Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 04:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax auto exposure camera

I have been a 100% Pentax user since my photo hobby was revitalised in 2008. My first DSLR, the K20D, was later supplemented with the K5 and the K5iis. I have also been interested in film photography and have invested in a Pentax 67ii system and many Pentax SLRs, I currently own the Spotmatic, KX, MX and the ME Super.

Recently I have been wanting to check out film cameras featuring auto exposure (aperture priority), because I have ended up appreciating aperture priority on the Pentax 67ii and on my DSLRs. Previously I owned a nice K2, but I did not bond with this camera, so I sold it. I have also owned a ME, and currently own a ME Super, but I do not really like any of these cameras, they are too small and do not have the build quality I have learned to appreciate with especially the KX but also the MX.

I have never used a Pentax LX, but the LX could have been a viable option for me if it had not been for the fact that the LX is very expensive to purchase and, based on what I have read here and on other forums, also in many cases needs expensive CLA.

Therefore I have been purchasing some film cameras with auto exposure from other brands lately, amongst these the Nikon FE and FE2 and two lenses (Nikkor 55/2.8 micro AL-S and Nikkor 135/3.5 AL-S). I have changed the light seals and mirror dampers of the Nikons, and I hope to start using them soon. The FE and FE2 seem like very robust and capable cameras, I only wish they had been made with a Pentax K-mount instead of the Nikon F-mount

I guess there are many of you that use multiple camera systems. Does it make sense to have a small Nikon auto exposure 35mm film camera kit or is the Pentax LX a better option?

If settling for a small Nikon 35mm film kit, would I gain anything from looking for a Nikon FM2n, or are my Pentax KX and MX equally good cameras?

I would appreciate hearing your experience on auto exposure cameras and owning multiple systems.

-Bjørn

Last edited by bjolester; 09-02-2018 at 04:54 AM.
09-02-2018, 04:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K2 is a very good camera. The ASA dial is a little quirky but manageable. Was this the reason for not bonding with the K2?

I ask, as the K2 DMD is perhaps the camera you are after. The K2 DMD has a small edge over the K2 as it has the judas window that the KX has (and is missing on the K2). Not as expensive as the LX either.

I do think you would like the LX though. It is arguable the best film camera ever made so its asking price is justified.
09-02-2018, 04:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a Nikon F3 that replaced a broken FM. I’m kicking myself for not just buying a LX instead... My idea was to have something to hold any bargain Nikon lenses I came across. I should have bought a FG 🙂.

The FE/FE2 are nice cameras, and there’s nothing exactly like them in the Pentax lineup I can think of. The LX is nicer in nearly every way, and the ME Super is a very different design philosophy.

You might also want to consider the Super Program. While battery dependent, it has a robust and useful feature set (and works in a limited way with the new lenses without aperture rings). I used one for years.

-Eric
09-02-2018, 04:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for commenting Mark! Well, I love my Pentax KX cameras, maybe due to the ergonomical layout, perfect size and weight and the shutter sound. My problem with the K2 was probably partly the ASA dial, but also the size of the camera. Somehow I just never felt comfortable when shooting with it, so I sold it.

Maybe I need to think seriously about checking out the Pentax LX?

-Bjørn

09-02-2018, 05:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjolester Quote
I currently own the Spotmatic, KX, MX and the ME Super.
... and most likely you are looking for LX to satisfy your GAS Unless you need something special like macro viewfinder or plan some extreme shooting like in 20 degrees below zero, LX does not have any edge over similar cameras (yes, I know it's a heresy). I have LX and Super Program (Super A), and the latter sees definitely more action. It is smaller, lighter, well built and costed fraction of price of LX. As per other systems, I use Mamiya RB, but this is entirely different story.
09-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I have a Nikon F3 that replaced a broken FM. I’m kicking myself for not just buying a LX instead... My idea was to have something to hold any bargain Nikon lenses I came across. I should have bought a FG ��.

The FE/FE2 are nice cameras, and there’s nothing exactly like them in the Pentax lineup I can think of. The LX is nicer in nearly every way, and the ME Super is a very different design philosophy.

You might also want to consider the Super Program. While battery dependent, it has a robust and useful feature set (and works in a limited way with the new lenses without aperture rings). I used one for years.

-Eric
Thank you for sharing your experience with Nikon and Pentax! The Super Program could be an interesting option.

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 15:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
... and most likely you are looking for LX to satisfy your GAS Unless you need something special like macro viewfinder or plan some extreme shooting like in 20 degrees below zero
In fact, cold weather suitability is quite important to me, because I often use my cameras in the cold Norwegian winter. So far the Pentax 67ii, KX and MX have all performed immaculately in very cold weather (minus 10-20 degrees celcius).

I guess I am most of all exploring different options for 35mm film cameras with auto exposure (aperture priority).

Last edited by bjolester; 09-02-2018 at 08:02 AM.
09-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The upside of Nikon, lenses can be found cheaper. The downside, you can't use them on your Pentax. I would give the super program a look first. Of course my favorite is the film camera is a toss up between the pz-1 and Nikon f2a.

09-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I often use my cameras in the cold Norwegian winter
Well, in such situation LX with its partially mechanical shutter speeds can be viable option. Super Program or other analog cameras with substantial amount of electronics could turn out to be problematic.
09-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thank you for commenting Mark! Well, I love my Pentax KX cameras, maybe due to the ergonomical layout, perfect size and weight and the shutter sound. My problem with the K2 was probably partly the ASA dial, but also the size of the camera. Somehow I just never felt comfortable when shooting with it, so I sold it.

If the MEs were too small, and the K2 was too big, then the LX would be the only real camera in the middle of those sizes, I believe?

But isn't the ME almost exactly the same size as the MX, which you loved?

The Super Program is about the same as the ME, but it has a grip on it, so it might be better than the ME, somehow, for you? I am a big fan of the Super Program.
09-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #10

Thank you for sharing your experience with Nikon and Pentax! The Super Program could be an interesting option.

I guess I am most of all exploring different options for 35mm film cameras with auto exposure (aperture priority).
Note that the Super Program requires a lens with an aperture ring for aperture priority shooting. It can use modern lenses without that ring only in shutter priority and program modes. Also, unlike Pentax DSLRs, the Super Program will meter correctly with pre A series lenses (i.e no “A” on the aperture ring).
09-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K2 too big? It’s smaller (certainly in shoulder height) than the KX and KM and I think has more of a M-series feel to it. While the KX and KM evolved directly from the Spotty F, the K2 seemed to be a trial design that wasn’t repeated, being a halfway house in size between the other Ks and the Ms. Yes, the ISO dial around the lens throat is quirky, but it’s a fine looking camera, very uncluttered. If I had to sell my film camera collection, I’d bust a gut to keep the AP, Spotty, K2 and MX.
09-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

-Bjørn
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Nikon FE is great; I often think it's the camera the Pentax K2 should have been.
They are cheap and plentiful used, so one can be choosy about condition.

I used Nikon primarily for 20 years, and have owned many model bodies.
IMO original FM/FE are a bit better made than FM2/FE2 that followed.

Chris
I had and used both a Pentax K2 and Nikon FE. Other than the ASA ring on the K2 and the aperture window on the FE, the two cameras are remarkably similar. The K2 is heavier, but the two cameras are almost identical in size.
09-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Can you describe what you mean about the FE/FE2?
09-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my very small exposure to the K2, its weird control layout and lack of aperture in the viewfinder make me like the ergonomics of the FE better. Honestly, if the K2 had just been a KX with an A on the shutter dial, it would be easy...
The FE2 is a big step up in capability, but the LX is still to me a nicer machine, its finders and ergonomics beating the FE2’s shutter speed advantage.
There really isn’t anything in the M series with aperture priority auto and a conventional control layout. Pentax didn’t get back to that until the P3/P30, which isn’t really in the same league...
Even the Super Program uses the little buttons, which take getting used to.
In terms of cold weather, I thought the Super Program also had a remote battery holder (so the batteries can live in your jacket pocket while you shoot), but that may have just been a LX thing...
But take my Nikon comments with a grain of salt. My favorites are the FG and FA 🙂

-Eric
09-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a long-standing desire for an FE2. There, I said it.

Steve

(...desire has been thwarted by a lack of bodies at a magic price point...)