Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2018, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
The Cosina-Voigtlander m42-mount "Bessaflex" was the last all-mechanical SLR to be made, in 2003:

Voigtlander Bessaflex TM

I could kick myself when after they were discontinued a few years later (no doubt due to lack of demand), cameraquest.com sold off the remaining stock @ US$100 each, and I foolishly passed on it, thinking they would go even lower.
Stunning looking that Bessaflex TM and I covet one myself.
I believe it was a boutique production camera and the small production definitely influences the price.

As far as the last production all manual camera, that might belong to the Nikon FM3A introduced in 2001 and discontinued in 2006. I really enjoy reading the backstory about keeping people from retiring as they were the only ones who knew how to fabricate parts - Manual-focusing SLR camera "Nikon FM3A" born in the 21st century

You gotta hand it to Nikon, not only did they make a full manual camera, they even innovated it by giving it a full hybrid shutter mechanism that was capable of aperture priority with batteries, but also full shutter speed control without. Along with a compliment of other features.

09-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #47

Original Poster
Having purchased DSLRs in the past few years, I am not complaining that a $100 K1000 is a "bad deal"...Its only a bad deal by comparison to what other, often better appointed cameras of the same basic sort in this still-glutted film SLR market, like a Spotmatic or KM. I got in two clean Spotmatics today, both with Super Tak lenses attached (one a 35mm wide) for about $50 delivered for the pair. There is paying a premium for a K1000, and then there is paying a ludicrous premium for a K1000. I like them just fine, but not that fine.
09-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm beginning to think that I should keep the brown MIJ K1000 SE that I have for sale. I might get a thousand for it if I hang on to it for another year or two.
09-20-2018, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
You must not live anywhere near the mountain west. Some of us buy them because a 900 pound elk doesn't fit very easily into the back of a Prius.
No. I live in the northeast, where my uncle once propped up a whitetail in the passenger seat of a Renault Le Car...

09-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Bessaflex models are M42 mount without automatic diaphragm.
Both Spotmatic and Topcon styles are attractive, but I just couldn't bring
myself to spend $300 for an SLR I'd have to do stop-down metering with.
I have just a few screwmount lenses and my SP1000 will suffice.

Years ago in the fall you'd often see cars driving south from Upstate NY
with deer carcasses tied to the trunk, sometimes even the hood.
How the heck did they see over those things?

Those were the days of big sedans with long flat hoods and trunks.
Cars today aren't made for that. Might get scratched, too...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-20-2018 at 06:18 PM.
09-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
You must not live anywhere near the mountain west. Some of us buy them because a 900 pound elk doesn't fit very easily into the back of a Prius.
And you clean that elk on the deck of your 1 bedroom flat?
09-20-2018, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Only the ones wearing beards, tattoos and/or checkered shirts.
Ha, I never knew I was a hipster (although I don't often wear the checkered shirts...)

---------- Post added 09-21-2018 at 12:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
As far as the last production all manual camera, that might belong to the Nikon FM3A introduced in 2001 and discontinued in 2006.
Nup, Leica M-A. Introduced in 2014 and still in production. Fully mechanical and manual, cloth focal-plane shutter, doesn't even have a lightmeter.

09-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
They obviously must be a great camera as this question is always asked and people are always lamenting the "high" cost which is usually in the neighborhood of $100. If that is considered a high cost then it will just stun you to know what an equivalent spec'd Leica M camera cost - and it's not even an SLR . . .
I think the point is it is a high cost when comparing it to higher spec'd Pentax cameras (which it is), not luxury cameras. :? I got my KX with three lenses for about 80$, or the general price of a K1000 by itself.

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Why do I get the impression on forums like these that whenever people are talking about 'hipsters' they really just mean young people shooting film?
"Hipster" is the new word that old people like to throw around at kids doing things they don't understand. Reading photo comments, only hipsters shoot Leica, polaroid, film cameras, Fuji cameras, Sonys, Canons, TLRs, Lens Babys, etc, etc, etc. There is no universal meaning for hipster, only "I don't personally see the value in that so they must just do it to be cool"

Last edited by Dipsoid; 09-20-2018 at 08:22 PM.
09-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I’ve wondered at times how much of the film camera market today is shooter, and how much is collectors for display on a shelf. The reason I mention it is for a shooter, the importance is feature set, where obviously the K1000 isn’t exceptional. Collectors are usually driven by other concerns. Rarity is the most common, which obviously the K1000 doesn’t satisfy, but the camera's influence, nostalgia, and other similar things could drive prices up.

As an example, when you compare the Rollei TLR prices (~$1500) with all the many Japanese TLRs (~$200) some of the price difference is the name. Is a beat up Contax T2 point and shoot really worth $700, just because it has a Zeiss lens and a the thumbs up from a popular photographer?

EDIT: yow! The T3 is listing from $1300 to $3000. Crazy.
09-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
I think the point is it is a high cost when comparing it to higher spec'd Pentax cameras (which it is), not luxury cameras. :? I got my KX with three lenses for about 80$, or the general price of a K1000 by itself.
I was being flippant. I've always known this crowd takes pride for the lowest priced acquisition . . .
I was telling my colleague that his multi thousand dollar Leica M had no better spec then a K1000 and the cost of his one lens could have gotten him the whole Pentax lens lineup. He told me that at least his Leica purchases entitles him to tour the factory in Germany . . . touché!
09-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking for some silver chrome tape for my P-touch label maker.
I plan to make a new batch of K1000 cameras to sell to hipsters...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-20-2018 at 10:45 PM.
09-21-2018, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote

"Hipster" is the new word that old people like to throw around at kids doing things they don't understand. Reading photo comments, only hipsters shoot Leica, polaroid, film cameras, Fuji cameras, Sonys, Canons, TLRs, Lens Babys, etc, etc, etc. There is no universal meaning for hipster, only "I don't personally see the value in that so they must just do it to be cool"
Oh, we oldsters understand perfectly. Hipsters of any age* are shallow, self-conscious attention seekers. They show icons to signal their virtue and group identity. Does that guy shoot film regularly or just walk around Dumbo wearing a an old camera around his neck?

* Where I live, Hipsters drive Teslas around town. The wealthy drive old Camrys or Accords or Subarus because they work.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-21-2018 at 02:15 AM.
09-21-2018, 02:21 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
for a shooter, the importance is feature set,

Less is more.
09-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Having features that you need, when you need them, that don't get in the way when you don't, is more. This is why for many, the XK is considered the best Pentax ever. It handles pretty much like the K1000, but when you are shooting from a tripod and need MLU to reduce camera shake for ultimate sharpness, or you need to jump into the photo and there's nobody around to shoot it for you, or you need DOF preview to ensure critical focus in a macro, the KX can do it all. Yes, there are workarounds for some of those situations, but why use a lesser camera and a workaround when you can have the right tool that was designed with the job at hand, in mind?
09-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh, we oldsters understand perfectly. Hipsters of any age* are shallow, self-conscious attention seekers. They show icons to signal their virtue and group identity. Does that guy shoot film regularly or just walk around Dumbo wearing a an old camera around his neck?

* Where I live, Hipsters drive Teslas around town. The wealthy drive old Camrys or Accords or Subarus because they work.
And that's partially my point. People just assume someone is doing it for attention. I know quite a few people who lug around film cameras, and they take quite a few pictures. I've never encountered the mythical hipster who wears a film camera as jewelry. At my local photo store, the young guys and girls who work at the film lab seem way more passionate about photography than the older guys who work at the digital camera area.

It's just something that bothers me a bit. I've been called a hipster before just because I "listen to music that no one has heard of". Yeah and I'm sure all the people at my local record store are buying records just to look cool, rather than simply they are passionate about music.

It's interesting about your comment about Teslas, making the assumption that people who drive Teslas don't work. That's literally the first time I've seen or heard someone say that hipsters drive Teslas, which further bolsters my point that calling someone a hipster is meaningless. My conservative religious boss who is the complete opposite of what most would call a hipster drives a Tesla. I don't know where you live, but the local wealthy town doesn't have any Camrys or Accords littering the mansions and downtown, it's filled with flashy Porsches, BMWs, Volvos, Audis, Mercedes, and even Lamborghinis.

I just think it's kind of reductive to tell someone who asks "why are the prices of K1000s so high?" that it's because of shallow hipsters. It denigrates young people who have discovered a new passion. It's probably more accurate and helpful to say that it's the most commonly recommended student camera there is. Every photography YouTube channel I follow has done a video about the K1000, and don't think most photography influencers ever mention any 35mm Pentax other than the K1000. My most recent annoyance about this was the Camera Store guys saying in their year end review that Pentax needs to make a digital K1000. It's like Pentax doesn't exist after 1975. It's sad, but it keeps the price of MXs, KXs, and Super Programs from getting inflated too much.

Last edited by Dipsoid; 09-21-2018 at 06:12 AM.