all out.

---------- Post added 08-12-18 at 02:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Nice camera. Doesn't look like it was ever used either - if it were a camera used in a comparable Australian agency it wouldn't look so good
Thanks. The camera does look good, but there are definitely a few issues. The mirror is floppy and the film advance lever is losing its springiness. It'll be getting an overhaul soon. Wish I could see what photos that camera has taken... probably pretty interesting!

Last edited by Driftwood; 08-12-2018 at 02:23 PM.
08-14-2018, 07:18 PM - 3 Likes   #18

I collect the 6x7 system. Back in the film era it was the system I aspired to, but could never afford. Once the digital era took over and secondhand prices went into freefall I picked up a body and a few lenses to shoot with and found I really liked it. When I went looking for more information I found that really, there is nothing out there other than the catalogs. I ended up getting a little obsessed with researching the system which in turn lead to me collecting most of the system simply to know what is out there. Even then there are items that don't appear in any catalogs (like the SMCT version of the 500/5.6) and things that are in the catalogs that don't appear to have been manufactured (the Super-Macro-Takumar version of the 135/4). I still don't know how many cameras were made (around 220,000 6x7/67 and an unknown number of 67II) and every so often something new will appear to change what I thought I knew.

A good example is the film type select, a familiar switch that says 120/220 or 10/21 in green and yellow paint. Except that the first bodies had a different switch and the paint was white, and then for a while the paint was yellow and blue (like the feet/meters marking on lenses) before changing to yellow and green. I have no idea why it changed.

08-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
I ended up getting a little obsessed with researching the system which in turn lead to me collecting most of the system simply to know what is out there.
There was a Pentax 67 for sale recently on Photrio that has a removable rear film door. It doesn't look factory, but I've read that pentax did some factory modifications, like the multi exposure mod, so maybe it was that.

Pentax 67 body with meter prism (photos updated) | PHOTRIO

I also recently saw one with a an extra strap peg on the left side. I'm not sure why it was there? Maybe is was added because someone liked to add and remove their wood grip, and didn't like to have to move the strap attachment point every time. No idea if it was a factory mod, but it looked well done, with original parts.

My favorite is this:

Exc+++++ Only one in the World Pentax Metal Hand Grip for 6x7 67 67II From JAPAN 2000001216194 | eBay

It is like the wood grip, but made of metal. Its probably harder to hold, but it has one nice feature: a tripod mount on the grip for mounting the camera in portrait position. *

* I know that a better solution is the Kirk BL-6X7II L-plate, but I've been looking for a while, and a week ago, one finally showed up on eBay, so I watched it. It ended up selling for just shy of $600! For an L bracket!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/263858379796?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Last edited by abruzzi; 08-15-2018 at 02:14 PM.
08-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #20

The multi exposure mod is the only one that I am certain is factory designed as I have the service instructions for carrying out the mod. Other things I have seen that might be factory approved include the mechanical Bulb mod (to the mirror rest button) and the 6x7 version of the 500/4.5. And then there is this, which I assume is a MLU retrofit given its location on the body. It looks aftermarket but I have seen another one the same, so maybe it is a factory mod.

08-15-2018, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks OP, your posts are always informative. Trying to keep the information straight in my head, I cobbled notes together on differences on the earlier Pentax models from many other sources. Some may find this composition useful.

The Asahi Pentax S2 / H2 came out in the autumn of 1959, introducing a single stationary shutter-speed dial. The slow speed dial at the camera front is gone. The camera was available in chrome or black finish. Among the improvements is a Fresnel focusing screen with a central micro-prism spot, but the 1/1000 sec top speed was gone. The US distributor was now the Heiland division of the Honeywell Corporation, and the model accordingly engraved H2 on the top plate, and soon the Asahi name was replaced by Heiland on the prism housing. A tiny indicator window next to the shutter release showing red when the camera is wound was introduced with this model, a feature that is found on every model including the 1975 series KM, KX and K1000, but is left out on K2.

The Asahi Pentax S3 / H3 was presented at the 1960 Photokina. Again it features the 1/1000 sec top shutter speed and a faster Auto-Takumar1: 1.8 / 55mm standard lens. During its production run, the clip on Asahi Pentax Meter became available, requiring a notch in the shutter-speed dial to engage. Its scale indicates directly the aperture value to be set at the lens.
The Asahi Pentax S1 / H1 was launched in 1961 as a compliment to the previous model. The fastest speed indicted on the shutter-speed dial is 500, while still working at 1/1000 sec. It was removed for marketing reasons, as was the faster 1:1.8 lens. It was replaced by the slower 1:2 aperture standard lens, permitting a lower sales price to meet the competition, while the provision for the exposure meter was retained. The semi-automatic lens must be manually cocked to stay open and to stop down to the pre-selected aperture when the shutter is released.
Note: A Super-Takumar lens may not properly work on Auto, because the lever in the camera may not push the lens pin fully closed. Once one has an exposure setting, one can close the lens by selecting lens to manual (after composing wide open on auto setting)

The Asahi Pentax SV / H3v was launched in 1963. This introduces the fully automatic aperture operation on the Asahi Pentax cameras. For the US market, this model was regarded as a replacement for the H3 with the addition of a self-timer (v), which was the other new thing on this model. It is situated under the rewind knob with an integral film reminder dial. A curved arrow and a chrome release button on the top plate next to it complement the function. A yellow engraved V on the dial indicates when the picture will be taken as seen from the camera front. A new automatic resetting frame counter is placed under a cover on top of the wind-lever hub. The standard lens is the Super-Takumar 1:1.8 / 55mm.

The Asahi Pentax S1a / H1a is the economy complement to the SV, at a 20% discount. It lacked the self-timer and came with the Super-Takumar 1:2 / 55mm lens. As on the S1, it also has a hidden 1/1000 sec. click stop on the shutter speed dial (though the speed may not be an accurate 1/1000 since that required special selection by the factory of the speed cam, which was not done for S1/H1 series bodies), and the lens is optically not different from the 1:1.8 version. The Asahi Pentax S1a (H1a in USA) was manufactured by Asahi Optical Company from 1962 to 1968 and is a desirable Pentax camera showing the final development of the S Series
There were 2 types of S1a differentiated by the colour of the letter "R" on the rewind knob The earlier Type I had a Green "R" and the later Type II from 1966 onwards had an Orange "R"
A number of changes were made in the Type II S1a and SV with 7 digit serial number 1XXXXXX to allow the use of the New Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 released with the New Spotmatic SP - This early 8 element 50mm F1.4 had a protruding rear element and cannot be used on any of the Asahi Pentax cameras prior to the Type II S1a and SV

The S1a has a notch in the shutter speed dial to allow connection to the Asahi Exposure Meter which was mounted on the pentaprism. The Asahi Pentax S1a was available in both Chrome and Black finishes
The Asahi Pentax S1a was also badge engineered with different top plates for different markets as the Honeywell Pentax H1a
The Asahi Pentax S1a body incorporated a mechanism which activated the stop down pin on AutoTakumar and Super Takumar Lenses when the shutter was fired.
SuperTakumar Lenses Automatically stopped down from full aperture for focusing and composition to taking aperture when the shutter was fired and the Lens automatically reset for the next shot.
A series of Super Takumar Lenses were produced for the Asahi Pentax S1a SV and the New Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. The SV has a self timer and top speed 1/1000. The S1A has a top speed of 1/500 alhough an unmarked detent in place of the 1/1000 speed is supposed to work.

This concludes the so-called S-family of Pentax cameras, followed in 1964 by the Spotmatic family. These S-cameras are sturdy and dependable still after half a century if cared for, and are just as capable now as they were back then. It is always a joy to pick up one and know the shutter still fires correctly.
The Asahi Pentax Meter, is a separately available CdS exposure meter that clips on to the finder eyepiece frame, sitting on top of the finder housing. The first version is missing a battery check position on the meter switch. These were followed later by a somewhat clumsy rectangular one, which must not be confused with a similar meter made available for the meter-less Spotmatic SL on which the shutter-speed dial is differently situated

G.v. Oosten notes that the following numbers of the S-series were build (the Spotmatic-series was produced in about 4 Million numbers total):
Asahi-Pentax
Pentax S
ca. 4.900
Pentax K
Pentax S2/ H2
1959-1963
Pentax S3/ H3
1961-1969
Pentax S1/ H1
1961-1963
ca. 46.500
Pentax S2 super
1962-1968
ca. 52.500
Pentax SV
1962-1968
ca. 481.696
Pentax S1a
1962-1968
ca. 135.352
Total

08-17-2018, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why do I collect film cameras from Asahi Opt Co?
Because collecting Asahi Film Cameras and Lenses is a lot cheaper than collecting cars !
And, takes up a lot less storage room, too I have 68 Asahi Film Cameras now.

Sixty Eight Collector Cars would attract the wrong kind of attention from the Spousal Unit.

Last edited by Moe49; 08-20-2018 at 06:09 AM.
08-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The AP was the first with a pentaprism with an automatic returning mirror some claims, I am not sure that is really true when looking at the Asahiflex 1a.
I've never seen that claim. The AP was the first Japanese SLR with a pentaprism...The instant return mirror and right handed quick film advance lever are always listed as things added to the Asahiflex during its several revisions.
12-26-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I wanted to display three cameras that represent one of the reasons why I collect cameras, specifically Asahi Opt. Co. stuff.

The K1000 was a huge success, it sold in large numbers, and still is "hot" for students of photography.

It came to market in 1976, basically a simplified Pentax KM without the depth of field preview and self-timer.

It was produced until 1997 (!) and even after that cameras based on the K1000 was made under various brands in China.

Two basic versions existed: K1000 with black leatherette and micro prism and then the K1000 SE with either black or brown leatherette and combo micro prism/split screen.

You can find many variants, from made in Japan versions, to Hong Kong to China, a slanted split screen and dimond shaped leatherette. Screw configurations on the top cover revels the origin of the camera. Lots of great fun for a collector!

The photo attached show the three version I have in my collection. All three working as they should, with recent CLA and repairs.

Top i the original K1000 early version Made in Japan. Lower left is the first K1000 SE, it has the sticker instead of engraved SE. The Lower right hand shows the Made in Hong Kong version of K1000SE.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo