Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'd sent a Super Tak 28 with it, looks like it got swapped out for the 135 at some point. Either way, it is a great camera with a very smooth feel, and frees you to your own intelligence for exposure. I'm happy we'll get another round with it.
The ST 28/3.5 that you donated was a great lens. I hope it did not come to a sad end.

Steve

01-26-2019, 11:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sadly, I got the message below from murrelet. I received the camera a few days ago and was able to get out with it today and shoot a roll. I developed the film a few hours ago and found that the shutter had malfunctioned on about half of my shots and the negatives were clear. Also, the 135mm lens included has a slow aperture. I'll post the good shots that I got once I scan them tomorrow.

Now, Do I return the camera to monochrome, or do I send it on to participant #3?

Here is the message from murrelet:

Subject: Re: Sightseeing Screwmount
Hi Chris,

I'm going to send you the SV either tomorrow or Friday. The camera seems more temperamental than my own SV. The mirror can lock up when the shutter release is pressed. From what I can tell when this happens, the shutter is still closed so the film is not exposed. You just won't be able to recompose with the mirror up. A short tug on the wind lever fixes it so the shutter opens when the button is pressed again.

~Ben
01-27-2019, 03:55 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Sadly, I got the message below from murrelet. I received the camera a few days ago and was able to get out with it today and shoot a roll. I developed the film a few hours ago and found that the shutter had malfunctioned on about half of my shots and the negatives were clear. Also, the 135mm lens included has a slow aperture. I'll post the good shots that I got once I scan them tomorrow.

Now, Do I return the camera to monochrome, or do I send it on to participant #3?

Here is the message from murrelet:

Subject: Re: Sightseeing Screwmount
Hi Chris,

I'm going to send you the SV either tomorrow or Friday. The camera seems more temperamental than my own SV. The mirror can lock up when the shutter release is pressed. From what I can tell when this happens, the shutter is still closed so the film is not exposed. You just won't be able to recompose with the mirror up. A short tug on the wind lever fixes it so the shutter opens when the button is pressed again.

~Ben
Please send it back to me. I’ll send it to Eric for a diagnosis. As I recall it was getting temperamental towards the end of the last round. It has been going for ten years now. When I get it back I’ll send it yo you for another go.

Please PM me for many address when you are ready.
01-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I probably have a spare Tak 135/3.5 I can donate to replace the slow aperture one. I'll check tonight to be certain, but I seem to recall that 135 is one of the over represented focal lengths among my screwmount lenses.

01-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I probably have a spare Tak 135/3.5 I can donate to replace the slow aperture one. I'll check tonight to be certain, but I seem to recall that 135 is one of the over represented focal lengths among my screwmount lenses.
Hold off on that. I’m sending the camera for a CLA.
01-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems the SV needs a professional CLA. It has been ten years since the camera had a full service. I’ll also deal with the 135/3.5 issue.

ctrout has sent the camera back to me with a note describing it’s intermittent shutter / advance malfunction. I’ll send it for service (either Eric or Advance) and keep the group updated on progress.
01-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hold off on that. I’m sending the camera for a CLA.
Sounds fine but, if need be, my offer still stands. I've got a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135/3.5 that I rarely use and would be willing to part with.

01-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Sounds fine but, if need be, my offer still stands. I've got a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135/3.5 that I rarely use and would be willing to part with.
Thanks! I have a slew of Super-Takumar lenses I can add to the box as well.
01-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Screwmount has arrived and will go for CLA Saturday.
02-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sightseer is on the way to Eric for a diagnosis and CLA. I'll keep the thread(s) updated.

I have located a (the?) errant ST28/3.5 and will add it to the box when the Sightseer moves to @ctrout to complete his round. Given the configuration of the foam box liner I honestly think this is my lens and not the original that has gone missing. I suspect the foam was recut and the 28/3.5 was replaced with the 135/3.5 that is in the box.
02-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Sightseer is on the way to Eric for a diagnosis and CLA. I'll keep the thread(s) updated.

I have located a (the?) errant ST28/3.5 and will add it to the box when the Sightseer moves to @ctrout to complete his round. Given the configuration of the foam box liner I honestly think this is my lens and not the original that has gone missing. I suspect the foam was recut and the 28/3.5 was replaced with the 135/3.5 that is in the box.
I thought I might have had a photo of the errant ST28/3.5 mounted to the Sightseer, but I was unable to find such.

That is so strange that a substitution was made at some point. Do you think the Sightseer might have sustained a fall?

Steve
02-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought I might have had a photo of the errant ST28/3.5 mounted to the Sightseer, but I was unable to find such.

That is so strange that a substitution was made at some point. Do you think the Sightseer might have sustained a fall?

Steve
I don’t think so. There weren’t any obvious dings on the body, though I wasn’t looking for damage. I think it is just old and has traveled off and on for ten years. It is packed for pickup Monday.

The ST28 has been in my lens drawer since 2015 according to the Serial Number Database but I didn’t pay a lot for it, so I’m happy to add it to the box for the group.

I’ll get it all sorted and continue with Round Three. I still need to find a way to be added as a flickr Group Admin so new people can join or I’ll need to start a new group.
02-04-2019, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some updates

1. Working with flickr to obtain an Admin password
  2. Rather than having the 135/3.5 serviced I’ll add one I have in the cabinet. It includes a hood.
  3. I located a rectangular metal hood for the K28/3.5 to add to the carton.
  4. Seeking a hood for the normal to add to the carton.
  5. SSS is on the way to Eric for CLA
02-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #44
Site Supporter

I have finally logged into the account today. The issue was the dormancy in addition to several updates to Flickr as well as it changing hands and policies etc coupled with an old yahoo email account. That said, I didn't see any requests to approve. I will keep checking and approve those when I see them.

Edit: the sightseeing.screwmoun (AT) yahoo.com email address may not be recoverable so don't send requests there.

Last edited by Blue; 02-04-2019 at 11:30 AM.
02-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have finally logged into the account today. The issue was the dormancy in addition to several updates to Flickr as well as it changing hands and policies etc coupled with an old yahoo email account. That said, I didn't see any requests to approve. I will keep checking and approve those when I see them.
Thank you. I’ll notify @murellet and @ctrout