Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I know that, and that's why I am sending it immediately to Eric (probably with one or two of my lenses too) once it gets into my hands. But I am not sure how bad can a KEH "ugly" camera body get.
Make sure you hear from him before purchasing, or contact another tech - he (Eric) sometimes does not work LX models. It's become case by case due to electronics issues he is unable to remedy in some instances.

10-02-2018, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Make sure you hear from him before purchasing, or contact another tech - he (Eric) sometimes does not work LX models. It's become case by case due to electronics issues he is unable to remedy in some instances.
I emailed him, and he would like to have it sent in November.
10-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The LX is just modern enough, isn't it? It has features without drowning in them. I hope it gives you many years of reliable service!
10-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a LX from KEH in "bargain" condition a few years ago. It was a little dusty - easily remedied - and had some brassing, a few scratches on the base plate, other than that in nice cosmetic condition. It worked and continues to work perfectly. I'd call it used but not abused. I have another LX which has the sticky mirror syndrome; in auto mode the mirror rises but doesn't return unless the camera is taken off auto mode. This indicates a need for a CLA, which for the LX in common with other professional grade cameras, isn't cheap. Ah, well.... BTW, I also have a Nikon F3 HP with motor drive. I have winders on 2 of my 3 LXs. All in all I find the LX far more "user friendly" than the F3. Much lighter, too!

10-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I've taken a chance on Ugly once -- it was a lens. Every other seller would have rated it "good - no caps".

BGN has always meant "lovely - looks like other cameras of the vintage that I owned and used" and Excellent was basically un-used.
10-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The LX is a brilliant camera. I think every Pentaxian should experience one.

I sold mine and don't regret selling it, I loved it while I had it but for me, the MX is a better fit. The smaller footprint of the MX is appreciated.
10-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
The LX is a brilliant camera. I think every Pentaxian should experience one.

I sold mine and don't regret selling it, I loved it while I had it but for me, the MX is a better fit. The smaller footprint of the MX is appreciated.
I also have two MXs, one in basic black. With the winder and a fast 50mm they are a wonderful camera for street shooting I really like them, but each drains its meter cells rapidly, within a week or two. I've checked the tiny switch under the base plate with my DVOM and it seems to be operating properly. I left one with a supposedly highly regarded repair shop in the Atlanta area, told them of the problem and encouraged them to keep the camera for a few weeks to check whether their repair had worked. They did keep it and the repair didn't work. Have you encountered any problems with your MX? I guess it's time to send it and my LX with the sticky mirror off to Eric.

10-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I also have two MXs, one in basic black. With the winder and a fast 50mm they are a wonderful camera for street shooting I really like them, but each drains its meter cells rapidly, within a week or two. I've checked the tiny switch under the base plate with my DVOM and it seems to be operating properly. I left one with a supposedly highly regarded repair shop in the Atlanta area, told them of the problem and encouraged them to keep the camera for a few weeks to check whether their repair had worked. They did keep it and the repair didn't work. Have you encountered any problems with your MX? I guess it's time to send it and my LX with the sticky mirror off to Eric.
Do I understand that *both* your MX bodies have a battery drain within a week or two? That sure is unusual - just one doing so would be odd but both is truly bizarre. Have you tried different brands/packages of batteries? I also have two MX bodies and a set of button cells generally last for over a year of normal use (I have many cameras but my MX see the most use by a nautical mile). Sounds as if there is some kind of short, but it baffles me if *both* of yours are behaving that way.

I adore my LX, but it isn't reliable due circuit board issues. I've nearly purchased another many, many time but have just never pulled the trigger since the electronics issues seem to be becoming more prevalent as the years tick by. A brilliant camera by every right (it really is in my top-3 favs to shoot with) but in 10 or 20 more years there'll be a lot fewer "on the road" I'd wager.
10-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I have owned probably a half dozen MX's over the years, none of them have had battery drain issues.
10-31-2018, 07:25 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Do I understand that *both* your MX bodies have a battery drain within a week or two? That sure is unusual - just one doing so would be odd but both is truly bizarre. Have you tried different brands/packages of batteries? I also have two MX bodies and a set of button cells generally last for over a year of normal use (I have many cameras but my MX see the most use by a nautical mile). Sounds as if there is some kind of short, but it baffles me if *both* of yours are behaving that way.

I adore my LX, but it isn't reliable due circuit board issues. I've nearly purchased another many, many time but have just never pulled the trigger since the electronics issues seem to be becoming more prevalent as the years tick by. A brilliant camera by every right (it really is in my top-3 favs to shoot with) but in 10 or 20 more years there'll be a lot fewer "on the road" I'd wager.
Sadly both my MXs have the problem. One I bought used perhaps 30 years ago, it gave good service - the cells lasted a year +, until it began to eat cells about 10 years ago. As I mentioned above an Atlanta area shop gave no joy. The second, a beauty in black, eats cells in perhaps 6 weeks. Again, the little switch under the base plate seems OK on both.