Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

Problems with Me Super

Hi everyone,

(First of all, let me apologize for the bad english...)

I recently acquired a Pentax Me Super as I wanted to learn about film photography. I shot my first roll as a test to see if the camera works. Having sent the roll to develop to a laboratory, I just received the results and there appears to be some problems... I hope you guys could help me identify the problems.

- the main problem is that most of the pictures are under-exposed (20 of 24), eventhough the conditions of shooting were not particularly difficult : they are mainly outdoor pictures, shot with a 200 ISO roll. Of course I had set the camera on 200 ISO, no exposure compensation was set, and I used the semi-automatic mode to shoot. I saw the little green light in the viewfinder display, I trusted the camera automation and just shot ! Now, did I do something wrong ? Could it be that the light-meter on the camera doesn't work properly or is it something else ?

- secondly, 3 of the pictures have a blueish white stain on their lower part. Those three pictures were not shot on the same day and are "randomly" distributed on the roll. While always near the lower right corner, the stains are not exactly in the same place, nor do they have the same "intensity". I believe those are due to the probably poor state of the light seal foam, am I right on this ? But if so, wouldn't the stain appear in all the pictures ? I should say that the stains also appear on the negatives (including on the film perforations) and have the same shape.
The attached photos show the stains (and the under-exposure...). Sorry for the bad quality, I don't have a scanner and could only take a picture of the picture...

Thank you very much for your help !

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ALE-L21  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ALE-L21  Photo 
12-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, your English is excellent! Second, welcome aboard. Finally, it looks like you have an intermittent light leak with the camera.
12-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you replaced the light seals? If not, I would start with that. You can either buy a kit or make it yourself with materials from a craft store.
12-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What film did you use? Could it be expired?

12-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with bad seals for the light leak...

For the exposure, I have a couple of guesses...
1-expired/bad film. Could also be bad processing, but I haven’t seen that in a while...
2-wrong meter. Double check that the exposure compensation is really off and the film speed is really set right, then compare outside with a modern camera and ‘sunny 16’
3-stuck aperture thing (or broken lens coupling). This is the thing just inside the camera mount that follows a tab on the lens and tells the camera what the lens aperture is set to, not the one that stops down the lens when you take a picture. If this isn’t working (or the lens is broken), the meter may be fine but think you’re shooting wide open when you aren’t. If the camera doesn’t underexpose with the lens wide open, this could be the problem.
4- Bad shutter. My ME-F sometimes loses its mind when the batteries are low, shooting at a different speed from what it says. This can also happen if there’s a serious shutter issue.

Happily, nearly every problem like this can be diagnosed without film in the camera...

I hope that helps...

-Eric
12-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
Wow, thank you all for your help !

Well, that's what I thought about the light leak... If it's just the light seals, it shouldn't be so difficult nor expensive to find a professional to do it, I don't really trust myself to do it.

About the exposure problem, the film was not expired, I had bought it in a store just a fews days before.

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
3-stuck aperture thing (or broken lens coupling). This is the thing just inside the camera mount that follows a tab on the lens and tells the camera what the lens aperture is set to, not the one that stops down the lens when you take a picture. If this isn’t working (or the lens is broken), the meter may be fine but think you’re shooting wide open when you aren’t. If the camera doesn’t underexpose with the lens wide open, this could be the problem.
I'm not sure I understand, but if that was the case, the camera wouldn't set a different speed if I stopped down the aperture, would it ? If I change the aperture on my lens, the camera changes the speed so I'm assuming the contacts between the camera and the lens work.

I did the test of comparing the measuring with my Pentax K5ii, same ISO and no exposure compensation, same apertures :
- inside, they give the same results, so the meter seems fine... (now that I think about it, the few pictures that were good were portraits shot inside)
- while shooting the roll, I remember I always had to stop down the aperture to f/11 or f/16 in order to not have the little "over-exposed" lights flashing in my viewfinder display, and thought "Next time I'll buy a 100 ISO roll !", ahah !
So now I did the test you suggested me outside : the Me Super always gives a faster shutter speed than the K5ii. For example : I randomly set the ISO at 400 with an aperture of f/4, the K5ii gives me the speed of 1/160s and the Me Super of 1/500s. With an aperture of f/8, the K5ii calculates a speed of 1/30s and the Me Super of 1/125s.

So should I deduce that it's a light-meter problem ? Is that an easy fix ?

Once again, thank you very much !
12-14-2018, 03:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That sounds like the meter...

If you are going to be having someone else do the light seals, they would probably be included in a 'standard repair', which is what the meter would likely be (unless there are parts involved, which is possible)
If you have a local service person, they can give an estimate for the repair, which will help you decide if it's reasonable to fix the camera or better to find another.
Alternately, service manuals are available online, though I would probably try to do light seals myself before meter repair...

-Eric

12-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ok, I know a good repair service near my town, I'll contact them to see the price of this. Let's see if they include the light seals !
Thank you, Eric. Have a good day !
12-18-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #9

This issue can be caused by a loose electrical contact on the exposure compensation and/or the ASA setting system.
Check if the shutter reading bounces if/when you touch or almost turn the position.

Sorry for my English too.