Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 12:57 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My old-New MZ-S After Returning From Repair

My MZ-S suffered the dreaded Mirror Motor Gear failure in 2012 and no one in Singapore could get it fixed so it stayed in the dricabinet until this year when a buddy when to Japan on a business trip and chanced upon this company that is staffed by former Pentax engineers that HOYA laid off when they bought Pentax. The company is called NSB Tekunos.

Here is a photo of the lovely MZ-S and I can use it again to shoot film.

Bought this fine camera in 2008 and loved the camera to bits.

09-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
My MZ-S suffered the dreaded Mirror Motor Gear failure in 2012 and no one in Singapore could get it fixed so it stayed in the dricabinet until this year when a buddy when to Japan on a business trip and chanced upon this company that is staffed by former Pentax engineers that HOYA laid off when they bought Pentax. The company is called NSB Tekunos.

Here is a photo of the lovely MZ-S and I can use it again to shoot film.

Bought this fine camera in 2008 and loved the camera to bits.
I found their website: ?????????????????NSB?????
09-26-2018, 01:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I found their website: ?????????????????NSB?????
Yes, this is the one
09-26-2018, 01:52 AM - 2 Likes   #4

This company was discussed previously in this thread:

Lens Repair Co. run by Retired Pentax Engineers - PentaxForums.com

Note: The mirror motor gear problem is usually that the plastic gear on the motor cracks. The replacement motors had metal gears on them, and perhaps some of the later production cameras came equipped with the metal gear. There is a website (in Poland as I recall) that sells a compatible gear that you can get in brass. However, you need to either change the gear yourself or find a technician that will do it for you.

kkpmo - Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

You need to change the 1.5mm and the width to 2.0 and material to brass - although you could leave it as plastic that might break again in time. If you searched around you could probably find another source for the same size gear.

09-26-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic news, I always wanted to know about the MZ-S and this subject.
09-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
This company was discussed previously in this thread:

Lens Repair Co. run by Retired Pentax Engineers - PentaxForums.com

Note: The mirror motor gear problem is usually that the plastic gear on the motor cracks. The replacement motors had metal gears on them, and perhaps some of the later production cameras came equipped with the metal gear. There is a website (in Poland as I recall) that sells a compatible gear that you can get in brass. However, you need to either change the gear yourself or find a technician that will do it for you.

kkpmo - Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

You need to change the 1.5mm and the width to 2.0 and material to brass - although you could leave it as plastic that might break again in time. If you searched around you could probably find another source for the same size gear.
Thanks, didn't to know about the thread.
09-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #7

It's good to hear from someone with actual experience dealing with them. Did you deal directly with them, shipping the camera direct or did you have a contact in Japan that took care of it?

09-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's good to hear from someone with actual experience dealing with them. Did you deal directly with them, shipping the camera direct or did you have a contact in Japan that took care of it?
I wrote an email to them to inquire about the repair and then shipped to them via EMS.

The email is
nsb_tekunos@bloom.ocn.ne.jp

It took about 2 weeks before the camera came back to me.

Cheers.

---------- Post added 09-27-2018 at 09:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Fantastic news, I always wanted to know about the MZ-S and this subject.
I am glad that there is such a dedicated group of ex-Pentax staff who are still willing to help Pentax owners of older models.
09-26-2018, 11:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Are we sure that this is the same issue like with the other MZ-series cameras? I find it puzzling that there are basically no reports on that with the MZ-S. Or is it just because few MZ-S were sold? Hope mine doesnt fail.
09-27-2018, 03:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Are we sure that this is the same issue like with the other MZ-series cameras? I find it puzzling that there are basically no reports on that with the MZ-S. Or is it just because few MZ-S were sold? Hope mine doesnt fail.
I feel it is due to the weather too. They return me the faulty part and it had melted. Here in the tropics the weather can be extreme.

I have also heard that other MZ/ZX series bodies also have the mirror motor gear issue.
09-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'd like to get an MZ-S one day, but they are a bit pricey and I tend to gravitate towards old and simple.
09-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I'd like to get an MZ-S one day, but they are a bit pricey and I tend to gravitate towards old and simple.
They are not all that complicated.
09-28-2018, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I feel it is due to the weather too. They return me the faulty part and it had melted. Here in the tropics the weather can be extreme.

I have also heard that other MZ/ZX series bodies also have the mirror motor gear issue.
Could you post a picture of the melted gear? Perhaps it is not the motor gear but one of the others in the train. Due to the low failure rate of the MZ-S cameras it has been thought that they came with the metal gear.
09-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Could you post a picture of the melted gear? Perhaps it is not the motor gear but one of the others in the train. Due to the low failure rate of the MZ-S cameras it has been thought that they came with the metal gear.
I am sorry but I not longer have that part. Threw it away 2 days after the camera came back.
09-29-2018, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
They are not all that complicated.
I'm sure I'd have no problems using it, it has to be simpler than my K-3, but using an SV is an entirely different experience!