Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Guidance with the MX

I know the K1000 is praised because of its tank-like indestructibility, but is the MX as indestructible? I have the opportunity to bid on one, that may go extremely cheap. I love my K1000, but wouldn't mind a couple more bells and whistles on it. Are there pitfalls with the MX? How would I know if I get one that's essentially a paperweight?

09-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you have a made in Japan K1000 then you already know the quality you can expect from the MX.
09-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX takes a lot of destroying. David Hancock on YouTube had an MX (IIRC) that was so corroded the lens almost literally had to be hammered off the camera, but the body still delivered. Among other things, the shutter is completely mechanical so it will still keep working even if there are no batteries and the electronics mainboard fails (which they all will, one day).
09-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If you have a made in Japan K1000 then you already know the quality you can expect from the MX.
Mine's one of the later Hong Kong ones. I'm quite impressed as is, but are MIJ ones better?

---------- Post added 09-21-18 at 12:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The MX takes a lot of destroying. David Hancock on YouTube had an MX (IIRC) that was so corroded the lens almost literally had to be hammered off the camera, but the body still delivered. Among other things, the shutter is completely mechanical so it will still keep working even if there are no batteries and the electronics mainboard fails (which they all will, one day).
What kind of electronics? As I type this, I'm looking at my Mom's ME and comparing it to my 1000. What does the MX have the ME doesn't?

09-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
Mine's one of the later Hong Kong ones. I'm quite impressed as is, but are MIJ ones better?
MIJ means both parts and labor in Japan so it's as good as it gets.
09-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My MX feels less substantial than my K1000, but most of that is size.

The big viewfinder is awesome, and I also like the aperture and shutter being visible in the viewfinder.

They really complement each other.

-Eric
09-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a question about using the MX and I hope this doesn't derail the thread (as I didn't start it but it's been on my mind lately); the MX has to have the film advance lever slightly out away from the fully-at-rest position to actually shoot, right? Is that annoying to use? It seems weird to me coming from digital land and spending a few months using a Ricoh XR7 that doesn't have this "solution'. Is this annoying or am I over-thinking it?

09-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I have a question about using the MX and I hope this doesn't derail the thread (as I didn't start it but it's been on my mind lately); the MX has to have the film advance lever slightly out away from the fully-at-rest position to actually shoot, right? Is that annoying to use? It seems weird to me coming from digital land and spending a few months using a Ricoh XR7 that doesn't have this "solution'. Is this annoying or am I over-thinking it?
The advance lever does not have to be in the detente to capture a picture.

It does not even have to be in the detente position for the meter to work. You simply half press the shutter to enable th3 meter.

The lever has to be in the detente position however if you want the meter to stay on after you release the half press of the shutter button.

I used the MX for many years and never found the lever position to be an issue
09-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The early Nikons also use the advance lever as an on off switch for the meter. Some hate it, but the Nikons don't have the ability to meter with a half press of the shutter. Given that half pressing the shutter to meter has become commonplace with DSLRs, I'd think that it would be second nature.

To the OP, both are fully mechanical cameras that have batteries to power the light meter. Both are fully manual and don't have aperture priority or shutter priority. The K1000 is an older "full size" SLR, the MX was part of the trend towards more compact SLRs that was started by Olympus. Both are physically well built. The ME is another of the "small" SLRs that came later than the MX and has more automation. In fact, is is permanently in aperture priority mode, meaning you can't set shutter speed at all. You can set aperture, and you can adjust exposure compensation to get the shutter speed you want, but it doesn't have a manual mode.

EDIT: I'd also add, that if you want the automated modes like the ME, you're better off with the ME Super, which has a full manual mode in addition to aperture priority, or the SuperProgram, which has aperture priority, shutter priority, full auto exposure, and manual mode (shutter and auto require A lenses.)

Last edited by abruzzi; 09-21-2018 at 03:24 PM.
09-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To help make the MX lighter Pentax used thinner metal covers.
The top (pentaprism) cover is rather prone to dings and dents.
However most are just cosmetic and will not affect functionality.

Chris
09-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I know the K1000 is praised because of its tank-like indestructibility, but is the MX as indestructible? I have the opportunity to bid on one, that may go extremely cheap. I love my K1000, but wouldn't mind a couple more bells and whistles on it. Are there pitfalls with the MX? How would I know if I get one that's essentially a paperweight?
I've been using MX's for about ten years and love them. In this time the only issue I've had across four seperate bodies is a failed light-meter (although honestly any light meter of this vintage is probably on borrowed time).

If you get one 'extremely cheap' there is a good chance that you will need to send it for a CLA. This isn't a condemnation of the MX, rather it's acknowledging that any mechanical item that's four decades old might need some love and attention to work perfectly. You may be lucky and have it work perfectly out of the box, cbut it's something you should allow for in your budget if you don't want to have a paperweight.

Honestly, if it were me I would pay a little more and find a body that has had a recent service or that the seller can demonstrate is in good working condition - it will likely save you money in the long run. They pop up in the classifieds here regularly.

What kind of electronics? As I type this, I'm looking at my Mom's ME and comparing it to my 1000. What does the MX have the ME doesn't?
The only electronics in the MX are for the light-meter, and the camera is fully functional at all shutter speeds without it.

You're overthinking it. It just becomes muscle memory...
09-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #12

Don't hesitate to buy an MX. IMHO it's the best camera Pentax ever made.

However, I would figure the cost of a CLA as part of the price when buying any camera of this age. I just had my two MX bodies checked out by Eric Hendrickson and the total cost was about $110 each.
09-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KX is the only Pentax camera that requires the aperture lever out for the meter to work.
09-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I picked up a "bagful of Pentax" locally off craigslist that included a K1000SE, MX and various lenses for very little money.

The MX started me on the road to exploring manual focus cameras. In testing, those Pentax mf lenses far exceed dslr resolution specs. Clearly, these were made to last.

---------- Post added 09-22-18 at 01:57 PM ----------

BTW, the nearly 100% modification viewfinder of the MX is so huge, bright and sharp that you won't need a magnifier to get critical focus using an f1.2 lens.

Last edited by LesDMess; 09-22-2018 at 11:59 AM.
09-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I bought my K1000 (beaten up one cheaply) because I wanted a cheaper camera than my MX (which is a nice one - expensive - bought more than a decade earlier) to thrash about and something I wouldn't worry about if anything happened to it. It was a later one with plastic top & bottom plates but still felt less delicate (and less precise) than my MX

The MX is the ultimate Pentax mechanical camera and therefore is worth serious consideration if you like the K1000 - the big viewfinder is great unless you wear glasses - for me the corners are slightly cut-off meaning `I have to move my eye around.