Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2019, 05:43 AM   #1

Pentax MX - should the shutter curtain look like this?

Hi,

longtime reader, fist time poster here.
I have only seen cameras where the shutter curtain didn’t have a plastic bar across it (maybe because that plastic bar was hidden in the body somewhere.

So my question is: does this look right to you? Or should I be concerned?

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
Matt

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
01-16-2019, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That looks perfectly normal to me... as long as the shutter has only been cocked about half way. If you complete the wind cycle, it shouldn't look like that.
01-16-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

That bar you see is actually made of metal, and it is the crimped-on edge of one of the two rubberized fabric shutter curtains.

A second one is hidden behind it, crimped to the other shutter curtain.

The two overlap while winding film and re-cocking the shutter to stop light from reaching the film. When firing the shutter, one shoots across the film plane first, and the second one follows it - the delay determined by the shutter speed setting. Try firing the shutter on bulb with the door open a few times, and you'll get the gist of it.

With your divider about a third away across the film gate, your shutter is only about a third cocked. With the shutter fully cocked, both metal edges are hidden behind the right side of the film gate. When fired, they're hidden behind the left side.
01-17-2019, 04:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks, guys, that helps a lot!

this is a pic from an ebay auction, so I'll just ask the seller to check it for me. just wanted to see if something's wrong with the camera...

cheers!