Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Worth of Getting FA-1W or FC-1 Finder for LX?

Hello,

I currently have a LX with the stock FA-1 finder. However I wear glasses and my eye condition prevents me from either not using glasses, surgical correction, or contact lenses. I current found that I cannot fully see the image in the FA-1 and I have to move my eye around. I wonder whether FA-1W or FC-1 will be better? Inputs are appreciated since they are fairly expensive.

Sincerely

11-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find out from your optician what diopter correction you need then if it matches the FA-1W go for it, if not then the FC1
11-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Find out from your optician what diopter correction you need then if it matches the FA-1W go for it, if not then the FC1
I have a -6.5D near sight and a 2.75D astigmatism for my right eye (which is my eye that I use for photography), and my doctor says that my glasses are not full-correction. I basically have to wear glasses, and optionally use the diopter correction of the viewfinder. I would like to know mostly whether FA-1W or FC-1 will be more friendly to wearing glasses?

Sincerely
11-15-2018, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both. I need neither. I use the FB-1 / FC-1 combo for fast shooting situations with a motor or winder. I look into it rather than through it - more like looking into a window than through a viewfinder. I use significant eye relief (distance) when using it except when viewing information in the frame margin.

11-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have both. I need neither. I use the FB-1 / FC-1 combo for fast shooting situations with a motor or winder. I look into it rather than through it - more like looking into a window than through a viewfinder. I use significant eye relief (distance) when using it except when viewing information in the frame margin.
How does FC-1 makes your experience with motor drive better? I plan to get a Winder LX but is still waiting for a good deal.

Sincerely
11-15-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I have a -6.5D near sight and a 2.75D astigmatism for my right eye (which is my eye that I use for photography), and my doctor says that my glasses are not full-correction. I basically have to wear glasses, and optionally use the diopter correction of the viewfinder. I would like to know mostly whether FA-1W or FC-1 will be more friendly to wearing glasses?

Sincerely
In that case the FC-1 is the way to go, you can look through the viewfinder more like a mirrorless camera with your eye away from the viewfinder, I wear glasses and still find the FA-1 easy enough to use, if your glasses are corrected already the wider diopter range of the FA-1W should not be needed

Good Luck
11-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
In that case the FC-1 is the way to go, you can look through the viewfinder more like a mirrorless camera with your eye away from the viewfinder, I wear glasses and still find the FA-1 easy enough to use, if your glasses are corrected already the wider diopter range of the FA-1W should not be needed

Good Luck
IIRC I've read in the review that FA-1W has a smaller magnification. Is that a significant difference from the FA-1? FC-1 is quite pricy and I'm losing the hot shoe...

11-15-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IIRC I've read in the review that FA-1W has a smaller magnification. Is that a significant difference from the FA-1? FC-1 is quite pricy and I'm losing the hot shoe...
From this link, it looks like the FA-1W retains the hotshoe: Pentax LX - Full Info on Its Interchangeable Viewfinders (it's the FA-2 which doesn't).

As mentioned, if your glasses are already corrected, the extra diopter adjustment shouldn't be needed, apart from more adjustment this seems to be the same as the FA-1. The FB-1/FC-1 combination has much reduced magnification, giving much greater eye-relief but it is a much smaller image. The FB-1/FD-1 doesn't have sufficient diopter adjustment and has limited eye-relief, but has around 1.0x magnification.

Another option might be a M series diopter frame with a prescription lens installed.
11-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
From this link, it looks like the FA-1W retains the hotshoe: Pentax LX - Full Info on Its Interchangeable Viewfinders (it's the FA-2 which doesn't).

As mentioned, if your glasses are already corrected, the extra diopter adjustment shouldn't be needed, apart from more adjustment this seems to be the same as the FA-1. The FB-1/FC-1 combination has much reduced magnification, giving much greater eye-relief but it is a much smaller image. The FB-1/FD-1 doesn't have sufficient diopter adjustment and has limited eye-relief, but has around 1.0x magnification.

Another option might be a M series diopter frame with a prescription lens installed.
I'm also losing the hotshoe with FB-1/FC-1 combo.

Pentax FA-1W Eye-Level Finder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database says that FA-1W has a reduced magnification compared to FA-1, but I did not find any spec to back this up.
11-15-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How does FC-1 makes your experience with motor drive better? I plan to get a Winder LX but is still waiting for a good deal.

Sincerely
It’s easier to keep a moving subject in the view while pulling focus. I don’t put my eye against the viewfinder. I look into it from a fraction away.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-15-2018 at 04:05 PM.
11-15-2018, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FB-1/FC-1 combo is excellent. It's one of the few things I miss since I sold my LX.
Seems like it would be a natural for eyeglass wearers.

I had the Winder LX but never used it. I guess I really wanted the rare motor drive.

Chris
11-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FB-1/FC-1 combo is excellent. It's one of the few things I miss since I sold my LX.
Seems like it would be a natural for eyeglass wearers.

I had the Winder LX but never used it. I guess I really wanted the rare motor drive.

Chris
How do you deal with the loss of the hot shoe?

Sincerely
11-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was not an issue for me as I seldom use flash, particularly with SLRs.
I occasionally use it with non-SLR cameras; they are far "friendlier" especially for fill flash.

Chris
11-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sincerely
1. Change the viewfinder to the FA-1 or FA-1W when you need a hotshoe.
2. Use the flash bracket, battery attachment and the AF400T Flash and 4P cord to Sync Socket with the Action Finder.

Your ocular correction needs might make one choice sub-optimal and the other expensive.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-15-2018 at 05:45 PM.
11-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The FB-1 & FD-2 may be more suitable due to it's 0.84 magnification which is slightly less magnification then the KX with 0.88. However, it does not have a built-in adjustable diopter. It is at a 45° angle that takes a little getting used to.