Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a film Pentax K-1?
Yes, it's my dream for years! 612.77%
Yes, but only with an optional digital back 48.51%
No, who shots film in 2018? 3778.72%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosU Quote
How could you have a histogram without a sensor?
There is the metering sensor!

09-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
NO, but I'm sure some have to be getting unhappy about their slowly failing film equipment.
The simpler the film equipment the more robust it seems to be provided it isn't ultra old like a pocket Kodak. I'm still shooting a Spotmatic F regularly and it wasn't one of the last ones. That camera and I have been through a lot and have been a lot of places, only missing the continents of Australia and Antarctica. I got mocked in Israel for having that "antique" as my co workers call it. I like that camera so much I spent $70 for a basically unused one with a SMC 55mm f/1.8 body cap so I have a spare.
09-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #18

My answer would be no, I love my K3 and F1. I still have and use my four M42 film bodies with my SMC Takumar Primes from 24 to 500 mm. I also have a great Nikon F-5 and am building my lens inventory. My camera for Medium Format is a Mamiya 330f that produces great high resolution images.
09-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say no. I have a perfectly good PZ-1 that gets very little use. And that was a pretty advanced camera, even when the digital revolution began.

I do shoot film from time to time but I typically use my K1000 or ME Super. For me, film is a fully manual experience.

Last edited by david94903; 09-17-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: operator error on listing camera type
09-17-2018, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting, I tought it would get more love, but I understand your opinions. I've also bought a K1000 to compliment my PZ-1p.
09-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I voted no because I already have 5 great film bodies....and I do shoot film in 2018....happily with my PZ-1p. I must admit though it would be fun to see what a ‘pull out all the stops’ film camera 📷 would look like in 2018! Flip down digital camera with preview. 12 frames/sec! Peltier improved film sensitivity! 130% viewfinder. Who knows?

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 09-17-2018 at 01:56 PM.
09-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
I voted no because I already have 5 great film bodies....and I do shoot film in 2018....happily with my PZ-1p. I must admit though it would be fun to see what a ‘pull out all the stops’ film camera 📷 would look like in 2018! Flip down digital camera with preview. 12 frames/sec! Peltier improved film sensitivity! 130% viewfinder. Who knows?
I think the closest you'll get to an ultimate high tech film camera is a Nikon F6, or maybe a Canon EOS 1V. They both are/were high end film cameras that were still made and sold during much of the digital era.

If you want to do crazy, replace the focusing screen with a sensor and the viewfinder with an EVF. Then you could get all sorts of modern digital goodies on a film camera like histogram, live view, focus peaking, contrast detect auto focus, and it would double as a digital camera taking a low res digital shot an instant before flipping the mirror to expose the film. It could save that on a card and build "contact sheets" before you even develop the film.

I wouldn't want it, and there wouldn't be very many people that would want to spend what it would cost to make, but it could be cool as a technology showcase.

09-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would buy if it costs <50$.
09-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I would buy if it costs <50$.
I think you're confusing it with a Lomography Diana K-1F...
09-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I think the closest you'll get to an ultimate high tech film camera is a Nikon F6, or maybe a Canon EOS 1V. They both are/were high end film cameras that were still made and sold during much of the digital era.

If you want to do crazy, replace the focusing screen with a sensor and the viewfinder with an EVF. Then you could get all sorts of modern digital goodies on a film camera like histogram, live view, focus peaking, contrast detect auto focus, and it would double as a digital camera taking a low res digital shot an instant before flipping the mirror to expose the film. It could save that on a card and build "contact sheets" before you even develop the film.

I wouldn't want it, and there wouldn't be very many people that would want to spend what it would cost to make, but it could be cool as a technology showcase.
I’ve shot the Nikon F6 in my “Day job” and it’s nice but not revolutionary. Like your ideas above. I agree that no one would buy it 😊. Fun to see what current designers could come up with.
09-17-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax would sell dozens, perhaps hundreds...

Chris
09-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think you're confusing it with a Lomography Diana K-1F...
Those are barely under $50 -- $49. You'd be better off going with an original Diana, it takes more interesting pictures, and is much cheaper.

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 08:58 PM ----------

I am not one of the "manual film camera only" people, but at the same time I don't think the K-1 form factor is the best option for a new film Pentax. It's super huge, for reasons that seem only related to the larger digital sensor. I would want (and expect) a significantly lighter film camera, even if it were to have the same features as the K-1 (or even the same form factor, for that matter).
09-17-2018, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the Pentax PZ-1 was close to the K-1 in many of its features (at least those film allowed) like instant switching from P mode to Av or Tv mode with the use of adjustment dials, and control of lens aperture with a dial, but digital has much to offer and one of these days, film is going to be hard to find (many of the former emulsions that gained fame through the years are long gone).

Digital has matured and nowadays, sensors have more sensitivity than film, show no reciprocity effect, and can have their effective ISO adjusted over a wide range electronically to accommodate shooting needs. Granted there are some niche advantages to film, but a new film camera just won't make the grade in terms of profitability so it is very unlikely that anything like a "K-1 film" camera will appear.

Keep in mind that I am talking about 35mm, and this doesn't mean I don't shoot film anymore or want film to go away, but in terms of seeing a new "hi tech" 35mm film camera, the cards just aren't falling into place (and most likely won't).
09-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds like a (P)Z-1 with AF upgrade that would work with the newest lenses would do the job. And 1/250 flash synch.
09-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I would buy a new film SLR from Pentax. Maybe rather the K-3 form factor as K-1 look huge. F6-like with K-Mount... Anyway, I voted yes... and I know it's never gonna happen.