Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any reason *not* to use Winder on my ME Super?

My Pentax ME Super came with a Winder ME II.

I prefer the handling of small SLRs with the small winders of the era, so I would like to use the Winder all the time.

However, I don't want to stress out the ME Super too much. These are old cameras now. With all old cameras, I am careful when manually winding, cocking shutters, etc. so as not to cause premature failure.

So the question is -- will the use of a winder on the ME Super put extra stress on the camera? Anyone have perspective on repairing these cameras? Did winder use shorten their lives, or are winders completely OK to use all the time?

10-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

My MX has had a winder on it since 1977! Granted, I havenít used it in anger since the early noughties - but it has performed well for a quarter of a century.
10-15-2018, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #3

My friend's parents used to own a camera repair shop up through the early 90s. They called the power winders camera killers because of all the repairs they did on units with winders vs units without winders.
10-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know if it will cause problems with the camera, but I've grown tired of the 'Whirr, click, clack, whirr' of the MEII winder on every body I've tried it on.

10-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't want lots of noises, wind the camera first and put the winder on while it is turned off. With most winders you have to remove the winder only after a full cycle. If the roll ends half way through a wind, finish the cycle after rewinding and before removing it from the body. The same goes for Nikon and Canon.
I find that the winder helps me use more film. Some people feel that the fast winding is harder on the mechanism, but I never had a problem with the motor on my Super Program or my MX.
I am sure I shot hundreds of rolls on both cameras.
10-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
My friend's parents used to own a camera repair shop up through the early 90s. They called the power winders camera killers because of all the repairs they did on units with winders vs units without winders.

Ugh. That's exactly what I feared.

I know I won't be blowing through hundreds of rolls on a winder, but who knows what kind of life my ME Super lived before me?
10-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What is not stated here is the relative amount of use these cameras were put to. If cameras with winders were, for example, 5x more
common in the repair shop than cameras without winders, how many more pictures did those winder-ed cameras take? I suspect
anyone with a winder is apt to shoot much more liberally than someone without. More shots taken, more wear on the camera, not
necessarily related to the winder itself. It is possible the winder is putting extra stress on the camera, but I suspect cameras with
winders inherently see more use, (more actuations), than cameras without.
10-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Whatever. My friend (who worked in their shop) said the surest way to kill a camera is to put a power winder/drive on it. Their conclusion was that the consumer level cameras weren't built to stand the stress from winders/drives. You think a drive that' capable of 3-4 frames per second isn't going to add more stress to the mechanics then maybe the 1 frame per second (wild guess) you could achieve by manually winding it?

10-16-2018, 12:51 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
However, I don't want to stress out the ME Super too much. These are old cameras now. With all old cameras, I am careful when manually winding, cocking shutters, etc. so as not to cause premature failure.
I own the ME Winder II and have not had any reservations using it with my Super Program. It works at 2fps, which moves the film no faster than most of us manually work the wind lever. From what I understand of the ME Super innards, the drive pawl on the bottom directly works the same mechanism as the lever on the top, meaning that the stress will be similar to manual wind minus torque on the drive shaft. (The actual winding/cocking happens at the bottom of the camera.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-16-2018 at 02:40 PM.
10-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no issues with using my Motordrive-A on my Super-A - it's a really smooth operation (much smoother than the MEII winder). I wouldn't leave it on all the time because I often prefer the smaller form factor of the body alone (with 8x AA batteries it's quite heavy). It shoots at 3fps in continuous high (much faster than the winders).
10-16-2018, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Itís expensive...

Whenever I shoot film with a camera with a winder, the film goes twice as fast because itís easy and a lot more like the DSLRs...

My local lab loves this...

-Eric
10-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I own the ME Winder II and have not had any reservations using it with my Super Program. It works at 2fps, which moves the film no faster than most of us manually work the wind lever. From what I understand of the ME Super innards, the drive pawl on the bottom directly works the same mechanism as the lever on the top, meaning that the stress will be similar to manual wind minus torque on the drive shaft. (The actual winding/cocking happens at the bottom of the camera.)

Steve
Thanks Steve, good to know.