Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
BTW, the nearly 100% modification viewfinder of the MX is so huge, bright and sharp that you won't need a magnifier to get critical focus using an f1.2 lens.
Heh, same set up I agree, shooting the f1.2 with the MX's viewfinder is glorious.

09-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have purchased two MX's. The first works fine, no problems. The second ended up being a bit of a slow moving train wreck. Light meter went, then the shutter speed dial in the viewfinder stopped working and then the shutter went. Repair estimate from Eric was $145, I ended up donating it for parts. I suspect the camera was treated poorly. I love my functional MX however, it travels with me wherever I go.
09-28-2018, 03:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I think if any camera of this age has been mistreated it’s quite possible you’ll end up with cascading failures...
09-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
To help make the MX lighter Pentax used thinner metal covers.
The top (pentaprism) cover is rather prone to dings and dents.
However most are just cosmetic and will not affect functionality.

Chris
I agree with this. Just bought a mint MX from eBay in Korea and I accidentally bumped the top prism. Ended up with a bad dent on the prism. Had to get a buddy to knock it out again. Very sad as the K1000 is so much tougher.

One other thing I realised is that the battery drains very fast, In the time I owned it, I have already changed 2 sets of batteries since early August 2018.

Last edited by felixkh; 09-29-2018 at 07:11 AM.
09-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I also agree that the pentaprism cover is vulnerable. Not long after I bought mine shortly after it was first introduced, I managed to hit it with a car steering lock - not hard enough to have ever affected operation, but enough to put a small dent in the metal. Rugged camera, though, and I never found mine to "eat" batteries back in the day - maybe the modern battery specs cause this as I think the original batteries are no longer made. My MX needs a thorough overhaul now, but it would be unlikely to see much use having gone digital, so I haven't bothered.
09-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Battery drain is a commonly experienced problem with the MX. It is not the normal condition for the camera. In other words, there's something wrong with it if it eats batteries that fast.
09-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote

One other thing I realised is that the battery drains very fast, In the time I owned it, I have already changed 2 sets of batteries since early August 2018.
My MX draws just 1.7mA when the meter is switched on; absolutely nothing when it's switched off, so no leakage. Batteries (cells!) are just standard LR44 1.5V button cells and are readily available. There is a 3V lithium equivalent - can't remember the number - being one battery the size of two original ones. I would caution against using that because its internal resistance will be so low and the relative energy so high that if there's a short-circuit, it could cause irrepairable damage.

09-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I have a vague memory of being told that the battery drain issue was a relatively common fault but an easy fix. My MX did the same thing but was fixed by Robin at Harrow Technical and has been flawless since (that was at least 10 years ago).
09-29-2018, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #24

One of my MX's

The manual is on my website if you need it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Dimage RD 3000  Photo 
09-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
One of my MX's

The manual is on my website if you need it.
I like that. Did you do the leather yourself?
09-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
Don't hesitate to buy an MX. IMHO it's the best camera Pentax ever made.

However, I would figure the cost of a CLA as part of the price when buying any camera of this age. I just had my two MX bodies checked out by Eric Hendrickson and the total cost was about $110 each.
I agree, and that is why I own 5 MXs and only one LX. However, I think the KX is as good, if the MX small size is an issue. My original 1977 MX has never had a service and never given trouble, but admittedly gets only occasional use.
09-30-2018, 02:19 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I like that. Did you do the leather yourself?

Yes, I did that together with a few other cameras.

---------- Post added 09-30-18 at 02:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I agree, and that is why I own 5 MXs and only one LX. However, I think the KX is as good, if the MX small size is an issue. My original 1977 MX has never had a service and never given trouble, but admittedly gets only occasional use.

The KX/MX debate is a very old one. Personally, I prefer the KX. The balance etc is better with the SMC lenses rather than the M series ones. (But if you have mainly M lenses the MX is better). The KX has the mirror lock up and I prefer the twin needle display in the KX. Still think the LX is the best of the 3 though.
09-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KX/MX debate is a very old one. Personally, I prefer the KX. The balance etc is better with the SMC lenses rather than the M series ones. (But if you have mainly M lenses the MX is better). The KX has the mirror lock up and I prefer the twin needle display in the KX. Still think the LX is the best of the 3 though.
I could never decide which of the three - KX | MX | LX - I liked best, so I have one of each.

.:
09-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I could never decide which of the three - KX | MX | LX - I liked best, so I have one of each.

.:

Only one? lol
09-30-2018, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only one? lol
In the active drawer. I have one each black and silver, split screen and matte, so four KX in total.

But I really only ever use the black, matte screen one.