Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olympia, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,844
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I know that, and that's why I am sending it immediately to Eric (probably with one or two of my lenses too) once it gets into my hands. But I am not sure how bad can a KEH "ugly" camera body get.
Make sure you hear from him before purchasing, or contact another tech - he (Eric) sometimes does not work LX models. It's become case by case due to electronics issues he is unable to remedy in some instances.

10-02-2018, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
butangmucat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 697
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Make sure you hear from him before purchasing, or contact another tech - he (Eric) sometimes does not work LX models. It's become case by case due to electronics issues he is unable to remedy in some instances.
I emailed him, and he would like to have it sent in November.
10-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Jellygeist's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Brandon, MB
Photos: Albums
Posts: 319
The LX is just modern enough, isn't it? It has features without drowning in them. I hope it gives you many years of reliable service!
10-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,887
I bought a LX from KEH in "bargain" condition a few years ago. It was a little dusty - easily remedied - and had some brassing, a few scratches on the base plate, other than that in nice cosmetic condition. It worked and continues to work perfectly. I'd call it used but not abused. I have another LX which has the sticky mirror syndrome; in auto mode the mirror rises but doesn't return unless the camera is taken off auto mode. This indicates a need for a CLA, which for the LX in common with other professional grade cameras, isn't cheap. Ah, well.... BTW, I also have a Nikon F3 HP with motor drive. I have winders on 2 of my 3 LXs. All in all I find the LX far more "user friendly" than the F3. Much lighter, too!

10-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
filmamigo's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 761
I've taken a chance on Ugly once -- it was a lens. Every other seller would have rated it "good - no caps".

BGN has always meant "lovely - looks like other cameras of the vintage that I owned and used" and Excellent was basically un-used.
10-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 638
The LX is a brilliant camera. I think every Pentaxian should experience one.

I sold mine and don't regret selling it, I loved it while I had it but for me, the MX is a better fit. The smaller footprint of the MX is appreciated.
10-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,887
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
The LX is a brilliant camera. I think every Pentaxian should experience one.

I sold mine and don't regret selling it, I loved it while I had it but for me, the MX is a better fit. The smaller footprint of the MX is appreciated.
I also have two MXs, one in basic black. With the winder and a fast 50mm they are a wonderful camera for street shooting I really like them, but each drains its meter cells rapidly, within a week or two. I've checked the tiny switch under the base plate with my DVOM and it seems to be operating properly. I left one with a supposedly highly regarded repair shop in the Atlanta area, told them of the problem and encouraged them to keep the camera for a few weeks to check whether their repair had worked. They did keep it and the repair didn't work. Have you encountered any problems with your MX? I guess it's time to send it and my LX with the sticky mirror off to Eric.
10-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olympia, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,844
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I also have two MXs, one in basic black. With the winder and a fast 50mm they are a wonderful camera for street shooting I really like them, but each drains its meter cells rapidly, within a week or two. I've checked the tiny switch under the base plate with my DVOM and it seems to be operating properly. I left one with a supposedly highly regarded repair shop in the Atlanta area, told them of the problem and encouraged them to keep the camera for a few weeks to check whether their repair had worked. They did keep it and the repair didn't work. Have you encountered any problems with your MX? I guess it's time to send it and my LX with the sticky mirror off to Eric.
Do I understand that *both* your MX bodies have a battery drain within a week or two? That sure is unusual - just one doing so would be odd but both is truly bizarre. Have you tried different brands/packages of batteries? I also have two MX bodies and a set of button cells generally last for over a year of normal use (I have many cameras but my MX see the most use by a nautical mile). Sounds as if there is some kind of short, but it baffles me if *both* of yours are behaving that way.

I adore my LX, but it isn't reliable due circuit board issues. I've nearly purchased another many, many time but have just never pulled the trigger since the electronics issues seem to be becoming more prevalent as the years tick by. A brilliant camera by every right (it really is in my top-3 favs to shoot with) but in 10 or 20 more years there'll be a lot fewer "on the road" I'd wager.

10-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 638
I have owned probably a half dozen MX's over the years, none of them have had battery drain issues.
10-31-2018, 07:25 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,887
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Do I understand that *both* your MX bodies have a battery drain within a week or two? That sure is unusual - just one doing so would be odd but both is truly bizarre. Have you tried different brands/packages of batteries? I also have two MX bodies and a set of button cells generally last for over a year of normal use (I have many cameras but my MX see the most use by a nautical mile). Sounds as if there is some kind of short, but it baffles me if *both* of yours are behaving that way.

I adore my LX, but it isn't reliable due circuit board issues. I've nearly purchased another many, many time but have just never pulled the trigger since the electronics issues seem to be becoming more prevalent as the years tick by. A brilliant camera by every right (it really is in my top-3 favs to shoot with) but in 10 or 20 more years there'll be a lot fewer "on the road" I'd wager.
Sadly both my MXs have the problem. One I bought used perhaps 30 years ago, it gave good service - the cells lasted a year +, until it began to eat cells about 10 years ago. As I mentioned above an Atlanta area shop gave no joy. The second, a beauty in black, eats cells in perhaps 6 weeks. Again, the little switch under the base plate seems OK on both.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
eric, finder, keh, lx
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions, questions, questions (PZ-1 and P3) dakight Pentax Film SLR Discussion 12 09-06-2014 06:23 AM
Any reason to consider an original Canon 5D when I have a K5? Codazzle Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 16 11-24-2012 10:57 PM
Help Me Consider Some Portrait Lenses Sperdynamite Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 10-27-2011 05:24 PM
Found some free goodies, have some questions XeroX Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 08-06-2010 07:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top