Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
It's sad, but it keeps the price of MXs, KXs, and Super Programs from getting inflated too much.
I would hate to see inflated prices on the MX...

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 9.12.04 AM.png
Views: 207
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 9.12.16 AM.png
Views: 214
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 9.12.34 AM.png
Views: 187
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 9.12.57 AM.png
Views: 206
Size:  130.5 KB

Of course the ME super is mostly ignored.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 9.11.09 AM.png
Views: 203
Size:  181.0 KB

It's almost like the MX is treated like an Olympus OM...

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 9.10.10 AM.png
Views: 211
Size:  185.9 KB

09-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I would hate to see inflated prices on the MX...

It's almost like the MX is treated like an Olympus OM...
I'm not sure what your point is, but my point is that the price of the k1000 is inflated way above what it should cost because it's so commonly recommended to beginners.

I could be wrong, but I've seen MXs sell for barely more than K1000s, and the MX is ten times the camera. Here's one being sold for a cool hundred bucks, not much higher priced than a typical K1000. This untested K1000 has two days of bidding left and it's already at 56$.

Last edited by Dipsoid; 09-21-2018 at 07:02 AM.
09-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
I'm not sure what your point is, but my point is that the price of the k1000 is inflated way above what it should cost because it's so commonly recommended to beginners.

I could be wrong, but I've seen MXs sell for barely more than K1000s, and the MX is ten times the camera. Here's one being sold for a cool hundred bucks, not much higher priced than a typical K1000.
I've been looking for an MX lately and it's price is going up. You often see clean ones in the $150 and up range. Those at $65 are usually dented up. I bought a new black MX from B&H in 1983 for $192. At one time I had 3 MXs...and since sold them all. Now I wish I kept one.

09-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I've been looking for an MX lately and it's price is going up. You often see clean ones in the $150 and up range. Those at $65 are usually dented up. I bought a new black MX from B&H in 1983 for $192. At one time I had 3 MXs...and since sold them all. Now I wish I kept one.
They are indeed going up. I missed the boat on one with a 40mm pancake on the forums here for I think it was about a hundred bucks about six months ago. It was already sold by the time I inquired, but the guy was selling another one with a 28 for 80$.

Mighty Mike is currently selling a working MX missing the power winder door for 78$ US, not a bad deal tbh, about what a decent K1000 will run.

Last edited by Dipsoid; 09-21-2018 at 07:20 AM.
09-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Less is more.
nonetheless, that is still a feature requirement that collector is less concerned with than a shooter.
09-21-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never said Tesla drivers don’t work. I said wealthy people drive modest cars because the modest cars work - they run with minimal maintenance for a decade or more, etc.

I inferred high income (and highly leveraged) poseurs in my area drive Teslas because they want to be seen driving Teslas.

IOW, it isn’t about whether one has a film camera. I have a dozen film cameras. It’s about why one has a film camera. Maybe poseur is a better aspersions than Hipster.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 09-21-2018 at 07:35 AM.
09-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never even seen a Tesla, though all the newer hotels have charging stations...

09-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
nonetheless, that is still a feature requirement that collector is less concerned with than a shooter.
IANA collector.
09-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #69
Veteran Member

The Cosina-Voigtlander m42-mount "Bessaflex" was the last all-mechanical SLR to be made, in 2003:
I think that Bessaflex qualifies as the last M42 mount camera to be introduced.

However, it is, under the skin, the same Cosina-derived chassis that was used in the Yashica FX-3 Super, Olympus OM-2000, Ricoh KR-5 Super II, and various Vivitar badged manual cameras etc. The Nikon FM-10 version was discontinued in just the last year or so, and may have been the last manual, mechanical, SLR in production (unless there's something being made in China somewhere most of us don't know about).

While the Cosina platform was fairly basic and low cost, it was versatile, and was adapted to all those mounts mentioned above. With the SLR mirror stripped out of the middle, it became the basis for the Voigtlander rangefinder cameras, and even the digital Epson R-D1 (I had one of those for awhile, and it was awesome fun).

Too bad you didn't snag one of those Bessaflexes when they were cheap enough. But I think I'd still rather have a nice clean, tight, Spotmatic F than three of those.
09-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No. I live in the northeast, where my uncle once propped up a whitetail in the passenger seat of a Renault Le Car...
Come on, this is a photography forum—pics or it didn't happen!
09-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I think that Bessaflex qualifies as the last M42 mount camera to be introduced.

However, it is, under the skin, the same Cosina-derived chassis that was used in the Yashica FX-3 Super, Olympus OM-2000, Ricoh KR-5 Super II, and various Vivitar badged manual cameras etc. The Nikon FM-10 version was discontinued in just the last year or so, and may have been the last manual, mechanical, SLR in production (unless there's something being made in China somewhere most of us don't know about).

While the Cosina platform was fairly basic and low cost, it was versatile, and was adapted to all those mounts mentioned above. With the SLR mirror stripped out of the middle, it became the basis for the Voigtlander rangefinder cameras, and even the digital Epson R-D1 (I had one of those for awhile, and it was awesome fun).

Too bad you didn't snag one of those Bessaflexes when they were cheap enough. But I think I'd still rather have a nice clean, tight, Spotmatic F than three of those.
Thanks for outlining the dubious pedigree of the Bessaflex. You may be right, the Spotmatics had better build quality, better materials, and based on that could outlast a *new* Bessaflex from 2003...

I had a K1000SE bought new for a few years, I remember reading in some photo mag (this was waaay before the internet) it was introduced because of some grousing about the non-SE build quality. While the K1000 is now apparently considered a prestigious collectors item, back in the day it may have dragged down Pentax' reputation.
09-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #72
Veteran Member

IANA collector.
thats my point.
09-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #73
Veteran Member

While the K1000 is now apparently considered a prestigious collectors item, back in the day it may have dragged down Pentax' reputation.
Yes, I think that's very true. I recall our local Pentax sales rep refusing to discuss anything about the K-1000 (at the time discontinued close to 10 years). I guess he was continually annoyed that dealers kept telling him "Pentax should make a digital version of the K-1000" ... or ... "Pentax should bring back the K-1000".

At the time they were flogging the unfortunately named *ist models, and weren't getting very far. The breakthrough seemed to come with the K100D - which looked like K1000 if you squinted. IBIS, and AA batteries they were a winning formula. I was a little sad when the K200D disappeared with no K300D to replace it.

I think if it hadn't been for Pentax embracing their "K" heritage, and ditching the *ist silliness, Pentax would have been DOOOOOOMED!
09-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Yes, I think that's very true. I recall our local Pentax sales rep refusing to discuss anything about the K-1000 (at the time discontinued close to 10 years). I guess he was continually annoyed that dealers kept telling him "Pentax should make a digital version of the K-1000" ... or ... "Pentax should bring back the K-1000".

At the time they were flogging the unfortunately named *ist models, and weren't getting very far. The breakthrough seemed to come with the K100D - which looked like K1000 if you squinted. IBIS, and AA batteries they were a winning formula. I was a little sad when the K200D disappeared with no K300D to replace it.

I think if it hadn't been for Pentax embracing their "K" heritage, and ditching the *ist silliness, Pentax would have been DOOOOOOMED!
Yeah they were able to tap into the massive legacy base of K-mount lenses. Even though once I had a K-mount body, I never acquired any lenses, using my m-42's with an adaptor. Then I wound up going back to m-42 bodies anyway.
09-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Going on my observations over the last decade, and the price tracking on PF (Pentax MX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications), MX prices haven't being going up at all. If anything they've had a gradual, long-term downward trend. When I first got into Pentax 35mm (which would have been around 2008) I expected to pay about $150 for a clean MX.