Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Teeny tiny screws - where to find ?

Well blow me I went back in the charity shop again today where I have managed to find a LX and a K1000 going cheap and lo and behold they have another K1000. Small problem though - the film counter/rewind lever top (see pic) has been removed and the three small screws that hold this to the camera have taken a walk to parts unknown. Anyone know what size these are and where would I get some spares ? I could measure the size (maybe) by extracting ones from one of my two Pentax Ks but I doubt given their super tiny size I could determine thread or even get an accurate gauge on size.

Last edited by Astro-Baby; 05-05-2019 at 03:15 AM.
01-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check Amazon, This is one of several assortments I picked up for working on lenses:

amazon.com: HVAZI 12 Kinds M1 M1.2 M1.4 M1.6 Small Screws Assortment Kit: Home Improvement?tag=pentaxforums-20&
01-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #3

You can find the cover with screws on eBay at reasonable prices.
01-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the company Fastenal in USA has lots of locations where they should be able to help you ID the screws & will sell replacements but are unlikely to have on premesis stock of these weird little items. They do have offsite warehousing so they can usually supply within a few days. The company McMaster-Carr has a great website with screw information including dimensional drawings so if you have a suspicion of the size you can confirm. The company Maryland Metrics has a terrible 90's website packed with information including printable charts of to-scale fasteners. You may be able to print those out and compare the screw against the printed image, but YMMV with these tiny little buggers.

01-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The original screws will be JIS - Japanese Industrial Standard - however the threads are still metric so its just a matter of id-ing and obtaining the right size - an engineering shop will be able to do that for you with precise callipers and reference tables (or simple trial and error with some small screws). Quite a lot of standard screw sizes are readily available off eg ebay. Model engineering airplanes/drones/ railway etc suppliers are a good bet for more specific requirements.
01-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
US camera shows some in stock.Kinda pricey though,but it gives a part number to help in your search.Pentax Counter Dial Cover Set Screw 1-061181.USCamera parts & more.USCamera
01-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #7

There are many vendors online that sell micro fasteners (tiny screws) by the piece no minimum. All you need is the diameter. If they don't have one in the length you need you can always cut/file down a longer one.

If you can find a parts list it would show what size the screws are. Thread pitch is standard on small screws based on the diameter. This size would be something like M1.7 × 1 which would be a metric screw 1.7mm diameter by 1mm long. If you were to search "M1.7 x 1 set screw" you would probably find several vendors that sell the screw.

01-10-2019, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmm, think I'll move to Reigate if there's this much bargain Pentax equipment floating around!

But seriously I wonder why the screws were removed - maybe an attempt to solve some internal problem?
01-10-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #9

I think the screws just work loose. The plastic end on the film advance lever often goes missing too which is held on with a couple of screws. Both parts are AWOL on the K1000 I picked up for dirt cheap on Goodwill. I wanted the A 50mm f1.7 that came with it. There's no reason to remove the plastic part for repairs and there is no evidence that any of the screws were touched on the body.
01-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think they are 1.2mm ( maybe 1 mm) set screws. They are not JIS crosspoint, just small straight blade set screws. And yes, the screws just work loose sometimes. If you see damage to the screw that holds the counter on it means someone tried to work on the camera. The counter screw is left hand thread as is the ring that is the next thing to loosen when disassembling the camera.
01-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
US camera shows some in stock.Kinda pricey though,but it gives a part number to help in your search.Pentax Counter Dial Cover Set Screw 1-061181.USCamera parts & more.USCamera
When I ordered an upper casting part from US Camera for a Manfrotto 144 tripod, they sent me the corresponding part for a Manfrotto 190 with the "190" stamped in the aluminum part and a sticker on the plastic bag specifying that it was for a 190. The internal diameter in the casting (for the centre column) in these two models is so different that you can tell at a glance that the casting is too small for a 144. Not very impressive. They refunded the cost of the order, but not my cost of shipping it back to them on the far side of the continent.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 01-10-2019 at 12:57 PM.
01-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link to the photo parts store - I will send them an email. I don't mind paying a bit more for this kind of stuff because its usually less hassle than messing about and getting the wrong stuff. I am pretty well equipped for most engineering but my digital callipers have given up the ghost hence the question plus a reluctance to go taking screws out of either of my perfectly serviceable K cameras. You never know if something is going to strip a thread. I wrecked a perfectly good Zenith E doing that.

From doing this kind of thing with my other hobby (astronomy) I have tried to cut corners in the past and invariably its the wrong thread, too long, too short, wrong profile etc.

LOL at the idea of finding an engineering shop to run a gauge on it - this being the South East UK - I could probably find a banker to qoute me a price to short the stock of Pentax screws, sort out lawyering for me to sue Pentax, or sell me an insurance policy against screws failing but I doubt I could find an honest to goodness engineering shop. About 5 years ago I needed a couple of metal parts turned and couldn't find a single place within about 50 miles that could do it - almost every engineering company I called up said they couldn't or wouldn't do it. In the end I found another hobbyist who would do it for me for a decent lunch.

I may well go back and if they still have it in there I might take a closer look and see what else may be amiss.

You get lots of good gear round here - its a wealthy part of the country is my guess for the reason - the charity shops are quite often a great source of stuff if your patient. I prefer it to eBay as you can actually have a look and see. Generally I distrust eBay as prices get inflated, sellers idea of whats good can be different from mine and some people haven't a clue what to look for so its hard to know if the item is really ok.
They have had a lot of decent gear in the charity shops round here - not all of it is stuff I would want but I have seen a few pretty decent Chinons, Mirandas, Cosinas, Minoltas etc go through at pretty silly money - £20 - £30 for a working late model SLR albeit from a secondary player like Cosina is pretty reasonable.
01-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
When I ordered an upper casting part from US Camera for a Manfrotto 144 tripod, they sent me the corresponding part for a Manfrotto 190 with the "190" stamped in the aluminum part and a sticker on the plastic bag specifying that it was for a 190. The internal diameter in the casting (for the centre column) in these two models is so different that you can tell at a glance that the casting is too small for a 144. Not very impressive. They refunded the cost of the order, but not my cost of shipping it back to them on the far side of the continent.
Outside of Manfrotto there are a couple of websites that specialize in Manfrotto/Bogen and other tripod parts. They have the parts diagrams so you can make sure you are ordering the right part for the right version of a tripod or head.

Years ago I called the parts guy at Bogen and he sent me parts diagrams for the various versions of the tripod and head I have. All that stuff is online now but back then it was easier (and more pleasant) to talk to a human being.
01-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well its all academic now, went back and its gone .......maybe roberrl got there
01-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Loved the all-too-true description of SE England. I used to pick-up some nice bits of camera gear from the charity shops around here but they ran dry a couple years back. I don't even see rubbishy compacts any more. Jean Potiers makes me green with envy!

K.