Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Life has gotten too busy, give up film photography or store it for a VERY long time?

I have a K1000 an MX with several good M and A lenses a Pentax digital spotmeter and essentially a whole boxed up darkroom with a fairly thoroughly accessorized Beseler 23c II enlarger so I am pretty well equipped to do film photography.
I also have 2 little kids now and zero time so nothing is set up and I never take pictures anymore. I know people will say take pictures of the kids but it doesn't work out that way.
So I am ending up with expired expensive film and chemicals and I am basically about to just say screw it and sell the whole lot. The alternative would be to sit on it for a ridiculously long time until the kids are old enough where I get more time to myself though other house and car repair duties tend to eat that up when I have it now.
Even when I was shooting more pictures I was either wasting film to finish a roll on boring crap, or I would have the same roll in the camera for weeks or even months sometimes. Despite really liking it maybe film just isn't compatible with my shooting style or my life. If I sell it all I would only get a fraction of what I have in it I am sure. I keep going back and forth without coming to a decision.

I still have my digital stuff that I rarely use either, if for some reason I decide to take pictures and nothing there to expire plus I can have 3 shots a day and see them right away.
I am actually considering a K-1 if I sell the film stuff because apsc stands for 'A Piece of Shrunken Crap' to me since I shot FF film for so long. Maybe that would inspire me to shoot more again, though I feel like the K-1 isn't quite the camera it should be yet. Maybe the model they announce next year. But then I digress and this is a film forum.

P.S.- Apologies to all the APSC fans, it just doesn't work for me at all.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 10-28-2018 at 08:42 AM.
10-27-2018, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mothball the equipment. Sell the film and chemistry. You are also selling APSC very short.
10-27-2018, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
well how about, put a standard lens on the mx, keep putting film in it, take it everywhere you go and snap away, store the latent images in the fridge until you are ready.
10-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you dont want the film cameras, chemistry, & darkroom gear, you can sell that off to invest in a K-1 but keep the lenses you like/use fhe most as you can always use them on the K-1

10-28-2018, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I am actually considering a K-1 if I sell the film stuff because apsc stands for 'A Piece of Shrunken Crap' to me since I shot FF film for so long.

Um. . . you do realise that 35mm film is a miniature format, and that many people would consider anything smaller than 120 to be a piece of shrunken crap too?
10-28-2018, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also think you are selling apps-c short, and the K-1 is quite amazing.

When I finally went digital I was raising two young boys and a teenage girl by myself. It didn’t leave much time for my film and darkroom. Eventually I mothballed my film gear and put my film, 2 bulk rolls and about 100 factory rolls of film in the back of the fridge. I’ve been shooting film daily now for the past year. The expired film from the fridge is fine, although a lot of my chemicals did go bad.
10-28-2018, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Life has gotten too busy
...and that's not good. We should slow down and get back to the more natural and naturalistic way of life.

10-28-2018, 02:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
We should slow down and get back to the more natural and naturalistic way of life.
absolutely, yes i believe this also.
10-28-2018, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Sounds like you're adamant you don't have the time anymore, everybody's situations are different, but I've just come back to film after a few years of very trying times. I could understand not having the time for darkroom practice being a reason so sell the darkroom gear (assuming it will fetch a suitable price - it is often given away in the UK as there's little demand for it). If the darkroom part was a big part of your process, I could see how you may not get on well with lab development & printing, but might it still be possible?

I've just returned to film as 3yrs of very trying times has suddenly become a lot worse. Film gives me the space (excuse?) to get away from the chaos and non-stop busy-ness, get outside, go for a walk and chill for a few minutes. Due to being so busy, I started to sacrifice all of my 'me time' - resulting in a poor diet, no exercise, no daylight, no opportunity to relax, no fun and little to look forward to. I was about to sell up, had my LX repaired to attract a decent price but when it came back immaculate it obviously needed testing and that brought me back to film. I haven't used my K-5 for years, instead I'm shooting my film backlog (some of which is ten years old).

I'd suggest keeping the cameras, lenses & film and trying to get out-and-about even for a few minutes and using lab development services - it's a treat for me every time the envelope drops through the door.

John.
10-28-2018, 05:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually my gripe with apsc isn't a quality issue or because FF is magically better, its the fact that every lens I own is configured for FF and one of my favorite things is capturing a whole scene in one nicely rectilinear shot.
I could rebuy my lenses for apsc like the 16-50, but I would much rather stick with FF and get the 15-30 instead to go even wider yet. I also hated using digital apsc the second i switched over from film since I was used to looking through the bright bay window of a viewfinder on an MX and Super Program and the crop bodies felt like looking though binoculars backwards.
But thats kinda a side topic, its really just one of the motivations for doubling down and getting a K-1 rather than quitting as was suggested above (something I seriously considered). Since I think being able to use my digital like I do my film cameras would definitely generate more interest for me.
And yes a 645Z would be better but they cost several times as much.

The main reason I am thinking to dump the stuff rather than store it is the film has largely stuck around for the format issue (though the hands on manual film work is fun) and so I think I would use it even less if I went digital FF.
Just to give you an idea of how things are going my film stuff hasn't been unboxed in I believe 3 years now. I'm glad I took the batteries out of everything. My digital comes out when I have time but I don't make a day of it like I used to.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 10-28-2018 at 05:58 AM.
10-28-2018, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

And yes a 645Z would be better but they cost several times as much.
I managed to find a used mid-milage 645D with a good warranty for not much more than new K-1ii money (I already had some P6x7 lenses and an adapter which helped a bit - but used manual focus 645 glass isn't too expensive).

Last edited by johnha; 10-28-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Replaced K-1 with K-1ii
10-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given the new info, I'd say get the k-1, sell off what you can.
10-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am actually considering a K-1 if I sell the film stuff because apsc stands for 'A Piece of Shrunken Crap' to me since I shot FF film for so long.
Wow ! With that and all your other problems I would put everything in the Goodwill Bin and take up Dog Walking.
10-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Wow ! With that and all your other problems I would put everything in the Goodwill Bin and take up Dog Walking.
Replace "shrunken crap" with fresh crap?
10-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I love shooting film but like you I’ve found it’s work flow doesn’t fit with my current life flow. I have no room for a darkroom in my house, and no time to really use it if I had the space, with trying to raise and spend time with my two kids and my wife, working full time, taking care of the house, etc.

What digital kit do you have? Maybe sell that for or towards full-frame body that will work with your M and A lenses, either a Sony A7 or a Pentax K1. Or compare your aps-c files to your film shots and realize you’re actually probably ahead quality wise with the little sensor if you have comparably good lenses for it... I did.