Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Pentax KX, LX and MX. par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

09-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I must try and repeat that shot but one with all chrome bodies and one with all black bodies.
09-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That I cannot do! I have a black and a chrome MX, but just a chrome KX and the usual black LX. The not-black LXs are a bit out of my reach...
09-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote

The KX/MX debate is a very old one. Personally, I prefer the KX. The balance etc is better with the SMC lenses rather than the M series ones. (But if you have mainly M lenses the MX is better). The KX has the mirror lock up and I prefer the twin needle display in the KX. Still think the LX is the best of the 3 though.
Certainly the LX is "up-market" from the others, and its lightmeter is a marvel. If one enjoys automation then that is the way to go. My first camera in 1961 was a Kodak Retinette, and I could quickly set the three variables - Aperture - speed and focus leaving me time to concentrate on the picture. These days, with a K1, I dare not take a shot before I have confirmed a multitude of menu settings which translates into automation getting in the way and slowing me down by demanding my attention.
With the MX, I would set out with an estimated minimum appropriate speed for the light of that day and the aperture that that required. The focus was set to cover the range from about 20 feet to infinity. This meant that I would generally never miss a shot, and if I had a few seconds, I could turn the aperture to fine tune the exposure or adjust the focus. This is perfect for street photography.
I liken this to a fast draw in an old Western, where the target takes precedence over adjusting the gun sights. Besides all this, electronics don't last as long as the rest of the camera, and just expose one to an increased risk of failure, or dependence on batteries. My LX is a near mint example serviced by Erik, but I just don't enjoy it as much as my MX or even my SV.

09-30-2018, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Certainly the LX is "up-market" from the others, and its lightmeter is a marvel. If one enjoys automation then that is the way to go. My first camera in 1961 was a Kodak Retinette, and I could quickly set the three variables - Aperture - speed and focus leaving me time to concentrate on the picture. These days, with a K1, I dare not take a shot before I have confirmed a multitude of menu settings which translates into automation getting in the way and slowing me down by demanding my attention.
With the MX, I would set out with an estimated minimum appropriate speed for the light of that day and the aperture that that required. The focus was set to cover the range from about 20 feet to infinity. This meant that I would generally never miss a shot, and if I had a few seconds, I could turn the aperture to fine tune the exposure or adjust the focus. This is perfect for street photography.
I liken this to a fast draw in an old Western, where the target takes precedence over adjusting the gun sights. Besides all this, electronics don't last as long as the rest of the camera, and just expose one to an increased risk of failure, or dependence on batteries. My LX is a near mint example serviced by Erik, but I just don't enjoy it as much as my MX or even my SV.
Whenever people ask me for advice on what camera to get, I have always told them to "try them" and then get the one that suits them the best. And at the end of the day, you are not "forced" to use the automation. Even on a K1, you could set speed, aperture and manual focus. Then use it exactly as you suggest.
10-15-2018, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
And at the end of the day, you are not "forced" to use the automation. Even on a K1, you could set speed, aperture and manual focus. Then use it exactly as you suggest.
Although I marvel at the automatic features cameras have these days, I use my modern Pentaxes much as I did in the film days. For the kind of photography I do, it is still the easiest and fastest.
10-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The LX is a different and for me, a better camera, but there's not much difference between the KX, K1000 & MX - each has it's own features that you either like, dislike or don't mind either way. Condition is far more important than their original manufacture 40yrs on (although many K1000s are only 20yrs old). I have all three and use them interchangeably without much thought, my only preference is to use a beaten up K1000 if I'm likely to wreck it (I'd rather wreck it than an MX or KX in better condition), but wrecking a K1000 takes some doing.