Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Hopefully you jumped at the chance. When I stopped by today they told me that they'd received less than half of what they'd ordered and probably wouldn't be getting the rest until 2019.
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I did. They also said they got a fraction of what they ordered, but they think the rest is coming next week. I decided not to wait and get what I can. One roll of film in the camera is worth two in the store, so to speak

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
As much as it's irritating to have to wait, I guess it's good news that Kodak is having greater demand than their supply?
The film store here in Vancouver I use only got 20 rolls from Kodak, a fraction of what they ordered. There's a lot of film shooters here, so 20 rolls is not much. They probably could have sold ten times that in one day, I wanted 25 rolls just for myself. Yep I guess having one rolls is better than none and it's good to see so much interest in the new film. Hopefully this is just not a one off fad and people keep on shooting E100 for years.

Phil.

10-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe Kodak set up a new small volume line for Ektachrome, so production issues might be expected. No doubt they were concerned about sales volume, and didn’t want to over commit or over produce. Once the initial rush is over they’ll have a better feel for planning production.
10-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #48

According to the FPP Instagram page, the demand far exceeded the supply. FPP shipped out 1000 rolls this week, and their next shipment due 10/15/18 was delayed a month.

I'd say that Kodak not being able to keep up is a good thing.
10-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #49
jnd

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought one roll of the new E100 on Friday, managed to shoot it over the weekend with proven ME Super body and tomorrow after work I shall see the results I didn't preorder anything, the couple film shops around here didn't have it registered in eshop at all. I checked it semi randomly and it was there on stock last week. It's a small shop, I visited shortly before closing time but one other customer came for another two rolls and now they show over 50 in stock, maybe because it's not much advertised. Cost with tax is 13 EUR which is considerably cheaper than Macodirect at 15 EUR which is out of stock anyway.

Due to high price I bought only one, there's still cheaper Provia, although the relabeled older Provia known as Agfa Precisa CT-100 is no more and I have only one more roll of it. For slides I prefer 120 anyway and still have some Provias left. However it seems Ektachrome will be the only one left soon, so it comes at the perfect time. Never shot Kodak's E-6 before, as my more serious interest in film came after it had been discontinued already, so I'm excited to see if it wins me over.

10-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If it is business sense that drives them: they have chosen to start out in a weird corner. Transparency films have on average 3.5-/+ stops less DR than negative films*, granularity is more apparent in the highlights, and finding labs that still do E-6 will be difficult.
They started off on this project at the request of 'independent movie producers' - so this corner was the obvious place to start.
10-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you are referring to this I presume?
10-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Ektachrome didn't show up before I left for my trip thorugh the middle of the country, but I had Velvia 50 with me.

While I was gone, I received an email from the Film Photography Project stating they didn't get enough film to fulfill the pre-orders, and would finish filling them when they received the next batch of film, sometime in December. So I was sort of double bummed out that I wouldn't be getting it before December.

Much to my surprise, my two rolls I pre-ordered were in my mail box when I returned from my trip. I guess I ordered early enough to get my rolls. First roll is loaded and ready for daylight!

10-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am looking forward to seeing the first images posted taken with the new Ektachrome.

Chris
10-26-2018, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #54
jnd

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I am looking forward to seeing the first images posted taken with the new Ektachrome.

Chris
I'm again disapointed with quality of local labs scans. I thought my photos were severely underexposed but then I check the film itself there are more details both in shadows and in highlights. Couple ones look nice right away but I'll have to DSLR scan them myself to really do it any justice. Even the biggest print company in the country which offers film development (though no E-6 I believe) with scanning basically as a side job doesn't do it well - only one resolution, auto corrections which boost dark areas to ugly noise, however the prints themselves look better than a local lab ones, because they have better machines than some old minilabs.

Anyway I'll post one original scan:

If you look at the original in gallery you can see that sharpness is definitely there.
10-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jnd Quote
I'm again disapointed with quality of local labs scans. I thought my photos were severely underexposed but then I check the film itself there are more details both in shadows and in highlights. Couple ones look nice right away but I'll have to DSLR scan them myself to really do it any justice. Even the biggest print company in the country which offers film development (though no E-6 I believe) with scanning basically as a side job doesn't do it well - only one resolution, auto corrections which boost dark areas to ugly noise, however the prints themselves look better than a local lab ones, because they have better machines than some old minilabs.

Anyway I'll post one original scan:

If you look at the original in gallery you can see that sharpness is definitely there.
I am now basically done with what turned out to be a nine year project of scanning forty years of media {mostly Kodachrome slides}. If you have brand-new media, I guess you could get away with photographing slides .... but then I wonder why you didn't take the photo with the digital camera in the first place, With older media, I found that a true 'scanner' (*) does a better job of correctly for defects in the media {dust, fungi, etc}

(*) I have both an elderly Nikon LS-2000 and a newer Plustek scanner.
10-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I've had a email to say my Ektachrome has shipped, just as I left the country! It should be waiting for me when I return.

K.
10-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got my first roll back from the processing Lab and the colours look good on the light table. (especially the blues) Also got the Lab to scan the slides and you do loose some of the "impact" of the original analog version when posting them in digital. Also picked up five more rolls of E100 from the film Lab, who only got 10 in from Kodak. I posted a few samples in the "film shots" thread.

Phil.
10-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I just got my first roll back from the processing Lab and the colours look good on the light table. (especially the blues)
In other words, the new Ektachrome is a reasonable facsimile of the old Ektachrome?
10-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A film that combines the reds and yellows of Kodachrome with the blues of Ektachrome, and perhaps the greens of Velvia sounds ideal.

Or perhaps a bit too cartoonish...

Chris
10-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I just got my first roll back from the processing Lab and the colours look good on the light table. (especially the blues) Also got the Lab to scan the slides and you do lose some of the "impact" of the original analog version when posting them in digital.
On the other hand, when I post a scanned version of a slide, someone invariably does comment "I knew it was from film immediately".