Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 04:45 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Maybe, maybe not. The only way to know with your lens and your camera is to shoot wide open with fairly close subjects and also at infinity and then with a loupe, inspect for sharpness. As it is a medium wide angle lens, I suspect it will be forgiving or at worst, may require you to stop down a bit to increase your depth of field.

My main concern for you: Does the lens have an aperture ring? If not, with the LX, I don't know how you will change the f/stops.
Thanks. As I said earlier: I have the 31mm ltd and the 50mm macro DFA with aperture rings, and a few M series lenses in addition, 28mm, 50mm and 135mm.

09-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I a, looking for a specific range of cameras I go to KEH.
Used Photography Cameras & Equipment - Buy and Sell Online at KEH Camera Store
Good prices and most items have a warranty

Phil.
09-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #18
Forum Member

I've bought a lot of film cameras off eBay. Had some real bargains, too.

But I'd avoid the MZ/ZX series. Unless the seller can prove they have had the vulnerable gear replaced, if they haven't gone wrong now they soon will. Two of the ones I bought worked at first but failed halfway through the first roll of film.

I do have an MZ-30 that works well, and I quite like it as a pocket camera, but its just possible it has had the gear replaced or is a very late production one with the metal gear fitted. I now have a drawer full of a dozen broken ones to set against that though.
09-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
I've bought a lot of film cameras off eBay. Had some real bargains, too.

But I'd avoid the MZ/ZX series. Unless the seller can prove they have had the vulnerable gear replaced, if they haven't gone wrong now they soon will. Two of the ones I bought worked at first but failed halfway through the first roll of film.
Which series or models would you recommend?

09-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Which series or models would you recommend?
Personally, I'd recommend the K, M, and SF series cameras. The MZ-S as well, considering it doesn't seem to have the same issues as the rest of the MZ/ZX series.
09-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd recommend looking for a Pentax KX, KM or K1000 in good condition with working exposure meter.
Get it serviced by a good "old school" camera repair shop. After that it should last for many trouble-free years.

Chris
09-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have always assumed that these older cameras were so reliable that if they didn't look war torn that they must be in fully functional condition. And even if they were war torn, they could probably be restored. This has worked well for me as I have only been wrong a handful of times . . .

Is there a craigslist or local equivalent there? How about camera swap meets? Here in the US, I have found KEH.com to be a reliable place to buy these older marvels at great prices with a no questions asked warranty. I don't know how they handle overseas shipping.

09-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I have always assumed that these older cameras were so reliable that if they didn't look war torn that they must be in fully functional condition. And even if they were war torn, they could probably be restored. This has worked well for me as I have only been wrong a handful of times . . .
My experience is that the war-torn ones are often fine. It's the clean looking bodies that have been sitting in a draw for 15 years that I've had issues with. Mechanical stuff doesn't like not being used...
09-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
My experience is that the war-torn ones are often fine. It's the clean looking bodies that have been sitting in a draw for 15 years that I've had issues with. Mechanical stuff doesn't like not being used...
Yes but gummed up mechanicals is far easier to fix then broken parts that can no longer be sourced.

I have been very fortunate picking up a few as "for parts only not working" that turned out to be working perfectly going on several years now.
09-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I hope so.

I just picked up a Nikon FM2n that belonged to my Wife's Grandfather. Unfortunately it's been sitting in a closet in Kuala Lumpur (ie. humid) for 10yrs+ and is very, very gummed up, although it looks like nothing is actually broken so hopefully its salvageable...
10-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #26

Just to add another anecdote - maybe I’m unusually unlucky but it took 3 MX eBay purchases to get one that didn’t have issues (and these were highly rated sellers). Good return policies help matters, however.
10-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is a company that can repair the MZ/ZX series of cameras in Japan. There is a thread going on about it. Company is called NSB Tekunos.

I had my MZ-S gear for the mirror motor replaced by them recently.
10-10-2018, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
Anyhow, if anyone is interested I bought a superA at a local second hand camera store for 70 euros. Of the 3 Pentax bodies he had this was the only one that seems to be fully working, and it comes with a 6 month warranty so I should be all good.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The Super-A is my favourite electronic camera - I've had several and still have three (two work). It's an excellent choice for a lens with an 'A' setting on the aperture ring.