Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2019, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Very neat Phil, right down to the squeaky clean glass tabletop!
The two Ektachrome 100 images displayed in this thread are in need of correction of the blue cast, common photographing in both conditions.
I have no forward plans to shift from my almost 3-decade use of Fujifilm to Ektachrome, but will be trying out the 120 format Ekta when (if) it makes landfall here in Australia. At this time, Ektachrome 100 in 35mm is not particularly a strong seller here, despite an early enthusiastic spike. Among analogue professionals using E6 for RA-4 printing in larger formats (not 35mm), there is agreement that 120 should experience a bit more enthusiasm and take-up, and moreso if and when Kodak releases a 4x5 version.
I've been holding off from trying the 135 Ektachrome however I'm quite interested in the 120 when available.
Even though there is nowhere in my city that processes E-6 anymore I guess that is a relatively common story.
To be honest I am quite surprised that the 120 version isn't available yet. I thought it would "just" be a matter of cutting or producing the film to a different width, and winding up in the 120 spools with backing paper etc. I'm surprised that it would need much testing, or am I missing something entirely?

Oh and nice setup Phil!!

09-23-2019, 08:31 PM - 2 Likes   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What a DUMP

09-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
I've been holding off from trying the 135 Ektachrome however I'm quite interested in the 120 when available.
Even though there is nowhere in my city that processes E-6 anymore I guess that is a relatively common story.
To be honest I am quite surprised that the 120 version isn't available yet. I thought it would "just" be a matter of cutting or producing the film to a different width, and winding up in the 120 spools with backing paper etc. I'm surprised that it would need much testing, or am I missing something entirely?

Oh and nice setup Phil!!

Yes.
We, collectively as users of E6 products in any format, need to use a lot more of this, a lot more often, to ensure a viable future, which I am not confident of.
E6 machines require a constant throughput to remain operational and keep maintenance overheads down (low throughput and high maintenance costs are the real killers of E6 services). There are plenty labs where I am providing an E6 service ongoing, but it will only take the loss of say two films from Fujichrome, and the death knell will well and truly be sounding: you will never have seen an exodus since Jesus played the Under 15s at Nazereth... . There is insufficient use of other E6 products e.g. Rollei, Kodak's offerings etc., with the mainstay being Fujichrome's products dominating lab processing.

I see you are in Perth. Now I haven't been to Perth since 2011 when I stopped there on my around-Australia travels over 5 months, but I bought Provia 100f from a shop in the Mall (?) and that shop also processed by basketful of Velvia and Provia ... Murray's?? Or is that in Hobart/TAS?? This was a fairly big mall/closed street that kept us all enthused and interested with the variety of shops.
09-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Yes.
We, collectively as users of E6 products in any format, need to use a lot more of this, a lot more often, to ensure a viable future, which I am not confident of.
E6 machines require a constant throughput to remain operational and keep maintenance overheads down (low throughput and high maintenance costs are the real killers of E6 services). There are plenty labs where I am providing an E6 service ongoing, but it will only take the loss of say two films from Fujichrome, and the death knell will well and truly be sounding: you will never have seen an exodus since Jesus played the Under 15s at Nazereth... . There is insufficient use of other E6 products e.g. Rollei, Kodak's offerings etc., with the mainstay being Fujichrome's products dominating lab processing.

I see you are in Perth. Now I haven't been to Perth since 2011 when I stopped there on my around-Australia travels over 5 months, but I bought Provia 100f from a shop in the Mall (?) and that shop also processed by basketful of Velvia and Provia ... Murray's?? Or is that in Hobart/TAS?? This was a fairly big mall/closed street that kept us all enthused and interested with the variety of shops.
Yeah, it would be a shame to lose E-6. I am mostly happy with shooting negative film however perhaps it's time to buy a bunch of E-6 rolls and shoot away to do my bit. There's plenty of good development services interstate and elsewhere that I can post the rolls to.
Sounds like you mean Murray Street Mall. There's only two camera shops in the vicinity of this mall and the only one with a minilab that I know of is a Camera house franchise which I believe does C-41 only. Funnily enough I dropped a roll there this morning on my way to work.

The last lab here that was known to develop E-6 stopped doing so within the last 3 years. Actually there is a lack of good quality labs here overall. Many people I know from the local film photography group send their rolls to places such as Rewind in NSW or various others.

09-23-2019, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Yeah, it would be a shame to lose E-6. I am mostly happy with shooting negative film however perhaps it's time to buy a bunch of E-6 rolls and shoot away to do my bit. There's plenty of good development services interstate and elsewhere that I can post the rolls to.
Sounds like you mean Murray Street Mall. There's only two camera shops in the vicinity of this mall and the only one with a minilab that I know of is a Camera house franchise which I believe does C-41 only. Funnily enough I dropped a roll there this morning on my way to work.

The last lab here that was known to develop E-6 stopped doing so within the last 3 years. Actually there is a lack of good quality labs here overall. Many people I know from the local film photography group send their rolls to places such as Rewind in NSW or various others.

Atkins Lab in Adelaide provides E6.

For a few years (long ago now) I used their services to process E6 then went 'round the corner' to ChromaColour (defunct since 2010) to start Ilfochrome Classic printing.
09-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
What a DUMP

You know, if you clean out your car more often, it won’t be this bad

For some reason, that’s what jumped into my head with this... I suspect that’s an excellent example of the viewer influencing the perception of the image...

-Eric
10-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #187

That is quite amazing considering the specialized market. Thanks for the information.

10-07-2019, 02:19 PM - 3 Likes   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

E100 in the rain.

Took this just as it started to rain using a skylight filter. (A cloudy or 81a would have been better.) This is a "home" scan, so it's not as vibrant as the original slide, but never the less shows that the film is ok in various lighting.

Phil.
10-08-2019, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #189
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Ayot St Lawrence in the fog par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
10-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely work folks!

With no prospect of using it this year I gave away my two rolls of new Ektachrome.
I will definitely buy more next year...

Chris
10-12-2019, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #191
Pentaxian

lunchtime Gandhi par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
11-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barthovis Quote
No 120! 😦
It's in beta, I'm hoping it comes out sooner than later. That being said I just developed my first roll of velvia 50 and I thought it looked really nice
11-24-2019, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #193
Veteran Member

Here are a couple from me. All shot on Pentax MX w/40mm or 135mm for the tighter shots.

I'm still closing in on a tighter scanning process, I'm using fine paper to diffuse the light, but you can see how it mottles the sky. I have a sheet of translucent plastic on order to use instead which I expect will deal with the mottled sky.

I have a single roll left, but I will have to try out an E6 kit to see if there is a drop in quality. Once you throw in shipping, developing, shipping back, its almost $40.00/roll, a tad bit on the pricey side for what I use it for.

The pictures look great - these are all SOOC other than some cropping and alignment. First time shooting slide film, and the transparencies look fantastic on their own.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
11-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #194
Veteran Member

A couple on Portra 400 in comparison, noting these were shot on an M4-P with a 35mm color skopar.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
11-24-2019, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #195
Veteran Member