Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 76 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I think that when people say high cost, referencing the K1000, they mean high cost as compared to other, higher spec'd cameras. I've seen run of the mill K1000s go for RIDICULOUS prices recently. Here's a basic, no frills, NON MIJ, NON SE, K1000 that sold about 40 miles from me recently ASAHI PENTAX K1000 35mm Film Camera with SMC PENTAX-M 50mm f/2 Lens/Cap/Battery | eBay

That price is INSANE considering that you could get th much more versatile MX, KX, or KM in the same condition for less than $100 shipped. In fact, I have a recently CLA'd MIJ K1000 SE that I'd take less than $150 for right now. Who pays over $300 for ANY version of the K1000? Apparently someone does.

09-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #17

I think you need to blame it on the Colleges and schools.

It became, because of it's low price, a firm recommendation for students. It was a "quality" camera at a very reasonable price. In it's day it was about the cheapest non FSU camera available. As a result it seemed to go on for much longer after the other 3 were "updated" to M versions. As a result, it sort of passed into almost myth.
09-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

At the moment on Gumtree (Australia's Craigslist) there's four working K1000's, all selling for between $250-300 with a 50mm (f1.7 or f2, no f1.4). There's two 'cheap' examples up, one with a sticking shutter for $80 and one in 'bad condition for a super cheap price' of $100...

It's hard to know what they're actually selling for (Gumtree doesn't show sold items), but these asking prices are generally amongst the highest for mechanical Pentax bodies, comparable to the MX, and generally above the KM, KX etc...

Ironically, I suspect the popularity and high prices have come about because the K1000 is consistently recommended as an affordable body to learn photography. Also, they seem to be mainly purchased by beginners who don't have much knowledge of standard prices (whether it's $50 or $300, its still a lot cheaper than a new dSLR).
09-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Blame articles like this one. I'll stick with my beloved Spotmatic F that I have had for 20 years now.
Wow, the feature a tin can (like it actually). Wonder what those cost on ebay and else...

09-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It seems totally reasonable to pay around $100 for a K1000; generally they should work pretty well, since they're not super-complicated. Even though it doesn't have a lot of features, it's a good, solid camera. If you want a $30 camera, get the ones that are $30.

I assume it is still being recommended as a starter camera, possibly as a holdover from people who were recommending it 20 years ago. It would make sense to me, as the needle exposure meter is very straightforward compared to any other exposure indicator I have seen. (It would be my most preferred manual exposure method, though the K1000 would not be my most preferred film Pentax.)
09-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

It is a bit odd that the K1000 often commands a higher auction price than other ostensibly better cameras, (K2, KX, MX, ME Super, etc).

I think it is in part due to the K1000's long standing reputation as a student camera. I have heard even recently of school programs
that still recommend the camera.

Second, I think it is in part because of the 'hip' factor. No one will confuse your 'hipness' if you're sporting a K1000, but how about
a K2DMD? What the hell is that?

And lastly and maybe most importantly, the K1000 is just about the only film based Pentax that most any service shop will touch
without issue. At least that was word I received from a local shop a couple years ago. They won't touch any other film based
Pentax for lack of parts, but the K1000 is no problem.
09-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Ming Camera Company in China bought the tooling for the K1000 and made cameras with LED light meters. Used ones are supposed to be not that unusual in China. Too bad they stopped making them before demand came back. I got my black one with brown leather and lens for $60 on ebay. They are supposed to commonly sell in China closer to the "luxury" price of $100.

09-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hipster cred
09-19-2018, 10:46 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Second, I think it is in part because of the 'hip' factor. No one will confuse your 'hipness' if you're sporting a K1000, but how about
a K2DMD? What the hell is that?
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Hipster cred

Why do I get the impression on forums like these that whenever people are talking about 'hipsters' they really just mean young people shooting film?
09-20-2018, 01:29 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Why do I get the impression on forums like these that whenever people are talking about 'hipsters' they really just mean young people shooting film?
The "Hipster" phenomena is an interesting one, and in this case does mean "young people shooting film"...The question is, which ones are really into it for the same reason a lot of serious amateur photographers are into film (and thus, are simply younger serious amateur photographers), and the ones that are into it because they are trying to project an image to their peers of "withit-ness" that is not actually true to them. I think it is easy to underestimate their level of sincerity as a group if one is a bit cynical, but at the same time you damn-well KNOW there are some posers in the mix...There always are...

And this is not just a Pentax phenomena, either...It seems that every marquee has a few models that are caught up in the same zeitgeist...The Olympus OM-1 and Canon AE-1 and A-1s going for the same money as Nikon Fs and Japanese TLRs and more than some earlier DSLRs...Meanwhile, How many $5 Minolta Maxxim 400si SLRS with a kit lens can I stand? And name-brand digital point and shoots and superzooms for $1-10! An invitation to gluttony! Yeah, send me ALL of them! :-)
09-20-2018, 03:36 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I think it is in part due to the K1000's long standing reputation as a student camera. I have heard even recently of school programs
that still recommend the camera.
Do photography courses still teach film, and actually require students to buy a film camera ??!
QuoteQuote:
Second, I think it is in part because of the 'hip' factor. No one will confuse your 'hipness' if you're sporting a K1000.
Well I'm confused, but I must be behind the curve as I cannot imagine why anyone would think the K1000 was hip, it is just an OK basic camera. However, as it is so much the fashion to take selfies, you might think that a camera with no self-timer would hardly be a hipster's first choice.
QuoteQuote:
And lastly and maybe most importantly, the K1000 is just about the only film based Pentax that most any service shop will touch
A very good point, although they might also touch a KM or a Spotmatic F if you point out to them that they are identical cameras in most respects.
09-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Only the ones wearing beards, tattoos and/or checkered shirts.
09-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it funny that the closes equivalent model, the KM, has so little demand.
09-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Do photography courses still teach film, and actually require students to buy a film camera ??!
Our local public High School teaches electives and extra-curricular activities like athletics, art and music as if they are vocational classes. Journalism students (News and Yearbook) are all required to take a semester credit of film photography, also offered as an Art elective. That includes darkroom. They still use K1000’s and M50/2’s that have been in the cabinet for decades, supplemented now by CLA’ed EX condition bodies they buy from a local camera dealer. K1000’s are simpler to maintain and used parts are easy to obtain, so they’ve never upgraded to KX’es.

They ‘graduate’ to Canon digital bodies when they are designated Staff Photographers for either publication. Both my daughters went through this program. Both were Editor-in-Chief of Yearbook. Photography Editor first seems to be the prerequisite for EiC. My older daughter has had a career in Broadcast Network News as a direct result of this program.
09-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #30
Pentaxian

The high prices that the K1000 commands is also a mystery to me. I used a K1000 and owned an MX back in the eighties and there is no comparison between them. The MX is just streets ahead but does not get the love that is out there for the K1000. An ME Super is also a much better bet, but what do I know.

At present I own a broken MX and a broken K1000SE (yippee, ultra rare collectors item, only a dozen trainloads were ever produced). The MX is too far gone to be fixed econmically but the K1000SE might respond to some TLC from a knowledgeable repairman.