Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a film Pentax K-1?
Yes, it's my dream for years! 612.77%
Yes, but only with an optional digital back 48.51%
No, who shots film in 2018? 3778.72%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-1F idea

Would you buy a K-1 with a "film back"? (Not exchangeable to digital in my thoughts!)

It would provide everything what the K-1 provides like advanced AF, the viewfider, the third function wheel, histogram... The ISO button would become a customizable button and DX codes would set the ISO. (You can adjust it manually also). I would include exif on the side of the film like on the MZ-S, and I would include the the film related functions from the PZ-1p, like rewind with leaving out the end of the film.
I would also include an internal memory to save preview images from the 86k metering sensor. (Flash TTL preview would be available because of the preflash, but manual would not be accurate.) The live view would work with the metering sensor, but it would be extremly low resolution with 86k pixels.

09-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NO, but I'm sure some have to be getting unhappy about their slowly failing film equipment.
09-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I already have a perfectly working film camera, and I simply don't use it. Maybe I should go ahead and run the rolls I have through it.

Still, that being said what you're describing would be incredibly niche market, quite expensive to produce, and so other than in someone's dreams I don't think you will see anything like it. I imagine it would cost more than the K1 does.
09-17-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

My answer isn't on your poll. My answer is "No, I only shoot film in 2018 (seriously, I haven't taken a shot with my K-3ii all year!), but the K-1 isn't the sort of camera I'd want to run film through."

09-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think we wont se a product like this, but I think it wouldn't be that expensive.
The half of the price of the K-1 is the sensor I think (with SR). This setup does not need it at all. (Okey, making it with SR for the whole film would make it very expensive.)
09-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if people want that sort of camera they would just buy a Nikon F6.

This isn't the kind of camera I would want to purchase. I think I'd rather have a brand new LX or MX with a few tweaks.
09-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think autofocus may be left out of scope. Anyway if you are shooting film nowadays you value slow, deliberate process and manual focus is just part of that. A camera like Super program (but with modern electronics) makes sense. It would be possible to use vintage lenses and most of contemporary (with no aperture ring). If it would be priced no more than used LX a lot of people will prefer the new one. Could be profitable.

09-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon FM10 with a basic kit lens seems to go for about $570 USD as I write this. I can't see Pentax selling a brand new LX, made to the same quality as the original LX, going for less than $1000.

And there's the rub; the FM10 is a Cosina CT-1 derivative. I cannot imagine spending that kind of money on a Nikon-badged CT-1. The used market would make this extremely difficult for anyone that isn't Leica to actually make money.
09-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Nikon FM10 with a basic kit lens seems to go for about $570 USD as I write this. I can't see Pentax selling a brand new LX, made to the same quality as the original LX, going for less than $1000.

And there's the rub; the FM10 is a Cosina CT-1 derivative. I cannot imagine spending that kind of money on a Nikon-badged CT-1. The used market would make this extremely difficult for anyone that isn't Leica to actually make money.
I do agree that remaking LX does not makes a sense. That should be a completely new design with modern electronic and electromechanics which should substitute old but complicated mechanics. I see that interest in film shooting raised recently (at least local photoshop lab in my neighborhood works very intense).
09-17-2018, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've voted "No", although my full answer isn't in your list... "No. I know plenty of people shoot film, but I think most are happy shooting vintage bodies and glass".
09-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm another "No" not on your list, because I do shoot some film, but wouldn't want my K-1 turned into a film camera. That's why I have things like the LX, MX, K2, SV and ME Super in arms reach as I type this.
09-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've voted "No", although my full answer isn't in your list... "No. I know plenty of people shoot film, but I think most are happy shooting vintage bodies and glass".
I don't know, I look at that Samyang 135 f2 and think how nice that might be to use with my film camera... Also the Sy 20mm f1.8 and Laowa 12mm f2.8 both look quite nice.
09-17-2018, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
It would provide everything what the K-1 provides like advanced AF, the viewfider, the third function wheel, histogram...
How could you have a histogram without a sensor?
09-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #14
Forum Member

Heck. I'm not even shooting my Nikon F80 specifically because the only thing that makes F80 different from any digital Nikon is absence of LCD display. The rest is highly automated and it takes away the feeling of being involved in process of photography. It's less immersive. So my answer is "no".
09-17-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
Heck. I'm not even shooting my Nikon F80 specifically because the only thing that makes F80 different from any digital Nikon is absence of LCD display. The rest is highly automated and it takes away the feeling of being involved in process of photography. It's less immersive. So my answer is "no".
This is basically where I'm at. I like built in TTL meters on 35mm, but I want my film cameras to have no automation of shutter, aperture, or focus. I have a Nikon F4 and a Pentax SuperProgram, but I'm not shooting them anymore because the automation becomes a crutch. I recently got a Nikon F2, and will probably get a KM to use my Pentax lenses. My favorite by far is my Bronica ETRSi and it doesn't even have a meter. I use the waist level finder and a handheld meter. All of that fancy automation that comes with the K-1 (or any DSLR) is specifically why I went to film (that and computer based post processing.)