Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I had a camera Eric serviced that had to go back for redo for a shutter problem.
That was just one out of probably 25+ bodies I have sent him for maintenance.

That's pretty good, especially when you consider the age and complexity of these things.
I think the percentages are well in favor of still choosing Eric Hendrickson for Pentax service.

Chris
I sent the Sightseeing Screwmount (Green R SV) for a CLA but he said he couldn’t find anyrhing wrong with it (users had reported black exposures and 100% overexposures - personally I think the Film wasn’t fully advanced). Adjusted the speeds and sent it back N/C. I’m testing it extensively now.

I finally sent the K1000’s I said I would send as evaluation bodies. K1000 early MIJ; K1000 SE BN transition body (probably HK); later K1000 SE BN HK.

Assuming no issues I plan to send my AP and two Asahiflexes and a pristine ESll. That will put me somewhere around 30 bodies I have either sent or bought with a proven Eric CLA since 1999.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-26-2019 at 08:08 PM.
02-26-2019, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I sent the Sightseeing Screwmount (Green R SV) for a CLA but he said he couldn’t find anyrhing wrong with it (users had reported black exposures and 100% overexposures - personally I think the Film wasn’t fully advanced). Adjusted the speeds and sent it back N/C. I’m testing it extensively now.

I finally sent the K1000’s I said I would send as evaluation bodies. K1000 early MIJ; K1000 SE BN transition body (probably HK); later K1000 SE BN HK.

Assuming no issues I plan to send my AP and two Asahiflexes and a pristine ESll. That will put me somewhere around 30 bodies I have either sent or bought with a proven Eric CLA since 1999.
I promise you that after 35 years of shooting film in Pentax cameras, including an AP, K, SV, S1a, Spotmatic, K1000, ME, ME Super, Super Program, K1000, Km, KX, and LX, that I am not short stroking the advance lever. No camera in good working condition had ever given me the trouble that I experienced with the "sightseeing screwmount." The fact that more than one experienced photographer has experienced trouble with the camera should be enough evidence that a problem exists. After I posted this thread, other Pentaxians came forward in PMs, telling me that they had experienced similar troubles with cameras "repaired" or "serviced" by Eric. They expressed concern with making their complaints public because they still had cameras in the shop with him and didn't want to jeopardize those repairs by making public complaints. My guess is that either Eric made some adjustment to this SV ("adjusted the speeds" means he fixed something) and said that he found nothing wrong, or that I will experience further malfunctions when I get it back. The camera was not functioning correctly when I had it. I guarantee it.
02-27-2019, 05:29 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I promise you that after 35 years of shooting film in Pentax cameras, including an AP, K, SV, S1a, Spotmatic, K1000, ME, ME Super, Super Program, K1000, Km, KX, and LX, that I am not short stroking the advance lever. No camera in good working condition had ever given me the trouble that I experienced with the "sightseeing screwmount." The fact that more than one experienced photographer has experienced trouble with the camera should be enough evidence that a problem exists. After I posted this thread, other Pentaxians came forward in PMs, telling me that they had experienced similar troubles with cameras "repaired" or "serviced" by Eric. They expressed concern with making their complaints public because they still had cameras in the shop with him and didn't want to jeopardize those repairs by making public complaints. My guess is that either Eric made some adjustment to this SV ("adjusted the speeds" means he fixed something) and said that he found nothing wrong, or that I will experience further malfunctions when I get it back. The camera was not functioning correctly when I had it. I guarantee it.
As I said I’m testing it. We’ll see what happens.
03-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #49

Hi all,

I am new to the forums and just wanted to get some second opinions on a recent experience I had with Eric.

My ME Super was having mirror lock up issues so I sent it to Eric a few weeks ago. Got it back last week and the mirror got stuck again literally on the third shot (thankfully no film). After banging it on the table a couple times it came down again.

I asked Eric about this and his response was simply that "Things happen." Now I understand that Eric is a bit curt but is this legitimate behavior for a freshly CLA'd camera?

I also noticed that there appears to be a part missing now... see attached photo.. you'll see a hole inside the lens mount above the light seals. Can anyone confirm that is purely cosmetic?

Thanks in advance!

03-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by after_dark Quote
Hi all,
. . .
I also noticed that there appears to be a part missing now... see attached photo.. you'll see a hole inside the lens mount above the light seals. Can anyone confirm that is purely cosmetic?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome, after_dark

I haven't had any repairs done by Eric and I never advanced into the nuts and bolts realm of cameras, but here's a photo of my own (inactive) ME Super :

03-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #51

No, to me, that remark was not acceptable.
03-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Biting my tongue.

To me, the minimum option for good customer service would be to get the camera back and determine if the failure was in something that I did if it were me. If it was a part failing or another component outside the scope of what was adjusted I would then have expected the explanation of that and an estimate for repair. CLA is not a warranty against future failure but it is expected to reveal soon to fail conditions and remedy them if possible. If the failure was with something adjusted and inspected I would expect some reduction of rate to fix and some apology for missing it. But that's just my expectation - I have no experience with a camera failing that rapidly after service.

03-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried to warn you. That was the whole point of this thread. Eric may not be the best option for Pentax service any longer.
03-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is there anything that rattles around inside it, if that piece is missing from the top part of the shutter box area?
03-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Is there anything that rattles around inside it, if that piece is missing from the top part of the shutter box area?
No rattling, though looking at the two photos again I think there's actually an entire piece missing (i.e. it's not just that there's something that's supposed to go in the hole... it's missing another piece that is affixed to the front through the hole). At least the light seals seem new.

The mirror is also smudged... I was trying to avoid this but I'm going to have to take this up with Eric. Thanks everyone for the help.
03-06-2019, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Hi all,

I am new to the forums and just wanted to get some second opinions on a recent experience I had with Eric.

My ME Super was having mirror lock up issues so I sent it to Eric a few weeks ago. Got it back last week and the mirror got stuck again literally on the third shot (thankfully no film). After banging it on the table a couple times it came down again.

I asked Eric about this and his response was simply that "Things happen." Now I understand that Eric is a bit curt but is this legitimate behavior for a freshly CLA'd camera?

Thanks in advance!

What's missing is a adhesive "dot" that covers a small hole so you can blow the dust off the top of the focus screen. Usually once removed they can't be reused, so I've used a hole punch with some black adhesive label material to make a replacement. What concerns me is that it looks like the hole has been enlarged and not done very well at that, looks more like a hack job. Can provide a photo of what the hole should look like later if you want. Hope this helps.

Last edited by longbow; 03-06-2019 at 08:44 PM.
03-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if Eric has an apprentice? This is not at all his historic product quality.
03-07-2019, 03:19 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wonder if Eric has an apprentice? This is not at all his historic product quality.
I believe he does, yes.
03-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess I'll find out for myself. Just boxed up my MX which has pinhole light leaks and requested a CLA also. Mail it in the morning.
03-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought maybe it was just me.....

However, out of the 3 camera's I sent to him he did manage to repair one of them.

.....but then again, I don't know enough about it to even know the difference, so I can't fully speak to the quality of work that was done.

Last edited by brightseal; 03-27-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Closed Thread