Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thirty years ago I hated the old Ektachrome compared to Kodachrome. The new stuff is much nicer. I, too, used Agfa chrome when I was broke but 30 years later I've noticed it has a tendency to develop fungus... 😳

09-18-2019, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
09-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a thread with many E100 images - and discussion - over at Rangefinder Forum:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=166591

Chris
09-18-2019, 08:54 PM   #169
Pentaxian

Ektachrome in any and all iterations will require care with long-term archival storage. It has none of the archival permanence of Kodachrome, and much less than Fujichrome's E6 products. With long term storage the slides will benefit from occasional projection or very bright illumination.

09-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #170
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Ektachrome in any and all iterations will require care with long-term archival storage. It has none of the archival permanence of Kodachrome, and much less than Fujichrome's E6 products. With long term storage the slides will benefit from occasional projection or very bright illumination.
Interesting comment, as I have been tempted to look for a place to develop this film. It is not easy to find, not cheap and a pain to mail away, but I really miss my Kodachrome and hoped this could satisfy that need. Where did you get this information on the new film?
09-18-2019, 11:10 PM   #171
Pentaxian

The shortcomings of Ektachrome as a media for long-term archival preservation have been known for a very long time; at some stage Kodak did publish guidelines for archival storage -- probably in the 70s/80s [?]. Photographers like myself had early problems related to preservation in storage, and thus stopped using it (around 1984) in preference for Kodachrome. What Ektachrome slides I still have are quite insipid and uninspiring in the palette (like my photography generally of 40 years ago! ), and compared to Kodachrome slides from my late aunties of their varied European travels in the 60s, 70s, the Kodachrome slides are just a little on the brown side where the red is. My own Kodachromes from the mid 1980s to the first years of the 1990s are beautiful, especially bright red 1964 MGs -- a favourite subject way back then!

E6 processing is still plentiful down here (Melb) in the south and up the east coast, and the jobs (professional practice) are usually taken through to high-end scanning (Heidelberg Hell) and thus RA-4 printing in any of its varied media iterations -- very much a bespoke art from the bygone years (long before digital!) when slides were the only media accepted if you wanted consideration of your pic on the front page of a magazine. I don't see or know of anybody printing E100 in 35mm so I suspect there are some hold-outs out there who like to project slides, and more power to them.

I would also be tempted to recommend packing along a Skylight 1B or warming filter when using either Ektar 100 or Ektachrome 100. Like other E6 emulsions, it can be brutally cold in its appearance when shot in less than optimum light (it works superbly in flat to overcast light but can look terrible in bright sun, as all E6 films tend to).

Last edited by Silent Street; 09-18-2019 at 11:20 PM.
09-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The shortcomings of Ektachrome as a media for long-term archival preservation have been known for a very long time; at some stage Kodak did publish guidelines for archival storage -- probably in the 70s/80s [?]. Photographers like myself had early problems related to preservation in storage, and thus stopped using it (around 1984) in preference for Kodachrome. What Ektachrome slides I still have are quite insipid and uninspiring in the palette (like my photography generally of 40 years ago! ), and compared to Kodachrome slides from my late aunties of their varied European travels in the 60s, 70s, the Kodachrome slides are just a little on the brown side where the red is. My own Kodachromes from the mid 1980s to the first years of the 1990s are beautiful, especially bright red 1964 MGs -- a favourite subject way back then!

E6 processing is still plentiful down here (Melb) in the south and up the east coast, and the jobs (professional practice) are usually taken through to high-end scanning (Heidelberg Hell) and thus RA-4 printing in any of its varied media iterations -- very much a bespoke art from the bygone years (long before digital!) when slides were the only media accepted if you wanted consideration of your pic on the front page of a magazine. I don't see or know of anybody printing E100 in 35mm so I suspect there are some hold-outs out there who like to project slides, and more power to them.

I would also be tempted to recommend packing along a Skylight 1B or warming filter when using either Ektar 100 or Ektachrome 100. Like other E6 emulsions, it can be brutally cold in its appearance when shot in less than optimum light (it works superbly in flat to overcast light but can look terrible in bright sun, as all E6 films tend to).
The new E100 is a different emulsion than the older Ektachrome, so hopefully the long term storage of these slides will be better than the older film. However Kodachrome is second to none for long term storage, so I doubt the new E100 will ever match it.

This is the tech Pub from Kodak on the new E100:

KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME Film E100

KODAK EKTACHROME 100D COLOR REVERSAL FILM / 7294

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 09-19-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added link
09-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kodak claims recent Ektachrome films are much more archival than earlier versions.

Interestingly though Kodachrome was superior in dark storage,
Ektachrome is said to fade less in continuous/frequent projection.

Chris

09-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Kodak claims recent Ektachrome films are much more archival than earlier versions.

Interestingly though Kodachrome was superior in dark storage,
Ektachrome is said to fade less in continuous/frequent projection.

Chris

That's correct, because the new emulsions have new chemistry. The chemistry for the old era Ektachrome was not able to be reproduced as much of it was simply not available. But the Ektachrome hasn't been around long enough to set the claims in concrete. Watch this space in 30-40 years...

I'm wondering now where the 120 version of Ektachrome is? OK, so the northern hemisphere may see it first, but I thought it would have been introduced months ago?
09-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm wondering now where the 120 version of Ektachrome is? OK, so the northern hemisphere may see it first, but I thought it would have been introduced months ago?
I thought Iíd read that it was being tested in the field, but I donít remember where I saw that...

-Eric
09-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I thought Iíd read that it was being tested in the field, but I donít remember where I saw that...

-Eric
Yes it's being tested, supposedly this fall we will see 120 E100.

Phil.
09-19-2019, 11:27 PM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yes it's being tested, supposedly this fall we will see 120 E100.

Phil.

But it is not Fall. It is Spring.
09-21-2019, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Works great at night, didn't even need much colour correction on the scan. The slide itself looks exactly how I figured it would.

Here is a lonely droid:

09-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got 13 rolls of processed & mounted E100 back from the lab. I keep things in the analog world by sorting the slides on the light-table and then projecting them. I only scan the odd one to post on the forum or to email. Pretty much the same as when I started to shoot Kodachrome in the early 1970's.

I've shoot over 20 rolls of the new Ektachrome and it's now going to be my standard colour film, hopefully the 120 version will be equally as good.

Phil.
Attached Images

09-23-2019, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian

Very neat Phil, right down to the squeaky clean glass tabletop!
The two Ektachrome 100 images displayed in this thread are in need of correction of the blue cast, common photographing in both conditions.
I have no forward plans to shift from my almost 3-decade use of Fujifilm to Ektachrome, but will be trying out the 120 format Ekta when (if) it makes landfall here in Australia. At this time, Ektachrome 100 in 35mm is not particularly a strong seller here, despite an early enthusiastic spike. Among analogue professionals using E6 for RA-4 printing in larger formats (not 35mm), there is agreement that 120 should experience a bit more enthusiasm and take-up, and moreso if and when Kodak releases a 4x5 version.