Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
In other words, the new Ektachrome is a reasonable facsimile of the old Ektachrome?
Yep the older stuff, prior to the E100G, E100VS and E100GX last versions.

Phil.

---------- Post added 26-10-18 at 19:33 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
On the other hand, when I post a scanned version of a slide, someone invariably does comment "I knew it was from film immediately".
It's more of the colours of the scanned slide that are off, than the fact it looses the "film look". I'm far from being a scanning master, but matching the scanned colours to the positive are pretty hard for me.

My scanning s/w has a Kodachrome profile built-in and that's the closest I can get to the original analog version of any type of slide .

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 10-26-2018 at 07:35 PM.
10-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep the older stuff, prior to the E100G, E100VS and E100GX last versions.
I wonder if it handles cross processing/bleach bypass with as much aplomb as the aforementioned Kodak films did. Pretty much all Fuji films develop this horrid green-yellow cast when you alter the chemistry.
10-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I wonder if it handles cross processing/bleach bypass with as much aplomb as the aforementioned Kodak films did. Pretty much all Fuji films develop this horrid green-yellow cast when you alter the chemistry.
Not sure, but time will tell.

The new E100 is still pretty hard to come by, when it's been around for a while I'm sure someone will try cross processing. (or a lab somewhere will accidentally do it for you )

Phil.
10-27-2018, 03:16 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
A film that combines the reds and yellows of Kodachrome with the blues of Ektachrome, and perhaps the greens of Velvia sounds ideal.

Or perhaps a bit too cartoonish...

Chris
Interesting. I always thought of Velvia as a "blue", even deep blue film...

10-27-2018, 05:51 PM - 4 Likes   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got 3 rolls from B&H, which even with the exchange rate and shipping is a cheaper option than buying from Canadian purveyors. Seriously.

Anyways, my first roll came back today and I'm pretty pleased. The scans are fine, look good on small screens and decent on big ones, but obviously they don't capture the entirety of what I see in the positives.

The quality of the photography is, by my standard, the usual inconsistent, but there are some I'm pretty happy with. Here's one:

It's dangerously close to a "Dave Shot" but I think I made it work compositionally. Looks like the truck is peering out from behind the shed, all creepy like.

I'm gonna have to make these last two rolls stretch a bit. I have...ideas, but they'll have to wait until spring.
10-27-2018, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got my first Ektachrome roll from the FPP! (Well, first of the new Ektachrome. I used it a lot in the '70's and '80's.) What Pentax camera should I use with it? I've got my Spotmatic, K1000, Super Program, PZ-1P, ZX-L, or MZ-S. I'm leaning towards the MZ-S (2001 release), since I understand that the new Ektachrome is similar to the Ektachrome emulsions sold in the early 2000's, and that is when the MZ-S was the top Pentax SLR. I'd like the film and camera to have some historical connection. Also I recently got a SMC Pentax-FA 24-90mm F3.5-4.5 AL [IF] lens, which was released in 2001 along with the MZ-S, so I think this combination would be appropriate for the new Ektachrome 100.
10-27-2018, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Just got my first Ektachrome roll from the FPP! (Well, first of the new Ektachrome. I used it a lot in the '70's and '80's.) What Pentax camera should I use with it? I've got my Spotmatic, K1000, Super Program, PZ-1P, ZX-L, or MZ-S. I'm leaning towards the MZ-S (2001 release), since I understand that the new Ektachrome is similar to the Ektachrome emulsions sold in the early 2000's, and that is when the MZ-S was the top Pentax SLR. I'd like the film and camera to have some historical connection. Also I recently got a SMC Pentax-FA 24-90mm F3.5-4.5 AL [IF] lens, which was released in 2001 along with the MZ-S, so I think this combination would be appropriate for the new Ektachrome 100.
I think you'll like what you get. It's a pretty honest film, from what I can tell. If you have a good scene and know how to capture it, it'll be right there along with you.

My setup gives it a bit of an older look but newer cameras and lenses will probably make it a bit more modern looking.

11-04-2018, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just finished processing my Ektachrome along with a roll of Velvia 50 (for comparison sake). I processed them at home, which I’ve thus far had great luck with the Velvia. Hanging to dry it looks great, now if my scans will show what I see. Sadly I work the next two days and may not get them scanned until Wednesday.
11-05-2018, 08:07 PM - 4 Likes   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ektachrome 100
Pentax MZ-6 and FA77 Limited

The scanner is still working on my first roll, but here's a couple before I head to the bed.

11-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Ektachrome 100
Pentax MZ-6 and FA77 Limited

The scanner is still working on my first roll, but here's a couple before I head to the bed.

Thanks for sharing. The colours seem a little muted, don't they? Muted, but nice... Does processing have an impact on how they turn out?
11-06-2018, 02:50 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Thanks for sharing. The colours seem a little muted, don't they? Muted, but nice... Does processing have an impact on how they turn out?
In some shots they seem a bit muted. I processed a roll of Velvia 50 with the Ektachrome, since I've processed Velvia before, it will be my baseline. Tonight I'll scan the Velvia, although the film hanging looks good. If there were any issues with processing or chemicals, I'll find it when I scan the Velvia.
11-07-2018, 01:02 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some users chose Ektachrome over Kodachrome for a more neutral color palette.
In this new version I expect the aim was accurate if slightly muted colors.
It should be interesting to see if Kodak tweaks the film based on consumer reaction.

Chris
11-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I was happy with the colours I got from my roll. I think they are saturated enough without being garish, and, from my own experience and from images I've seen, they've really nailed the skin tones for a wide variety of skin colours. Of course some will prefer a different look and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm looking for an excuse to shoot my second roll but it costs 39 bucks to get it developed and scanned (a lot of that is shipping the film to a lab that can process E6) so I want to shoot it for a reason other than just me wandering around.
11-07-2018, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
a lot of that is shipping the film to a lab that can process E6
Are you talking about the cost of shipping from Brandon to Winnipeg, or does Lab Works no longer process E6?
11-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Are you talking about the cost of shipping from Brandon to Winnipeg, or does Lab Works no longer process E6?
Lab Works still does E6, and they do it pretty well, actually. The cost of Lab Works shipping back from Winnipeg to Brandon is pretty ridiculous. I kind of have to eat the cost because driving to and from Winnipeg twice just for that one thing is kind of a waste and is probably just as expensive (eight hours total of driving).

So I will, eventually, process my own E6, once I can put a kit together. Of course, if somebody pays me to shoot a roll, I'll pay whatever shipping, haha.