Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2018, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pocket multi-tool

I know a good multi-tool can be indispensable in your fishing tackle box.

Do any of you film photographers carry a multi-tool in your camera bag?
If so what do you use it for? Which tools are most often used?

Chris

12-02-2018, 06:44 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I dont carry a multitool, but my tripod key has a handy bottle opener.
12-02-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a Buck Knives' BuckLite multi-tool is my bag at all times - screwdriver, semi-needle nose pliers, etc....

all kinds of uses in one small package...
12-02-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I always have a largish Swiss Army knife (which includes pliers, corkscrew, bottle opened, can opener, tweezers, pen, toothpick, tiny screwdriver, magnifying glass, etc.) but that's a general tool for hiking & life rather than specific to photography.

The tools that do go in the bag include:
1) Lenspen (brush on one end, microfiber wiper disk on the other end)
2) A Czech 5 Koruna coin that makes a perfect tripod screw driver
3) A thin, long strip of rug no-skid mesh that helps grip stuck filters

12-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On occasion I've had to trim a 35mm leader, especially with film I have bulk-loaded.
The tiny Leatherman Micra appears to have good scissors but at the loss of pliers.

Chris
12-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't carry a multi-tool in my bag and I have never needed one. I have a pair of plastic filter removal thingys that I needed last year. It was only used once.

That said, I do need a tool on rare occasions. The rubbers on the legs of my trusty old Gitzo tripod are long gone. Sometimes the lock screws gets so tight that I need a pair of pliers to undo them. But I don't carry one with me. The pliers on a multi-tool would be too small anyway.
12-02-2018, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I always have a largish Swiss Army knife (which includes pliers, corkscrew, bottle opened, can opener, tweezers, pen, toothpick, tiny screwdriver, magnifying glass, etc.) but that's a general tool for hiking & life rather than specific to photography.

The tools that do go in the bag include:
1) Lenspen (brush on one end, microfiber wiper disk on the other end)
2) A Czech 5 Koruna coin that makes a perfect tripod screw driver
3) A thin, long strip of rug no-skid mesh that helps grip stuck filters
Ditto on the Victorinox. I have a "Swiss Champ" that I take with me if I'm going away for a few days, but it's a bit of a lump. Fine for the coat pocket or backpack, though. But my EDC (every day carry) is the humble "Spartan" with the addition of the mini screwdriver accessory that threads into the corkscrew.

That said, I don't think I've ever used it for photography-related activities, except for cutting open the heat-sealed blister packing on a new SDHC card. But it gets used for all sorts of things on an almost daily basis. Did I mention it has a corkscrew?

The only "tools" I take with me for photography are a rocket blower, two or three individually-packed Zeiss wet lens wipes, a small dry lens cloth, larger microfibre cloth and a small make-up brush for brushing away debris. If I'm going away for a few days, I generally take the O-ICK1 gel stick or Eyelead equivalent. And if I have my Giottos tripod with me, I take the little tool kit that came with it, though I've never actually needed it.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-02-2018 at 09:54 AM.
12-02-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't beat a good ol' Leatherman (or a new one!). I'm still carrying one that I received as a graduation present over 25 years ago. Other than a couple of photography-specific tools, it has been all I've really needed.

Last edited by K(s)evin; 12-02-2018 at 10:24 AM.
12-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The only tool I have ever needed in the field is a hex key to tighten the tripod's leg pivot (prone to loosen).

Steve
12-02-2018, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I always carry a basic Swiss-Army knife (Victorinox from Delemont) and use it almost every day (the corkscrew again) but not photographically. The 3mm flat blade screwdriver has been used a few times to tweak the Allan headed bolt for my tripod. My most used 'tool' is a UK 5p piece to replace the LR44 batteries in my film cameras.
12-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
My most used 'tool' is a UK 5p piece to replace the LR44 batteries in my film cameras.
Ha ha Yes, I agree... They're almost useless for anything else, in my experience. Self-service payment machines at my local supermarkets seem incapable of processing them (though there's one parking machine that does), but they are indeed just the right size for battery compartments
12-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Leatherman is always on a belt loop unless I am going through airport security.
12-02-2018, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I know a good multi-tool can be indispensable in your fishing tackle box.

Do any of you film photographers carry a multi-tool in your camera bag?
If so what do you use it for? Which tools are most often used?

Chris
Not in my camera bag, but always in my pocket is a Leatherman Wave. And I use it often for all manner of things.
12-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like to carry a leatherman type tool but one must always remember that these things are not popular with airport security and not have it in carry-on luggage or in the pocket when travelling.
12-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I like to carry a leatherman type tool but one must always remember that these things are not popular with airport security and not have it in carry-on luggage or in the pocket when travelling.
LOL! So true! I once discovered I had my big Swiss Army knife in my pocket while I was on the way to catch the bus to the airport. There was no time to go home and I never check bags.

So I buried the knife in the dirt in a planter near the bus station and dug it up when I returned.

(I also inadvertently travelled on at least 6 trips after 9/11 with a very tiny Swiss Army knife that I forgot was in my laptop bag. TSA never noticed it and it was not found by security until a return flight from Hong Kong.)