Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #1

Strange Spotmatic problem

Hey, guys! I've searched the forum in hopes of finding someone that has the same problem with the Spotmatic as I do, but to no avail.

I purchased an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP about a month ago. The first film I used got stuck around the 25th shot, but I didn't think much of it. I didn't try to solve the issue and I just took the film out. Now, using the second film, exactly the same thing happened. I advanced the film, shot, and then the viewfinder got dark. And again, around the 25th shot mark (just a coincidence? no idea). So now the shutter button isn't blocked, but pressing it doesn't do anything. The advance lever is obviously stuck, and also I cannot see anything through the viewfinder as the mirror is stuck up.

The thing is, I tried the quick fix, and it didn't work. I took off the base plate and found out that the lever is already in the position it should be in, as you can see in this picture.
What is there to do? Ideally I would like to fix it without having to take the film out. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

10-14-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard.
I am of the opinion it is just a coincidence that it failed at the same spot unless your using 24 exposure rolls?
10-14-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Thank you! Hahahah, oh God, I feel really dumb right now. Both films I used are Agfa Vista 400 and I didn't even think to check, I just assumed they're 36 exposure rolls. They obviously don't, it's just 24. Thanks a lot for making me check.
10-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Better then sending it out to be fixed!
I learned early on that the first thing you do when you mess up was to look around to see if anyone saw it . . .

10-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vielverfilmt Quote
Thank you! Hahahah, oh God, I feel really dumb right now. Both films I used are Agfa Vista 400 and I didn't even think to check, I just assumed they're 36 exposure rolls. They obviously don't, it's just 24. Thanks a lot for making me check.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Yes, we have all been there and done that!

Steve
10-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bet if you try a third time the same thing would happen coincidence?
welcome to the forums!
10-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
thank you, guys!

hahahah, please stop bumping this thread

10-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard
10-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least you didn't yank the film off the spool...

Chris
10-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Yes, we have all been there and done that!

Steve
Most of us have done that and....worse!
10-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
At least you didn't yank the film off the spool...

Chris
...or fill the back of the camera with sprocket chards!

Steve
10-14-2018, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Most of us have done that and....worse!
The below photo is roughly 12 frames piled on top of each other, as I had thought I had a 36 exposure roll in my camera. (I didn't notice at first as it was a Soviet camera and the film advance had always been a bit rough.)

10-15-2018, 01:56 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
The below photo is roughly 12 frames piled on top of each other, as I had thought I had a 36 exposure roll in my camera. (I didn't notice at first as it was a Soviet camera and the film advance had always been a bit rough.)

I dunno...I sorta like the image! Brings to mind an early 20th century artist, but I can't think who.
10-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd never do something like that. Nope, never. On the other hand, I have been known to go out shooting with no card in my digital cameras...
10-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vielverfilmt Quote
Hey, guys! I've searched the forum in hopes of finding someone that has the same problem with the Spotmatic as I do, but to no avail.

I purchased an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP about a month ago. The first film I used got stuck around the 25th shot, but I didn't think much of it. I didn't try to solve the issue and I just took the film out. Now, using the second film, exactly the same thing happened. I advanced the film, shot, and then the viewfinder got dark. And again, around the 25th shot mark (just a coincidence? no idea). So now the shutter button isn't blocked, but pressing it doesn't do anything. The advance lever is obviously stuck, and also I cannot see anything through the viewfinder as the mirror is stuck up.

The thing is, I tried the quick fix, and it didn't work. I took off the base plate and found out that the lever is already in the position it should be in, as you can see in this picture.
What is there to do? Ideally I would like to fix it without having to take the film out. Thank you for taking the time to read this!
When I was re-learning to use my Mamiya C2 TLR (which I hadn't touched in ~30-years), I thought the 'locked' switch meant the light path was blocked, so I set it to 'unlocked'. Strangely, it produced two completely unexposed rolls. Then I RTFM...