Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
How to do multi-exposures with Pentax MZ-6 / MZ-L / ZX-L ?

Years ago, I did some multi-exposures and liked the results. I used an interesting little camera called Sigma SA7n. It had excellent control layout and could do up to 9(!) multi-exposures. Unfortunately, I sold it with all my Sigma gear.

Now I'd like to try multi-exposure again with my Pentax lenses. I'm thinking of getting an MZ-6 / MZ-L / ZX-L, because it allows to set aperture in camera, as most of my lenses don't have aperture rings. I checked the manual, and it looks like the camera can do only double exposure by default. More than two exposures seem possible too, but the manual is really confusing about that (see screenshot).

Can anyone explain how to do more than two multi-exposures?

Attached Images

10-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on the manual, it looks like you just need to repeat step 1.2 after taking the first shot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
What about the exposure compensation? To compensate properly, the camera must know how many shots I want to take before the first shot is taken.

Does anybody here have practical experience taking more than two multi-exposures?
10-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alex-virt Quote
What about the exposure compensation? To compensate properly, the camera must know how many shots I want to take before the first shot is taken.

Does anybody here have practical experience taking more than two multi-exposures?
Does it even do that? I thought that part was up to the photographer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Does it even do that? I thought that part was up to the photographer.
The Sigma did. I think the MZ-6 should do it at least for double exposures.
10-25-2018, 05:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean bracketing, which is exposing different frames with different parameters, and not multi exposure, where you expose the same frame multiple times to overlap images? Maybe between the sigma and the Pentax they're using different terms. In any case, the Zx-l has bracketing, it's accessed from the same button (image shows three partly overlapping rectangles)
10-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did mean multiple exposure, not bracketing.

10-25-2018, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

As for figuring out proper exposure when shooting multiples, there were a couple of sound approaches.

If you are layering a regularly toned scene over top another (especially if the camera is tripod mounted and you're photographing the same thing, except the stuff that moves between frames) you have to reduce each exposure the right amount so you don't overexpose things.

It's easy enough to figure out that two exposures should each be one stop under - but how do you figure out five multi exposures, or seven, or nine? Well, one simple way for film photographers was to boost the ISO setting manually. If you are using ISO 100 film, then for five exposures, override the ISO to 500 (one click past 400). For seven exposures ISO 700 would be ideal (so ISO 640 is closest).

The trick is to remember to set it back properly when you're done. Cameras without DX override need not apply - but then they usually didn't have a multi-exposure mode either.

Now, if your multi exposures are made up of separate parts layered onto a darkish background, then don't make any adjustment to the exposure or ISO. For instance, adding a long tele shot of the moon onto a regular twilight/night sky scene doesn't require you to underexpose the regular scene or the moon - they just add to each other. I know, a cheesy example - but I did such stuff when I was younger.
10-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Ontarian50! The Sigma camera I mentioned above did these calculations automatically. I could buy it again, but sadly, I don't have Sigma lenses anymore and don't want to use it with a crappy kit zoom.

In my experience, the best results were from double or triple exposures. Four and above were mess.