Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Flash connector identification help

Some background:

I recently acquired yet another Contax. Upon closer inspection of it, I noticed a few things off and am not certain whether it's a re-engraved Kiev or not. (If it is, it's either based off of a very early Kiev, or it was modified with a number of authentic Zeiss parts.)

Regardless of what it is, there's one part of it that isn't original to either a Contax or Kiev: a modification by a previous owner to add flash sync. It's fairly nicely done, but I'm just not certain what type of flash connector it's using.

So, for the forum's experts: any ideas what this is? I've found an illustration circa 1955 of various connectors, but the lack of any scale on it makes determination difficult.

(Apologies for the photo quality.)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ONEPLUS A3000  Photo 

Last edited by g026r; 10-20-2018 at 11:34 AM.
10-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Sockets for a 2.5 or 3.5 mm miniature jack plug ?
10-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe.

My initial guess is 2 prong ASA, but I'm more used to the sockets for that being on the cable with the prongs on the body.

Last edited by g026r; 10-20-2018 at 12:43 PM.
10-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #4

Take your pick - Graflex Solenoid, Praktica. Nikon S or Kalert, COC, Proco Case or ??? :
Do You Know Your Flash Connectors?

10-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Take your pick - Graflex Solenoid, Praktica. Nikon S or Kalert, COC, Proco Case or ??? :
Do You Know Your Flash Connectors?
That's the link in my post. Scale is my issue here, as I know the sizes of some of them but not the others — and size isn't obvious from the photos.
10-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which model Contax is this? The II and III did not have flash sync. Kiev models with sync have standard PC fittings on the camera front below the viewfinder. Black dial IIa/IIIa have a proprietary adapter having the actual connector while color dial versions are PC. In both cases, the fitting is on the back near the top.

Note: Those connectors look similar to those on the front of my 1952 Exakta Varex. Both connectors are used.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-21-2018 at 09:33 PM.
10-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Which model Contax is this? The II and III did not have flash sync. Kiev models with sync have standard PC fittings on the camera front below the viewfinder. Black dial IIa/IIIa have a proprietary adapter having the actual connector while color dial versions are PC. In both cases, the fitting is on the back near the top.
It's the II. (Or a '50s Kiev 2. Still puzzling that bit over.) They were definitely added by a previous owner as an aftermarket addition. It wouldn't be the first II with that done to it, but I've generally seen them placed somewhere on the front of the camera and with more readily identifiable connectors.

QuoteQuote:
Note: Those connectors look similar to those on the front of my 1952 Exakta Varex. Both connectors are used.
That's the one two-pronged connector that I'm sure they're not. I've got connectors on my '51 or '52 Exa that are probably similar to your Varex, and the spacing on the Exakta connectors is just too wide to fit.

In the end, I suppose this is all academic. Even if I were to figure out which connectors they are, I've got no idea what type of flash — though I'm going to assume a bulb of some sort — it was intended for.

10-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote

In the end, I suppose this is all academic. Even if I were to figure out which connectors they are, I've got no idea what type of flash — though I'm going to assume a bulb of some sort — it was intended for.
If you can get it to fire, and you probably can, since I can't imagine they required power at that end... there's probably a shutter speed slow enough for it to work... could be cool...

-Eric