Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 76 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2018, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
Oh, and keeping to the topic of this thread, I have two K1000s that my uncle gave to me. They are beat up to all heck since he never cleaned them, and they have been all sorts of places, including (no lie) Arctic expeditions. I could clean them up and sell them for a tidy profit, but he passed away in August, so they are staying right where they are, just as he left them. Funny how certain little machines can be so much more important than others, just because of what they can do.
Sounds almost like you are describing my first Spotmatic F. I have 2 now, the one I got originally and the newer one (much later SN) that I picked up last year. The newer one is in damn near fresh out of the box condition, no nicks, scratches, dirt, etc even the film roll holder is scuff free and shiny. My original one is beat up, has bronzing in places, some of the black paint has worn off, as well as having a few small dents in the top and bottom plates. Both cameras have been CLAd recently but every time I grab my first one if I am shooting film. I love that camera and in the past 20 years it has been to 5 of the 7 continents, in conditions from well below 0F to well over 100F, at college, on my honeymoon, and at most of my major events of my adult life. I've only sent 1 roll of film through newer one and I keep telling my self that I should use it more but I still keep reaching for that beat up one.

10-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I know that car analogies are a thing on the internet, but I think that's about the least convincing one I ever heard How about a VW beetle or Morris Minor - Wikipedia (link for non-Brits) instead?
There were a pretty fair number of VW busses made (speaking of the split windshield variants up to 1967) But collectors interest have driven their value beyond crazy town. I used to have a 1963 deluxe (corner windows but no skylight windows). I sold it 20 years ago for $500. Today, it would easily fetch $25-40k. Basically one of these but in better condition:

TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - 1962 German 15-Window Deluxe Walk-Thru

So common things can get valued crazy (hows that for a car analogy. Sorry, I've only seen a morris minor once, so I cant come up with a Morris analogy.)
10-26-2018, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #183
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I know that car analogies are a thing on the internet, but I think that's about the least convincing one I ever heard How about a VW beetle or Morris Minor - Wikipedia (link for non-Brits) instead?
Citroen 2CV

(Image at Automobile Magazing...1948-1990 Citroën 2CV Collectible Classic | Automobile Magazine)

Steve

(...Lada?...)
10-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There is a discussion that was just started in Mike Eckman's Vintage Camera Collectors Facebook group asking if anyone else had noticed the resale market declining in the last 6 months, especially for 35mm cameras...

A great Facebook group BTW, lots of Pentax collectors...someone posts a photo of a Spotmatic almost every day...

Vintage Camera Collectors Public Group | Facebook
Thanks for the link! I was just wondering what happened to the prices on K1000s in particular (I've been on hiatus from photography for a while ). It seems weird that K1000s are being bid up, and up, and up with M50/2 lenses while other film cameras with MUCH better lenses are sitting.

10-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for the link! I was just wondering what happened to the prices on K1000s in particular (I've been on hiatus from photography for a while ). It seems weird that K1000s are being bid up, and up, and up with M50/2 lenses while other film cameras with MUCH better lenses are sitting.
If they were a stock I would sell into strength.

.:
10-31-2018, 06:18 AM   #186
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It must be about nostalgia. I was wandering around at a country fair with my KX earlier this year, when an old-timer saw it told me about the K1000 he had in his younger days. It must have been a very special K1000, because it had a motor drive. I just smiled and nodded...
10-31-2018, 06:29 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
I have two K1000s that my uncle gave to me. They are beat up to all heck....... Funny how certain little machines can be so much more important than others, just because of what they can do.
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Sounds almost like you are describing my first Spotmatic F.
K1000's sound like Spotmatic F's because basically they are. The Pentax KM of 1975 was a Spotmatic F with a K bayonet mount in place of the screw thread. The K1000 of 1976 was in turn a KM with certain features removed (most notably the self-timer) for cheapness.

10-31-2018, 06:43 AM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K1000's sound like Spotmatic F's because basically they are. The Pentax KM of 1975 was a Spotmatic F with a K bayonet mount in place of the screw thread. The K1000 of 1976 was in turn a KM with certain features removed (most notably the self-timer) for cheapness.
I was more referring to the attachment to a specific copy of an item rather than all copies in general. When ever I grab a film camera I almost always take my first Spotmatic even though the other one is basically mint as well as being newer.
10-31-2018, 06:54 AM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Citroen 2CV

(Image at Automobile Magazing...1948-1990 Citroën 2CV Collectible Classic | Automobile Magazine)

Steve

(...Lada?...)
Citroen 2CV. Ah, yes! Guy in my neighborhood has two of these beauties, also two DS, or one of its successor models. One of these sports a Maserati V 6! Talking with him it is evident that it is an obsession with him. They are apparently difficult to work on, although as a Delta mechanic he's well suited to difficult.

But I question you comparison of the 2 CV with the K 1000 The 2 CV although crude in appearance is quite sophisticated. Fully independent suspension all around, large suspension travel for reasonable comfort over atrocious surfaces - a plowed field, anyone? A recent James Bond film featured a car chase with one, from what I gather the chase wasn't too far-fetched.
10-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Citroen 2CV. ...They are apparently difficult to work on
I read an account by someone who owned one and was a long way from a Citroen dealer. First time he took it for a service at his local garage they refused to touch it for that reason. So he had a go himself and soon discovered that a lot of special tools are needed to do even basic things.
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
The 2 CV although crude in appearance is quite sophisticated. Fully independent suspension all around, large suspension travel for reasonable comfort over atrocious surfaces
The suspension was designed for French roads which at the time (I am told) tended to be straight but with those atrocious surfaces. I am in the UK and it was/is frightening to watch them on our winding English country roads - they lean outwards at angles like a ship turning to avoid a torpedo. Perhaps they are OK in the mid-west of the USA?

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 10-31-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Typo
10-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #191
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I read an account by someone who owned one and was a long way from a Citroen dealer. First time he took it for a service at his local garage they refused to touch it for that reason. So he had a go himself and soon discovered that a lot of special tools are needed to do even basic things.
Access to the engine was easy... once you'd removed the bonnet & both front wings...
10-31-2018, 10:29 PM   #192
Veteran Member

The suspension was designed for French roads which at the time (I am told) tended to be straight but with those atrocious surfaces. I am in the UK and it was/is frightening to watch them on our winding English country roads - they lean outwards at angles like a ship turning to avoid a torpedo. Perhaps they are OK in the mid-west of the USA?
I heard the story it was constructed to transport raw eggs over a plowed field without breaking them (the eggs). Wheeler dealers tested it and it worked.
11-01-2018, 02:40 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Access to the engine was easy... once you'd removed the bonnet & both front wings...
Low cunning works eg 8lb hammer will drift out a king pin if you heat the carrier a bit and wear safety glasses!
The panels only need the starting handle to remove side panels never bothered with bonnet (hood) myself!. Don’t know what a king pin is in US english... it is the swivel pin for steering.
11-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Don’t know what a king pin is in US english... it is the swivel pin for steering.
kingpin or king-pin
11-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #195
Veteran Member

It's not just K1000s, I just saw an istDS go for $150 with two meh lenses.