Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 05:48 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
Automatic mode and 25$ price tags aren't a necessity, but I would much rather invest in proper optics than the body, hence "the cheaper the better". If I find MX for 50$, I'll go for it. XR7 is somewhat cheap too, I've seen one for 20$-ish. I have also seen a few ME Supers for 30-35$ and oddly enough Super Program which is newer and has more features were going for 25$. Don't know about the rest.
The XR7 is a good alternative to the ME Super with having traditional controls. Unlike the ME Super, it is fully battery dependent with no mechanical speed available when they die. I managed to get mine in the price range you are looking for although I didn't encounter it often.

You'll notice in the ad it states, aluminum diecast body and not plastic. It is well built and feels good in quality.

Another member here - Steve, has a collection of Ricohs -> 3rd Party K-mount Cameras

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 07:58 PM ----------

I haven't had XG-M, but I had X-700 for a while. I wish it had a build quality of Mino SRT.
I have an X-700 given to me by a friend and it is clearly the most advanced manual focus camera I have with remote and intervalometer back. If you prefer a better feeling/built body then the XD-11 or XE-7 might be a consideration.

I find the XE-7 to have the smoothest film advance of any camera I have tried. It really does have to be tried.

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 08:03 PM ----------

They are fairly easy to find out here too, it's just me who is forgetful. OM bodies drain batteries like a glass of juice and I had to deal with all-mechanical speed more than once. Pentax is far better in that.
It is too bad that your OM bodies have that issue. Otherwise, I would be hard pressed to trade mine for any other system especially because of the spot metering mode which I prefer to use.

Not that I would trade any of mine even if none of them are perfect . . .

09-17-2018, 11:13 PM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The only camera not yet mentioned that might be an option is the original P30 - the only issue perhaps is it's reliant on DX coding. The body is mostly metal (only the top-plate & finger grip seem to be plastic), it has a shutter speed dial, meter lock (a rarity in Pentax MF bodies), takes a mechanical cable release and shouldn't be hard to find for a reasonable price. The later P30n/T are probably more plasticky.
RIght, I forgot about it and frankly I thought it was plastic judging from the pictures. Looks can be deceiving.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The XR7 is a good alternative to the ME Super with having traditional controls. Unlike the ME Super, it is fully battery dependent with no mechanical speed available when they die. I managed to get mine in the price range you are looking for although I didn't encounter it often.

You'll notice in the ad it states, aluminum diecast body and not plastic. It is well built and feels good in quality.

Another member here - Steve, has a collection of Ricohs -> 3rd Party K-mount Cameras

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 07:58 PM ----------

I have an X-700 given to me by a friend and it is clearly the most advanced manual focus camera I have with remote and intervalometer back. If you prefer a better feeling/built body then the XD-11 or XE-7 might be a consideration.

I find the XE-7 to have the smoothest film advance of any camera I have tried. It really does have to be tried.

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 08:03 PM ----------

It is too bad that your OM bodies have that issue. Otherwise, I would be hard pressed to trade mine for any other system especially because of the spot metering mode which I prefer to use.

Not that I would trade any of mine even if none of them are perfect . . .
All are valid points, I should look at old washed-out ads more often than I do now. The one and only Ricoh I ever held belongs to my friend and it's KR5 Super II, a rather loud and clunky mechanical camera. But if I recall correctly ME Super was also noisy.

I can't really tell what I did not like about X-700. Function-wise it is good, although "P" mode is not something I would use and therefore X-570 would suffice. 4 seconds maximum automatic shutter speed is a tad small, I used cable release and bulb mode quite often. "A" mode lock was something I never got used to, even though I understand the reason behind it.

None of my current OM bodies have the issue, but I had several OM-1, OM-2, one OM-2s in the past and more than enough quantity of them suffered from the issue. I had to change idler gears to get rid of the problem. And I fully agree about spot metering mode, that is the only feature which will truly be missed by me. However, I will still have Nikon F80 so if uncertain or in the need of Spot meter, I can use it.

I think I will settle for ME Super again, or for MX if I find either of those at a price seemingly reasonable for me. But from what I've researched so far, obtaining lenses for cheap is much more difficult than finding a body.

Last edited by Mikheil88; 09-18-2018 at 12:04 AM.
09-18-2018, 03:40 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would get the the MX. It is all mechanical, robust, compact and has nice things like interchangeable focusing screens, data back and motor drive/winder compatibility.
09-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I would get the the MX. It is all mechanical, robust, compact and has nice things like interchangeable focusing screens, data back and motor drive/winder compatibility.
I think I'm slowly reachig the same conclusion. I'm not a guy of data backs and motordrives, but small size and mechanical operation are very welcome.

09-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Make sure that you add the cost of a CLA to your budget. That is, if you don't get an invoice from the seller showing that it was done recently anyway.
09-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I think I'm slowly reachig the same conclusion. I'm not a guy of data backs and motordrives, but small size and mechanical operation are very welcome.
Pentax MX is the smallest full info viewfinder fully mechanical SLR that happens to also the have largest viewfinder.

09-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Make sure that you add the cost of a CLA to your budget. That is, if you don't get an invoice from the seller showing that it was done recently anyway.
I usually do CLA myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Pentax MX is the smallest full info viewfinder fully mechanical SLR that happens to also the have largest viewfinder.
Indeed, Judas' window makes the difference. X-700 has it too. Pretty convenient when lenses have internediate clicks between the stops.

09-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
I won "M" version of 28 mm f/3.5 lens two days ago for 18$, I think the price wasn't high. It'll work well on my K-x as a 42 mm lens and in the meantime I will look out for either MX or ME Super (again).
10-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another question: I've learned that Pentax MX, ME, ME Super and other M series bodies suffer from wind lever / mirror issues, which are manifested either in not cocking the shutter, or some not so funny business with the mirror. So do you know if Pentax Program A (aka Program Plus) and Pentax Super A (aka Super Program) suffer from the same issue, or are they trouble-free?

P.S. SMC Pentax-M 28 mm f/3.5 is razor sharp and produces outstanding images on APS-C sensor. I'm sure it will shine on full frame film body as well.
10-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Any problems with M series wind-on levers is almost certainly overblown and much less prevalent that electronic issues with the Super-A. The Super-A is a great camera but I've had all sorts of intermittent problems from the mode dial and/or delivery of power from the battery. Often the bulb to illuminate the LCD works but there's no other power in the camera (the top-plate LCD doesn't show the wound-on indicator). Sometimes brand new, fresh batteries fix it, sometimes it doesn't. The ME Super electronics and meter in the MX are much simpler and more likely to be reliable in 40+ year old cameras.
10-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Any problems with M series wind-on levers is almost certainly overblown and much less prevalent that electronic issues with the Super-A. The Super-A is a great camera but I've had all sorts of intermittent problems from the mode dial and/or delivery of power from the battery. Often the bulb to illuminate the LCD works but there's no other power in the camera (the top-plate LCD doesn't show the wound-on indicator). Sometimes brand new, fresh batteries fix it, sometimes it doesn't. The ME Super electronics and meter in the MX are much simpler and more likely to be reliable in 40+ year old cameras.
I had ME Super around a year ago and it wouldn't cock the shutter after film advance, roughly once in every 20 frames. Regular ME which I had before didn't have that issue at all but results vary from sample to sample. I guess when you're 40+ years old and don't visit a doctor, some malfunctions are inevitable.

Thank you for the useful information, I'll keep an eye out for something suitable. I'm a little nervous because I've only serviced Olympus cameras and most of their issues were mechanical, not electronic, I have no experience with Pentax yet.
10-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I've had /have well over a dozen M series bodies and have yet to come across that problem.
10-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Super A ist the camera I would have recommended instead of the ME Super.

It is the better camera (I have them both) but it has it's own issue.
The A series introduced the electronic contacts in the bayonett. The issue a Super A might have is the malfunction of these contacts (mine has). The result will be unreliable metering when the aperture ring of the lens is set to A. I think it will work if you set the aperture to any other value, but I'am not sure about this. My Super A worked very well when it was my main camera and I found out about the issue just last year, when I tried if it still works.

Of course manual setting still works, but where is the point in a Super A, that only works in manual mode?

Other kown issues are: LCD lighting will not work and yes, there are problems firing the camera as well.

If you get one in working condition I would recommend it over the ME super, as it has the same features plus DOF preview, programm mode, aperture priority, TTL flash.
10-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After dabbling in Ricoh/Sears K-mount cameras my first Pentax was a KX.
I tried practically all the Pentax manual focus models as well as a few AF.

The K series Pentax bodies are my favorites. KX, KM, and K2DMD are my keepers.

Chris
10-15-2018, 05:03 AM   #45
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
The Super A ist the camera I would have recommended instead of the ME Super.

It is the better camera (I have them both) but it has it's own issue.
The A series introduced the electronic contacts in the bayonett. The issue a Super A might have is the malfunction of these contacts (mine has). The result will be unreliable metering when the aperture ring of the lens is set to A. I think it will work if you set the aperture to any other value, but I'am not sure about this. My Super A worked very well when it was my main camera and I found out about the issue just last year, when I tried if it still works.

Of course manual setting still works, but where is the point in a Super A, that noly works on manual mode?

Other issues are: LCD lighting will not work and yes, there are problems firing the camera as well.

If you get one in working condition I would recommend it over the ME super, as it has the same features plus DOF preview, programm mode, aperture priority, TTL flash.
I think I'll just skip everything and go to Ricoh XR-7 at this point. I have only one lens with Pentax "A" contact and I control aperture manually even on that.

---------- Post added 15-10-18 at 04:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
After dabbling in Ricoh/Sears K-mount cameras my first Pentax was a KX.
I tried practically all the Pentax manual focus models as well as a few AF.

The K series Pentax bodies are my favorites. KX, KM, and K2DMD are my keepers.

Chris
Yeah, those would be my keepers as well if they were cheaper, or lighter. Or both.