Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2018, 07:39 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Found a roll of film, so I bought a camera!

A couple weeks ago, I was digging through one of the drawers in the kitchen (everyone has a drawer like this), and found a roll of film. Fujicolor superia x-tra 400. I was trying to think back to when my wife would have had a film camera, and I'm thinking it is at least 18 years ago. My wife had the point and shoot style, so that's probably why we had it. I only had those cheap disposable cameras for mountain bike trips.

So I started reading through all these different threads about "which SLR should I get"...then started browsing auctions...and after reading all that good technical information and taking notes from those making suggestions, I went with the one with the red strap. . To be honest, it just looked cool, and $18 wasn't to bad of a price.

ME Super with a winder and a nice red strap (no lens). It seems to be in decent shape. No torque marks on any of the screws, the battery compartment is shiny and clean. A chunk of the light seal did come flying out when I used the rocket blower (now I know what those are). I already found a complete set of seals for the camera, and will be ordering those later.

I just wanted to share a little about my first SLR film camera. Hopefully, I'll be able to share some pictures later on.

10-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was a steal for $18! Enjoy the camera and I hope to see some shots from it.
10-18-2018, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Any reason to shoot film is a good reason . . .

Good luck and share your results!
10-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

May I ask where you ordered the seal replacements? I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right places or what but I can't find them. I bought the ME about a year ago at Goodwill for about $20. Aren't bargains amazing?!

10-18-2018, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ikandree Quote
May I ask where you ordered the seal replacements? I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right places or what but I can't find them. I bought the ME about a year ago at Goodwill for about $20. Aren't bargains amazing?!
I found a link in another thread, after a lot of reading. I also did a Google search for "Pentax light seal kit". The USCamera came up in that search, so I took a chance.

Ordered from here:

Pentax ME ME Super MG Plus Custom Light Seal Kit - USCameraUSCamera

Thanks

---------- Post added 10-18-18 at 11:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
That was a steal for $18! Enjoy the camera and I hope to see some shots from it.
Still needs a little TLC, but I couldn't believe the price. I don't think I will use the winder, but I might use it for dimensions to make a grip.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Any reason to shoot film is a good reason . . .

Good luck and share your results!
I'm certainly going to give it a try.

Thanks
10-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The USCamera kits work just fine. They use to come with enough seals to do two cameras, but I’m not sure if they do now.
10-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

Wow this is a hell of a deal

10-18-2018, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ikandree Quote
May I ask where you ordered the seal replacements?
Jon Goodman has the best kits with the best instructions and the price is quite reasonable too (~$10 including shipping). He works from e-mail only: JGood21967@aol.com and is truly one of the best people to do business with on the Web.

Steve

(...yes, I did write "best" three times...)
10-18-2018, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Very nice. That's almost addiction already, to find an old roll and buy a camera to try it. I love the strap.
10-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

That's a nice looking ME Super but I wouldn't expect great results from a roll of film from 18 years ago that's been stored at room temperature. Treat it as ISO 100 and be prepared for some colour shifts.
10-19-2018, 02:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That's a nice looking ME Super but I wouldn't expect great results from a roll of film from 18 years ago that's been stored at room temperature. Treat it as ISO 100 and be prepared for some colour shifts.
Good tip, thank you!
10-19-2018, 02:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That reminds of something : I was watching a review of the new Ektachrome and one of the comments was "why would anyone use film that looks like a digital image? I thought the whole point of using film was to get a different look". There will be a different look with this film
10-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the fact that nobody ever removed the JCII sticker
10-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Two stops is hardly noticeable and probably recommended even if this film is new to help tame it's grain structure like it does for other higher speed films like Superia or Natura.

Kodak Ektar 125 left in hot Atlanta driveway, expire 4/1992 shot and processed 9/2010. Shot at ISO32.

Kodak Gold 25 refrigerated, develop by 01/2000 shot and processed 4/2018. No loss of speed.

10-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #15

Thanks! The price was FABULOUS and it should be here in a couple of days!

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I found a
link in another thread, after a lot of reading. I also did a Google search for "Pentax light seal kit". The USCamera came up in that search, so I took a chance.

Ordered from here:

Pentax ME ME Super MG Plus Custom Light Seal Kit - USCameraUSCamera

Thanks

---------- Post added 10-18-18 at 11:16 PM ----------

Still needs a little TLC, but I couldn't believe the price. I don't think I will use the winder, but I might use it for dimensions to make a grip.

I'm certainly going to give it a try.

Thanks