Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
Forum Member
Mikheil88's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tbilisi
Posts: 97
Little help picking K-mount SLR?

Good day

I've been shooting film as an amateur for some time already. I have Olympus OM system cameras (1 and 4) with 28 mm, 50 mm and 135 mm lens outfits. But I also have Pentax K-x digital camera which is quite old, but still often used by me.

Recently I have come to the situation, where I have to sell my OM-1 and OM-4 along with everything. And later I will buy a film camera again. And since I already have a K-mount machine (and because mounting OM lenses on K-mount is tricky at best) I'd like to change my mount and buy a film camera on K-mount.

I had ME and ME Super at some point in my life. ME was basic, while ME Super was good and overall satisfactory, but I never got used to button operated manual mode, I'm more of "knobs and dials" kind of a person. I looked for a while for an adequate camera body. There were several options, Kx and MX. Kx is a bit beefy, being an older generation camera and I regretfully dismissed it, because low mass is important to me. But MX on the other hand seems overpriced to me. I know it's mechanical and all, but I can't pay 60+$ for something, Olympus equivalent of which I have bought for only 25$.

Then I turned my head to Ricoh, but most of their cameras look plasticky and cheap compared to either Pentax or Olympus. And then there's "Ricoh pin" issue - I can't use Ricoh automatic lenses with my Pentax digital in Aperture priority mode. Of course I can still use stop-down metering in those cases.

So, what I want to know from competent people is this:

1. Is there anything I can look for in Pentax except Kx and MX, with good features? Please don't offer LX, I'm not that rich. And no Super Program either - I don't want plastic look.
2. Does Ricoh have anything compact like MX and made of metal, which can be affordable for me? XR7 would be perfect if it weren't plastic.

I know I'm too whimsical, but any help would be appreciated.

M.

09-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
Junior Member
tonyzoc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 34
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
Good day

I've been shooting film as an amateur for some time already. I have Olympus OM system cameras (1 and 4) with 28 mm, 50 mm and 135 mm lens outfits. But I also have Pentax K-x digital camera which is quite old, but still often used by me.

Recently I have come to the situation, where I have to sell my OM-1 and OM-4 along with everything. And later I will buy a film camera again. And since I already have a K-mount machine (and because mounting OM lenses on K-mount is tricky at best) I'd like to change my mount and buy a film camera on K-mount.

I had ME and ME Super at some point in my life. ME was basic, while ME Super was good and overall satisfactory, but I never got used to button operated manual mode, I'm more of "knobs and dials" kind of a person. I looked for a while for an adequate camera body. There were several options, Kx and MX. Kx is a bit beefy, being an older generation camera and I regretfully dismissed it, because low mass is important to me. But MX on the other hand seems overpriced to me. I know it's mechanical and all, but I can't pay 60+$ for something, Olympus equivalent of which I have bought for only 25$.

Then I turned my head to Ricoh, but most of their cameras look plasticky and cheap compared to either Pentax or Olympus. And then there's "Ricoh pin" issue - I can't use Ricoh automatic lenses with my Pentax digital in Aperture priority mode. Of course I can still use stop-down metering in those cases.

So, what I want to know from competent people is this:

1. Is there anything I can look for in Pentax except Kx and MX, with good features? Please don't offer LX, I'm not that rich. And no Super Program either - I don't want plastic look.
2. Does Ricoh have anything compact like MX and made of metal, which can be affordable for me? XR7 would be perfect if it weren't plastic.

I know I'm too whimsical, but any help would be appreciated.

M.
Look at the K1000 or better the KM. These days I see good ones near $100 on eBay but sometimes you can grab one cheaper if you're patient. Another one I like is the K2. It has aperture automatic and full manual with mirror lockup. I often see them cheaper than $100.

09-17-2018, 05:34 AM   #3
Forum Member
Mikheil88's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tbilisi
Posts: 97
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Look at the K1000 or better the KM. These days I see good ones near $100 on eBay but sometimes you can grab one cheaper if you're patient. Another one I like is the K2. It has aperture automatic and full manual with mirror lockup. I often see them cheaper than $100.
K1000 is off the list. It's a basic and large camera that costs more than MX just because it's good for students and is overhyped on the internet. I mean who would want to buy a skeleton camera which was designed to be cheap and durable. It would be a downgrade. K2 seems nice though.

I sometimes see MX for 50-60$ on Robertscamera, but it usually gets sold so quickly...
09-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,537
Perhaps this chart might help out in your search

it shows how various Pentax Camera bodies ( including film ) works with various Pentax lens

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

09-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gwynedd, Wales
Posts: 53
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
K1000 is off the list. It's a basic and large camera that costs more than MX just because it's good for students and is overhyped on the internet. I mean who would want to buy a skeleton camera which was designed to be cheap and durable. It would be a downgrade. K2 seems nice though.

I sometimes see MX for 50-60$ on Robertscamera, but it usually gets sold so quickly...
Have you looked at Chinon? You don't want plastic though. However CE-4 and CE-5 can be picked up very cheap, they are knobs and dials, and I've had one since 1981 which still works fine. They have an aperture window too, which I like, and DOF preview.
09-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #6
Forum Member
Mikheil88's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tbilisi
Posts: 97
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Perhaps this chart might help out in your search

it shows how various Pentax Camera bodies ( including film ) works with various Pentax lens

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.
I'm fully aware of all of that. My K-x digital has 18-55 kit, 70-300 off-brand and Sigma 50 mm f/2.8 macro lenses. I used to have and worked with manual lenses of M and A series. Won't go to autofocus optics.
09-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
Junior Member
tonyzoc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 34
Roberts is a good source. I've gotten a few things from them and all have been great...including my K2S. I generally agree about the K1000...i owned one once for a short while and got rid of it once I got the MX. The KM is similar to the K1000 but has a self timer. The K2 is similar to the ESII screw mount..except manual speeds from 8 secs to 1/1000. Automatic speeds go down to at least 30 secs. Exposure compensation is +-2 stops on a ring at the lens mount. It also has mirror lockup. I got one a while back and it's work well for me over the years. I'm shooting a roll of tri-x in it right now.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
K1000 is off the list. It's a basic and large camera that costs more than MX just because it's good for students and is overhyped on the internet. I mean who would want to buy a skeleton camera which was designed to be cheap and durable. It would be a downgrade. K2 seems nice though.

I sometimes see MX for 50-60$ on Robertscamera, but it usually gets sold so quickly...
09-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #8
Forum Member
Mikheil88's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tbilisi
Posts: 97
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
Have you looked at Chinon? You don't want plastic though. However CE-4 and CE-5 can be picked up very cheap, they are knobs and dials, and I've had one since 1981 which still works fine. They have an aperture window too, which I like, and DOF preview.
I didn't know a K-mount Chinon was a thing. I'll do some research as soon as I'm home. Thank you.

09-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,307
Sounds like you should keep an eye out for an MX, KM or K2 that falls in your price range. The only reason I own a K1000 is because I was able to pick one up for $25, I just wanted to see what all the hype was about. Honestly, with the high number of them that Pentax made, I still find it hard to believe they sell for upwards of $100.

The MX is a very good camera. I see them from time to time in the $40 to $50 range in good working condition. The KM and K2 tend to be slightly higher.

Good luck.

(I’m another that has trouble with the buttons on the Super)
09-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #10
Forum Member
Mikheil88's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tbilisi
Posts: 97
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Roberts is a good source. I've gotten a few things from them and all have been great...including my K2S. I generally agree about the K1000...i owned one once for a short while and got rid of it once I got the MX. The KM is similar to the K1000 but has a self timer. The K2 is similar to the ESII screw mount..except manual speeds from 8 secs to 1/1000. Automatic speeds go down to at least 30 secs. Exposure compensation is +-2 stops on a ring at the lens mount. It also has mirror lockup. I got one a while back and it's work well for me over the years. I'm shooting a roll of tri-x in it right now.
So basically K2 is the closest thing to what I want along with Super-A (Super Program), if the latter weren't plastic. And a capable shutter is a welcomed addition, I like taking photos at night, but tend to forget cable release.

Another problem with me is that I want to get a bunch of manual lenses. 28 mm and 135 mm would be good. I could cut the budget and get 75-150 f/4 instead of 135 mm f/3.5, my buddy uses it on his Ricoh and it's a reasonably good lens. But 28 mm is somewhat pricy, even M version. And I can see why - it's nearly perfect normal lens for APS-C crop factor.

---------- Post added 17-09-18 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Sounds like you should keep an eye out for an MX, KM or K2 that falls in your price range. The only reason I own a K1000 is because I was able to pick one up for $25, I just wanted to see what all the hype was about. Honestly, with the high number of them that Pentax made, I still find it hard to believe they sell for upwards of $100.

The MX is a very good camera. I see them from time to time in the $40 to $50 range in good working condition. The KM and K2 tend to be slightly higher.

Good luck.

(I’m another that has trouble with the buttons on the Super)
Thank you, it's always good to see someone who reassures me about not going for K1000
09-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,537
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
I'm fully aware of all of that. My K-x digital has 18-55 kit, 70-300 off-brand and Sigma 50 mm f/2.8 macro lenses. I used to have and worked with manual lenses of M and A series. Won't go to autofocus optics.
never can tell

good luck
09-17-2018, 06:34 AM   #12
Forum Member
Mikheil88's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tbilisi
Posts: 97
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
never can tell

good luck
Unfortunately my wallet dictates it

And thank you
09-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,537
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
Unfortunately my wallet dictates it

And thank you
you are welcomed

please post some of your photos if you get a chance
09-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 669
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
So basically K2 is the closest thing to what I want along with Super-A (Super Program), if the latter weren't plastic.
The SuperProgram/SuperA isn’t really plastic—it has the same/similar build to the ME Super. Unfortunately like the ME Super it fails your other requirement in that it uses buttons to set shutter speed.
09-17-2018, 06:47 AM   #15
Junior Member
tonyzoc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 34
I have a couple if Super Programs and I like them allot. For the Super Program...
Pros:
- Newer than the K2
- Supports "A" lens settings and has 3 Auto modes and TTL flash.
- With PKA mount lenses you get more functionality with DSLRs which is a plus.
- has a 3.5 fps motor

Cons:
- LCD in viewfinder has a potential short life and will fade and eventually not work
- the shutter release meter activation often gets dirty and stops working
- build quality is below K2 (imho)
- while the top and bottom are plastic, they have a metal veneer and look and feel like metal
- me super like shutter speed selector

I like both cameras though...


Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, bodies, body, camera, cameras, film, k-mount, k1000, k2, km, kx, lens, lenses, mm, mode, mx, olympus, om-1, pentax, price, quality, range, ricoh, secs, speeds, time, trade, x-700
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help picking a walk-about shoulder bag Erictator Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 22 05-12-2018 06:32 PM
Picking out FF K mount landscape lenses motorhead9999 Pentax Full Frame 42 11-09-2017 06:14 AM
Help picking up a setup! R3dux Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 11-01-2010 09:19 AM
Need help picking a wide angle TOUGEFC Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 04-14-2010 03:24 PM
I need help picking a flash perception-of-light Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 02-19-2010 03:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top