Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Sounds like you need a GX680III, the most completely off-the-hook medium format camera ever.

I know I want one, even though I would hate to lug one around.
Oh my...

08-30-2018, 11:38 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Just after I posted this thread I found a deal on a Hasselblad kit. So I've now got a freshly CLA'd 500cm and two matching numbers A12 backs on their way. Just need to find some lenses to go with it now, so if anyone is looking to offload a 80mm Planar C T* and/or 50mm Distagon C T*
Sooooooooo, bit of an update.

I found a 80mm Planar, it just came with a few accessories...

Turns out a local retired photog was offloading his kit.

500cm
SWC/M
500ELM
80mm Planar C T*
150mm Sonnar CF T*
A12 backs x3
Polaroid back
Ground-glass screen adapter for the SWC/M
WLF
Chimney finder
Vivitar 2x tele converter

And I still have the original 500cm + A12 on it's way
09-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Sooooooooo, bit of an update.

I found a 80mm Planar, it just came with a few accessories...

Turns out a local retired photog was offloading his kit.

500cm
SWC/M
500ELM
80mm Planar C T*
150mm Sonnar CF T*
A12 backs x3
Polaroid back
Ground-glass screen adapter for the SWC/M
WLF
Chimney finder
Vivitar 2x tele converter

And I still have the original 500cm + A12 on it's way
Congrats on your new gear.

Some thoughts from my experience with my 500C/M. Firstly, you most likely want to replace the focus screen in the 500C/M if it's stock. If you find yourself focus hunting then it's time for a new one. An Acute Matte D works way better. Things snap into focus nicely and mine has the split focus option.

Secondly, if you get all Bay 60 lenses you will find filters and lens hoods a sweet deal. CF T* lenses are mostly Bay 60. I have a 50, 60, 80, 100, 120 and 150mm lenses all Bay 60 and I only need a few lens hoods and one set of colored filters for BW work. You can get a Bay 60 to 67mm adapter for screw-on threaded filters. My Pentax 67, 67mm bayonet filters fit my Zeiss Bay 60 lenses.

And what a laugh. The mirror not returning is a feature not a problem. I can't imagine why someone would find it a problem and complain. That's the internet and the overly hypersensitive crowd. You want to advance the frame after each shot! Why? Because if you take the lens off without advancing the frame you can't get it back on without taking a screw driver and rotating a slot through the barn doors from the back. With the mirror not returning until you advance the frame forces you to get into that habit.

The 500C/M is a mechanical camera. No batteries. That is a sweet deal, IMHO. And the hot swapping backs is a killer feature that out weights a lot!. While square frames offer some unique compositions, I found myself not always wanting to shoot square so I needed another camera just an FYI.

Last edited by tuco; 09-05-2018 at 11:17 AM.
09-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And what a laugh. The mirror not returning is a feature not a problem. I can't imagine why someone would find it a problem and complain. That's the internet and the overly hypersensitive crowd. You want to advance the frame after each shot! Why? Because if you take the lens off without advancing the frame you can't get it back on without taking a screw driver and rotating a slot through the barn doors from the back. With the mirror not returning until you advance the frame forces you to get into that habit.
You'll find people that prefer TLRs or rangefinders because they don't like the momentary blackout. Pentax supposedly pioneered the instant return mirror over a mirror that had to be reset after each shot. So, while I don't know anyone's preference, its good to know what you're getting into rather than be surprised.

09-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

You'll find people that prefer TLRs or rangefinders because they don't like the momentary blackout. Pentax supposedly pioneered the instant return mirror over a mirror that had to be reset after each shot. So, while I don't know anyone's preference, its good to know what you're getting into rather than be surprised.
Momentary black out? How is that a problem? Please explain. And remember this is medium format film we're talking about and hand cranked film advance! Not sports photography.
09-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Momentary black out? How is that a problem? Please explain. And remember this is medium format film we're talking about and hand cranked film advance! Not sports photography.
I never said it was a problem, but other people have. I have no idea why, that's their own personal muse. There a guy on Photrio with the username "Rollei Dan" selling his book entitled "Never Seeing Nothing" so clearly its important to him. I see lots of other posts from people on the internet making similar comments. I doubt its a majority opinion, though I have heard mirrorless users make the same complaint about DSLRs. I long ago realized that creativity and the creative process is very personal, and rarely rational, so I don't question the needs people have to help their creative process. I have found that for me computers destroy my creative process, so I have tried to remove them from anything creative I do, for other people computers are the key to their creative process.
09-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I never said it was a problem, but other people have. I have no idea why, that's their own personal muse. There a guy on Photrio with the username "Rollei Dan" selling his book entitled "Never Seeing Nothing" so clearly its important to him. I see lots of other posts from people on the internet making similar comments. I doubt its a majority opinion, though I have heard mirrorless users make the same complaint about DSLRs. I long ago realized that creativity and the creative process is very personal, and rarely rational, so I don't question the needs people have to help their creative process. I have found that for me computers destroy my creative process, so I have tried to remove them from anything creative I do, for other people computers are the key to their creative process.
Are you sure these other people are shooting medium format film? The only reason I can think of for not wanting black out is to take another shot while tracking or watching for the decisive moment. Yeah, that's something we do all the time with MF film that has, say, 8 frames per roll. I have a medium format rangefinder and being able to keep looking through the viewfinder with the camera pressed against my face all while trying to advance the next frame is not something I even say is a feature. Compare that to hot-swapping backs.

09-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The black-out can be a feature...
Did you see the perfectly timed shot through the viewfinder? No? Then you got it 🙂
What’s amazing is how well that works...
If you compare the 67 to a Mamiya RB/RZ, you might feel it shakes a lot more when you shoot than the Mamiyas. It does, because the mirror has to come back down...
But the 500c/m has one of the most distinctive shutter sounds ever.
That ‘POP/snick’ is awesome.

-Eric
09-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't know the reasons, but Rollie Dan seems to be a hardcore Rolleiflex user so I'm sure his book was shot 6x6. The rangefinder people were more often Leica users, not medium format users. While I don't remember it being explicit in some of the discussions I read, it didn't seem to be about firing off another shot quickly, but maybe about seeing the before and after of the shot you take? Maybe for them it helps them visualize the moment they captured better. I prefer SLRs, and my Bronica blacks out after I take the shot, so it doesn't bother me. Before I bought it, when I found out that it didn't have an automatic return mirror, it did give me a moment of pause before I placed my bid, but in the end, I fine with it.
09-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
But the 500c/m has one of the most distinctive shutter sounds ever.
That ‘POP/snick’ is awesome.

-Eric
The 500C/M is a strange beast. It is a leaf shutter system with a mirror that flops up and down and a rear barn door system that makes the lion's share of its sound. And the operator of the camera needs to remember to keep the barn doors open longer than the shutter speed of the lens. It's not a concern most of the time but slow shutter speeds can be a gotcha if you forget.
09-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you need a GX680III, the most completely off-the-hook medium format camera ever. ... I know I want one, even though I would hate to lug one around.
That thing is awsome. I think that the word "Professional" on the side is a bit superfluous though