Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2018, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #1

Beginners Film system for my son

My 22 year old son has been playing around with a spare mirrorless system of mine for a while now (a Panasonic G1 with a couple of lenses) but asked about trying out a film camera as well. After ogling a few of my exotics, particularly a Voigtlnader Bessa-L and Zorki-4K) because they looked cool, I ended up putting together a little Pentax AF system for him. He's taking my old Z50p (my first SLR, bought in Hong Kong not long after he was born!) plus an DA 28-70mm F4, a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO and a Cosina 100mm F3.5 macro plus a couple of 400ASA B&W films. I also chucked in a *ist DS body and the 18-55 kit lens and suggested he gets used to the system using that first before he starts using the film camera.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on with the system!

Any of you kids interested in film cameras or are they mostly phone photographers like my daughter?

12-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My son was given an ME with 50/1.7 for his photography class in HS and impressed the teacher. My daughter decided on a K1000 with the same lens, and again impressed the teacher. Neither has used them since but each knows how to compose with limited opportunities, how to develop and print in B&W, and the basics that come from using film. The new thing in HS is the new Polaroid film from Fuji - instance little photos that are hard copy are fascinating to many of her friends.
12-30-2018, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am no longer a kid (by a long chalk), but still get a buzz putting a roll of film into one of my film cameras and taking some pictures. I use MX; ME; Super-A; LX and Z-1. I send the film to Ilford labs for processing and get a hi-res scan and negs returned.

Here is my little Ripley taken with Super-A + "K" 85mm 2.2 Soft lens and Ilford XP2......

12-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm planning to shoot some film myself - even bought some 120 so I can give the 645 a go for the first time in a while.

12-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve given my children various film cameras but eventually they always come back. Even my elder daughter, who was a Photography Editor in the early 2000’s (before moving to Broadcast News) and has a Canon SLR, gave me back the K1000SE that she learned on. They all use digital cameras and phones now.
12-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My daughter-in-law is quite good with a dSLR, and wanted to try film, so I gave her a refurbished MX. However, the change to manual focus and manual exposure seemed to be too much to take on at once. She did much better with an ME, but decided even manual focus slowed her up so she missed the shots she wanted. So she went back to her Nikon.
12-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
My daughter-in-law is quite good with a dSLR, and wanted to try film, so I gave her a refurbished MX. However, the change to manual focus and manual exposure seemed to be too much to take on at once. She did much better with an ME, but decided even manual focus slowed her up so she missed the shots she wanted. So she went back to her Nikon.
Funny, I had to work with my daughter of DoF in combination with pre-focusing when dealing with non-static subjects. After the first roll of failures that instruction was actually listened to and acted upon (but not prior to the initial roll of failures).

12-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My little brother took an interest in photography after having a go with my ME Super. He went on a trip to New York earlier this year and shot solely with his ME Super... about 20-ish rolls of film that had to be sent off and developed! I develop my own B&W but he prefers colour.
12-31-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was having similar troubles with my Pentax 35mm SLRs in certain situations, so I picked up a Canon EOS 1v. If I ever miss a shot on film now, it's all my fault. The Pentaxes still have their place, but I can tell you from experience that it's not in trying to capture family photos of my kids chasing a toad they caught around the hotel room while on a road trip.
12-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #10

Original Poster
That was why I gave my son an AF 35mm camera and lenses instead of an manual focus set-up. If he gets on ok with the Z50p I might let him have the Bessa-L next.
12-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
That was why I gave my son an AF 35mm camera and lenses instead of an manual focus set-up. If he gets on ok with the Z50p I might let him have the Bessa-L next.
I and every other kid in I knew went from manual cameras to auto cameras as we got older. And in my case back to cameras without even a light meter. Today, kids have to be carefully and gently introduced to manual mode?
12-31-2018, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first camera was a pinhole...

Kids these days want crazy things, like lenses

What’s next? Timed shutters and adjustable apertures?

-Eric
12-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
My first camera was a pinhole.

In my high school photography class we made a pinhole camera out of folded smooth gray cardboard
and aluminum foil (that's where you made the pinhole). The back was a 126 Instamatic film cartridge.

IIRC using it was a little frustrating as I already owned a Ricoh 500G 35mm rangefinder camera.

Chris
12-31-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
Forum Member

When my daughter was small, I gave her my Pentax SP500 and a few lenses to use. She shot lots of film... mostly color and that was when pharmacies and grocery stores would do 1-hr developing. When iPhones and such came out as the norm, the SP500 went under the bed. Now, years later, she has taken up my old Canon F-1 with FD 55mm f1.2 and FD 24mm f3.5 S.S.C. lenses. I'm supplying film (bulk Ilford HP5 Plus) and developing/scanning services and she's doing very well with that brick of a camera. My son has gone with a digital camera for wildlife/nature photos, but has been using a few M42 manual lenses. I believe that this is an interesting time, where analogue and digital can play quite nicely together... and kiddos who have grown up mostly (or entirely) in the digital era are still able to explore and experiment with all that 'old stuff'.
01-09-2019, 01:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I am teaching my eldest photography with film as he has started to show an interest in it. My youngest though is very set in his ways with his iPhone though with his chemistry bump I am sure he would be a wonder in a lab.