Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 01:20 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
An E6 mini lab is a different machine from a C41 mini lab.
It was the C41 mini labs that buried mono as an option for the happy snappers!
Until XP1 came along... I was using that in the early 80s. I loved being able to shoot at 1600ASA. 😀

11-16-2018, 02:31 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Until the C41 mini labs appeared mono (and transparency) was cheaper than print film per shot! Most people took a simple camera on holidays! The trade called the syndrome bikini between two xmas trees films! Nowadays they all have smart phones!
11-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are there still mini labs? I don't see them around here anymore.
My comment was directed mostly towards mail order labs.

Chris
11-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Until the C41 mini labs appeared mono (and transparency) was cheaper than print film per shot! Most people took a simple camera on holidays! The trade called the syndrome bikini between two xmas trees films! Nowadays they all have smart phones!
Yes, in the 1960s all the 35mm & 120 photographers I knew shot slide film for color, while color print film was used by those with instamatics and point-and-shoots. If you shot for publication they wouldn't accept color negatives, it had to be Kodachrome. Kodachome 25 was my main color film, with High Speed Ektachrome (I think 160) only for low light. Kodachrome 64 then was too high contrast, especially for publication.
Compared to color prints, slides were dirt cheap.
Of course, we shot mainly B&W. Panatomic X was my favorite, but a lot of Tri-X shot at 1200 and processed in Acufine for available light.

I'm trying the new Ektachrome now, and thawing a roll of the old 100G for comparison.
Yet I still miss Kodachrome 25. It was the only film that gave great results in my Stereo Realist camera - everything else was too grainy on the smaller size frame.

11-17-2018, 03:38 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Yes, in the 1960s all the 35mm & 120 photographers I knew shot slide film for color, while color print film was used by those with instamatics and point-and-shoots. If you shot for publication they wouldn't accept color negatives, it had to be Kodachrome. Kodachome 25 was my main color film, with High Speed Ektachrome (I think 160) only for low light. Kodachrome 64 then was too high contrast, especially for publication.
Compared to color prints, slides were dirt cheap.
Of course, we shot mainly B&W. Panatomic X was my favorite, but a lot of Tri-X shot at 1200 and processed in Acufine for available light.

I'm trying the new Ektachrome now, and thawing a roll of the old 100G for comparison.
Yet I still miss Kodachrome 25. It was the only film that gave great results in my Stereo Realist camera - everything else was too grainy on the smaller size frame.
Yes I used 25 for all my shots, until the day the pharmacy said they said Kodak stopped making it!
Confirm the 160... I carried a motor cycle battery... reflectors etc.
12-10-2018, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like Kodak has fixed the Ektachrome backlog and it's rolling into stores in bulk now.

My local film store just got in 100 rolls, 25 of which are for me....

Phil.
12-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Looks like Kodak has fixed the Ektachrome backlog and it's rolling into stores in bulk now.

My local film store just got in 100 rolls, 25 of which are for me....

Phil.
Good to hear. I don't shoot much film in the winter, somehow doesn't work for me. But I am looking forward to shooting some more ektachrome in the spring. I hope they get the 120 format ready by then...

12-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Good to hear. I don't shoot much film in the winter, somehow doesn't work for me. But I am looking forward to shooting some more ektachrome in the spring. I hope they get the 120 format ready by then...
Winter is depressing...

But yeah, Ektachrome seem to be in stock now.
12-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Winter is depressing...

But yeah, Ektachrome seem to be in stock now.
Same here, shoot way less in the winter. Usually do indoor macro work when it's crappy out.

I had run out of all 135 format film, so the release of Ektachrome gave me an excuse to stock up. Most of the Ektachrome is in the freezer, keeping the peas & corn company.

Yes I do hope E100 also is released in 120 format. Almost out of 120 film as well, down to the last few rolls of Provia 400x.

Phil.
12-11-2018, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Veteran Member

I love the weather in winter (but I'm down here in the desert, so its a bit different.) My issue is that sunset today is 5:03pm. I get off work at 5pm. Since I do very little indoor shooting, that limits me to weekend shooting.

I think work hours should expand and contract based on available sunlight.
12-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I love the weather in winter (but I'm down here in the desert, so its a bit different.) My issue is that sunset today is 5:03pm. I get off work at 5pm. Since I do very little indoor shooting, that limits me to weekend shooting.

I think work hours should expand and contract based on available sunlight.
I'll shoot outside in the winter anytime time it's relatively sunny weather. The temperature is a non factor for me, as its not that cold here in Vancouver compared to other parts of Canada.

It's the constant rain we get in the winter, with few sunny days. Not much incentive to go out and shoot when it's raining and +1C/33F......

Phil.
12-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #102
Veteran Member

I did just get notification that my Ektachrome is shipping. I ordered late with theFINDlab so I expected to be one of the last recipients.
12-11-2018, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I'll shoot outside in the winter anytime time it's relatively sunny weather. The temperature is a non factor for me, as its not that cold here in Vancouver compared to other parts of Canada.

It's the constant rain we get in the winter, with few sunny days. Not much incentive to go out and shoot when it's raining and +1C/33F......

Phil.
It hasn't been that cold here in Manitoba...yet. A few days of -20. Not too great for the shutters of my cameras, so I think lots of indoor shoots with flash are in order.

I have two rolls of Ekatachrome in my fridge. I think I'm gonna save them for special projects. It really is quite wonderful.
12-13-2018, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member

Just got an email from the downtown camera in Toronto saying that they have ektachrome in stock.
12-13-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got an email from the downtown camera in Toronto saying that they have ektachrome in stock.
Good stuff, let us know what you think after trying it.

Phil.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
I have two rolls of Ekatachrome in my fridge. I think I'm gonna save them for special projects. It really is quite wonderful.
Yep it is, so far I like it about the same as the old E100G.

Phil.