Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
BigMacCam, I'll talk with my friend, but it seems worth trying in this case. Cleaning and repairing lenses (for myself) is something that I've thought about before anyway. My dad wasn't really a TV repairman, but I am/was actually an amateur watchmaker once upon a time and in comparison, lenses are much bigger with much fewer parts.
I did a little amateur watch servicing in the past, and I find lens work much easier - at least in terms of handling parts, disassembly and re-assembly (I never had the steadiest of hands, so watch repair was frustrating for me ).

Before you make your decision to press ahead, I should advise that you really need some basic tools to do the job properly. See this post for a list of my own tools, correct at the time of writing. Of course, you can get by with less, or substitute what you have to hand for some tasks... but it's worth having the right tools for the job. If you think you might use the tools on several lenses, go for it. If you have no interest beyond the one or two lenses you've mentioned here, then it's probably not cost-effective. But since you've already considered it before, I think it might be worth the relatively-small investment

09-10-2018, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Tamron's mirror lenses are apparently some of the better models out there, and reputedly capable of good results compared to most.
That is my understanding as well. The "SP" designation was not slapped on for looks alone.

Steve
09-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I also own that Tokina 28-70 and find it to be pretty nice. Great close focusing abilities when put into "macro mode". A great all-around for a film camera, I probably wouldn't use it much on digital.

Might be a fun challenge to DIY clean up but a zoom lens like that could be quite difficult.
09-10-2018, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tamron's mirror lenses are apparently some of the better models out there, and reputedly capable of good results compared to most. I'm stating the obvious, but accurate focusing is key to getting good results. Live view is essential - OVF focusing just won't cut it. Careful consideration of subject background is also advisable, due to the donut-shaped out-of-focus highlights. But with these observations noted, it's possible to get some very nice images with the better quality mirror lenses.

If I remember correctly, @csa (Carol) has this lens and gets some nice shots with it...
Indeed I do, and I've had great luck hand holding it for wildlife! The only drawback as mentioned above, is the donut-shaped out-of-focus highlights. But if you're careful with backgrounds, you can get some really great shots.

09-10-2018, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did a little amateur watch servicing in the past, and I find lens work much easier - at least in terms of handling parts, disassembly and re-assembly (I never had the steadiest of hands, so watch repair was frustrating for me ).

Before you make your decision to press ahead, I should advise that you really need some basic tools to do the job properly. See this post for a list of my own tools, correct at the time of writing. Of course, you can get by with less, or substitute what you have to hand for some tasks... but it's worth having the right tools for the job. If you think you might use the tools on several lenses, go for it. If you have no interest beyond the one or two lenses you've mentioned here, then it's probably not cost-effective. But since you've already considered it before, I think it might be worth the relatively-small investment
That's because Watch Making is frustrating, it's also very zen after a point. Lenses HAVE TO be easier. Parts are fewer and larger and less delicate.

I wouldn't do it without the right tools. I don't have JIS screwdrivers, so that would be first things. If I could do it, it would open up a whole new world of bargain hunting and experimentation for me, so I'm thinking it might be worthwhile, though I should probably have started on a prime. I just sold a hazy SMC 24/2.8 for pocket change.

---------- Post added 09-10-18 at 04:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Indeed I do, and I've had great luck hand holding it for wildlife! The only drawback as mentioned above, is the donut-shaped out-of-focus highlights. But if you're careful with backgrounds, you can get some really great shots.
Thanks, Carol. 500mm is kind of blowing my mind right now! I'll look forward to playing with it for birds and squirrels and things.

I'm even thinking of how and when to deliberately invoke that bokah for something arty.
09-10-2018, 11:33 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Brooke Meyer

A very long time ago, I took a well worn Chevy Impala to sell for a new widow. Emotionally she couldn't do it. I told her what I thought it would sell for. Took it to a guy I knew and trusted who bought, fixed and sold used cars. He found some fairly expensive parts needing replacing which cut my guesstimate in half. I gave him the difference in cash and he made a check out to her for the amount I told her she'd get. I've never regretted it.
09-11-2018, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is one of my favorites taken with the Tamron 500 mirror. (handheld)

09-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Here is one of my favorites taken with the Tamron 500 mirror. (handheld)
That would make a beautiful Christmas card, Carol
09-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mike! This is one of my all time favorites, especially the bunny's expression! It was a very cold day, so he was pretty "puffed up" to stay warm.
09-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I remember when you posted that photo. That was the mirror lens, huh? Good to know.
09-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish someone would make a descent autofocus mirror lens. The dof is thin and it would be light and small. It would really be a fun toy.