Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #1

Shutter Speed not changing? Need help troubleshooting Pentax K1000

Hello all-- I am new to the forum, but have used old threads in the past with camera maintenance/mechanics!

I recently was able to get a K1000 at an antique mall and used an old for-parts H3V to replace the K1000 fungus-prism. The next issue I am working on is the shutter speed--it appears that the speed is stuck at either 1/60 or 1/30. Physically changing shutter speeds does not actually change the shutter speed. Bulb mode does work, however. Occasionally, the mirror return will get stuck and I force it to return from the bottom mirror lever. When I scroll through shutter speeds slowly, I can sometimes hear the timing gear whirring as is turn the shutter speed knob. When this happens, either the shutter will run at the stuck shutter speed or lock up.

Hopefully we can troubleshoot this together--I am planning to make this camera a Christmas gift (especially since my friend was eyeballing this camera at the antique mall, but passed on the price!!)

11-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #2

Download service manuals from here:
Pentax Manuals
11-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Download service manuals from here:
Pentax Manuals
Thanks! I've been reading through this the past hour--sorting through the black and white images are a bit tough! One thought I had (see fig 113 in service manual) is there is some de-coupling of pallet cam from the rest of the speed system. I think this because 1/60 shutter speed is defined as "full aperture, no retard", which I interpret at the pallet cam does not engage any additional levers. If something is decoupled, then it makes sense to be stuck at 1/60. I pulled my Pentax H1a and did a relative shutter speed test and it looks like the K1000 is indeed at 1/60 speed. Still investigating the source of the problem, though.
11-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Opened up the camera

So I've opened up the camera and have observed, indeed, that I only get full aperture speeds. I do see the cams that adjust the timing of the open curtain for slit speeds (1/1000 to 1/125) adjust as do the cams for slow speeds (1/30 to 1). However, I do not see the result of adjusted speed. Currently i am focusing on getting slit speeds back. As I understand it, the cam for slit speeds adjusts how far the opening curtain travels before the closing curtain will travel. I guess since the cams adjustment is working, then there is some disconnect between the adjustment and the opening curtain.

12-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
I found a piece of plastic that had been jamming the speed pallet. I have removed this. I am not sure if I have now messed something else up, as now the film advance lever gets stuck. I can sometimes get it to release by pushing wind transport gears, but its rare. I cannot fully identify why the advance is getting stuck
12-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
Here is where Im at:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
12-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
I figured out what happened--the mirror cage was not fully seated, so it would not hit the curtain close latch. I reseated the mirror and the shutter closes.

Currently 1 and 2 seconds work fine. 4, 8 do not work. I think fast speeds are all at 60. not sure whats happening here.

05-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
Failed

I was never able to get everything to work properly--bummer conclusion. Speeds below 60 worked, but faster were a no-go.