Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 03:50 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Pentax field cases

I found this old case that fits my K1000 today at a flea market for $5. It was seriously dried out and looked pretty lousy. I got home and went to rubbing it down with Black Rock leather conditioner. I'm amazed at how well it turned out. I wish I had taken a before photo.

I see quite a few of these cases, but not always both pieces. Usually just the bottom half. I now want to find them for my MX, Spotmatics, and ME Super.

All in all, I think it was a pretty good score.

That is all.

Attached Images

01-24-2019, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice. I had several of those cases years ago and still have one enshrouding my ZX-5n. Working the leather is cathartic in a way. Shame you donít have before picture 😊

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 01-24-2019 at 06:10 PM.
01-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Dumb of me not to get a before photo. I almost didn't buy it, considering how scuffed and dry it was, and also, I wasn't sure WHICH camera it would fit. I've used Black Rock on all my leather goods. It's pretty much a miracle product.
01-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John Brown Quote
I now want to find them for my MX, Spotmatics, and ME Super.
You won't have as much luck rescuing the later field cases for the M bodies.They're more like painted cardboard.Once they start flaking,they're pretty much done for.

01-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Brown Quote
Dumb of me not to get a before photo. I almost didn't buy it, considering how scuffed and dry it was, and also, I wasn't sure WHICH camera it would fit. I've used Black Rock on all my leather goods. It's pretty much a miracle product.
While I have switched to neoprene cases for my digital cameras I try to find leather for my film cameras. I still shoot the ME, Zx5n and Pz-1p. They are beautiful and practical. Yours worked out nicely!
01-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
You won't have as much luck rescuing the later field cases for the M bodies.They're more like painted cardboard.Once they start flaking,they're pretty much done for.
Yes the M/A/P Series soft EverReady cases were pretty bad for cracking, K Series were the last ones that were half decent. I still have my KX case from 1975 that I bought new and it's fine. (It was an accessory and did not come with the body.)

Phil.
01-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some good off-brand generic cases were made for ME/ME Super etc.
In this case they were far superior to those marketed by Pentax.

A few months ago I posted a link to a nice one listed on eBay by Pacific Rim Camera.:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/378248-found-nos-case-fit-me-super-etc.html

Good seller. If they don't have a current listing for this item they will usually be glad to re-list if you intend to buy.

Chris
01-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Some good off-brand generic cases were made for ME/ME Super etc.
In this case they were far superior to those marketed by Pentax.

A few months ago I posted a link to a nice one listed on eBay by Pacific Rim Camera.:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/378248-found-nos-case-fit-me-super-etc.html

Good seller. If they don't have a current listing for this item they will usually be glad to re-list if you intend to buy.

Chris
I bought that case from Pacific Rim Camera - it was listed as a case for an ME super, but I knew it would fit my Super Program. I had an original case for the Super Program, but as was mentioned above the original Pentax cases of that era disintegrate with time. The aftermarket case is very nice and is not disintegrating.

---------- Post added 01-29-2019 at 01:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Very nice. I had several of those cases years ago and still have one enshrouding my ZX-5n. Working the leather is cathartic in a way. Shame you donít have before picture 😊
What case fits the ZX5n - one of the cases for the Spotmatic line?

01-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I bought that case from Pacific Rim Camera - it was listed as a case for an ME super, but I knew it would fit my Super Program. I had an original case for the Super Program, but as was mentioned above the original Pentax cases of that era disintegrate with time. The aftermarket case is very nice and is not disintegrating.

---------- Post added 01-29-2019 at 01:02 PM ----------

What case fits the ZX5n - one of the cases for the Spotmatic line?

I'm glad someone bought one of those, and glad I could help.
Pacific Rim Camera is a good honest dealer; I've used them for close to 20 years.

B. Dimitrov lists the original Pentax cases for the ZX-5n:

http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/bodies/film_mz-zx/mzzx5n/

I can't recall ever coming across a generic or "universal" case that fits any of the Pentax AF models.

Chris
01-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm glad someone bought one of those, and glad I could help.
Pacific Rim Camera is a good honest dealer; I've used them for close to 20 years.

B. Dimitrov lists the original Pentax cases for the ZX-5n:

http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/bodies/film_mz-zx/mzzx5n/

I can't recall ever coming across a generic or "universal" case that fits any of the Pentax AF models.

Chris
Yes, I've purchased several times from Pacific Rim, great vendor. My most recent - a box of 10 Kodak Snap-caps, NOS.
I've seen the link you attached and have been watching for the cases they mentioned, but never seen any.