Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 76 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #106
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The Exell MRB625 is rated at 1.35V and I doubt a zinc air battery vs. mercury oxide makes any difference.
The MRB625 is a zinc air and as such has a limited lifespan once the tab is pulled regardless of usage. One can retape the air pores, but reports I have read indicate mixed success with that approach. At $6 USD per cell in bulk for the MRB625, the price of the MR-9 (<$30 USD) pays for itself fairly quickly for any camera that is used sporadically, but still regularly used. (A silver cell powering only the meter only can last for years within that use case.)

Steve

(...bought my last 386 at least three years ago...)

10-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #107
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Get em while the getting is good.
I got em! Three SP's, one SP1000, one SPII, an H1 and an H1a. There is always the chance I'll see another that I just can't pass up. It's funny how many are in 'like new' condition after all these years! Totally worth the CLA to keep em rolling. I think that if the K1000 had depth-of-field preview, I'd be tempted to get one... then all the K-mount lenses... ugh.
10-03-2018, 08:32 PM - 5 Likes   #108
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driftwood Quote
I think that if the K1000 had depth-of-field preview
Pentax KM | Review

Steve
10-04-2018, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Maybe for black and white film, but I'm pretty sure that meter does not have the voltage regulation necessary for accurate metering with an alkaline battery, at least compared to the original mercury battery.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm sure an Alkaline battery is going to be off by at least half a stop.

Yes, a Minolta SR-T with a good metering system will be out about a full stop with a 1.5V alkaline battery in it. On the plus side, the SR-T is one of the easiest and quickest cameras to calibrate, as the adjustment pots for the battery test and the meter bias are under the baseplate. It doesn't take long to get it dialed in for a 1.5v battery, and linearity is excellent.

Those who claim to have had no problem with using a 1.5v battery may have acquired a camera already calibrated - mercury batteries were banned from these shores over 20 years ago, and tons of cameras got adjusted by those who knew enough to get it done.

On the down side, the CDS cells in an SR-T are physically cemented to the top of the pentaprism, and the cement they used goes yellow and cracks and crumbles - this costs the meter some sensitivity. Putting a higher voltage battery in may compensate a bit for the foggy cement and make it look like all is well.

However, whenever servicing an SR-T, I always check the CDS cells and usually have to re-cement them - which is fine because I'm usually cleaning the underside of the prism and the focus screen condensor lens etc. anyway. Only then do I go about checking calibration with a newer battery.

10-05-2018, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driftwood Quote
I got em! Three SP's, one SP1000, one SPII, an H1 and an H1a. There is always the chance I'll see another that I just can't pass up. It's funny how many are in 'like new' condition after all these years! Totally worth the CLA to keep em rolling. I think that if the K1000 had depth-of-field preview, I'd be tempted to get one... then all the K-mount lenses... ugh.
Might as well go ahead and do it... K mount has some really cool old zooms...
For the record, you can half-dismount a K-mount lens to get depth of field preview on a K1000.
You can do the 'shutter button tap' to get mirror lockup...
And you can use a screw-in self timer you probably got with one of your H1s...
Or you can get a KM or KX for about the same money and do it the easy way

-Eric
10-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #111
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Or you can get a KM or KX for about the same money and do it the easy way
KM models usually go for a song.

Steve
10-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
M
And you can use a screw-in self timer you probably got with one of your H1s...
-Eric
Self-timers aren't trendy anymore, it's not s selphie unless you're holding the camera - unable to frame or focus properly...

10-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Self-timers aren't trendy anymore, it's not s selphie unless you're holding the camera - unable to frame or focus properly...
That's true but self-timers are very helpful if you forgot or don't have a remote shutter release for a long exposure on a tripod.
10-05-2018, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used a self-timer once.

I do however use depth-of-field preview all the time.
That's probably why I have never owned a K1000.

My wife found her K1000 too awkward to use once she required reading glasses.
I had Eric CLA it and my daughter opted for it over a nice KM I offered her...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-05-2018 at 01:11 PM.
10-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I found self timers useful now and again.

2352 Rievaulx Abbey, group photo par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
10-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #116
Pentaxian

That's true but self-timers are very helpful if you forgot or don't have a remote shutter release for a long exposure on a tripod.
The shutter lock on the KX, K2, MX and LX are very useful instead of having to have a remote locking shutter.

Last edited by LesDMess; 10-05-2018 at 06:39 PM.
10-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #117
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
KM models usually go for a song.

Steve
Thanks for the info fellas... I'll look into the KM (not nearly as sexy as a Spotmatic, but maybe it'll grow on me).
10-06-2018, 03:37 AM   #118
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Self-timers aren't trendy anymore, it's not s selphie unless you're holding the camera ...
I suppose you could always Photoshop a selfie stick into the picture ....

self-timers are very helpful if you forgot or don't have a remote shutter release for a long exposure on a tripod.
They are useful for any exposure on a tripod for other than moving subjects. For tripod shots of landscape, still life* and macro I use the ST routinely as the most convenient technique.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
my daughter opted for [a K1000] over a nice KM I offered her...
She must have hated that self-timer and DoF lever

* Still life = posh term for pictures of stuff to sell on ebay.
10-06-2018, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I still think the K1000 is a good camera (only having recently acquired one) I’ll usually grab my Super Program, new K2 or LX (not a fair comparison) before the K1000. Actually, I’ll probably grap the Spotmatic first.
10-06-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
While I still think the K1000 is a good camera (only having recently acquired one) I’ll usually grab my Super Program, new K2 or LX (not a fair comparison) before the K1000. Actually, I’ll probably grap the Spotmatic first.
I finally caved and bought a Japan K1000 and brown K1000SE in the used case at my local dealer (Pentax used gear is just crazy cheap now). I can’t say I like either as well as I like the blue match needle KX, except for the benefit of not having to pull the advance lever out to turn on the meter (which itself isn’t so bad now that I’ve had cornea surgery and I can shoot right eye again).