Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2019, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Heads-up: Possible wrong ebay listing Black K1000

Hi

Just a heads-up, incase you are looking. There is a black K1000 for sale on eBay, with a box and a nice 50mm 1.2mm lens. There are no indications that Pentax ever made a black K1000, and looking close at the one listed there is a number of things that stands out indicating that it is a repaint. Here are a few of the most obvious signs:

1. Scratches on the bottom plate reveals chrome. an orignal factory black body would be brass.
2. The advance lever is painted and not anodized.
3. The AOC logo on the prism house was never painted white on any other black bodied Pentax.
4. Missing color in the indicator triangle next to the speed dial. It would've been red, now it is painted black.
5. The dent next to the hotshoe should show cracks in the paint, it doesn't, indicating the dent was there before the body was painted.

The seller did write to me saying that he is not sure himself, quoting: "I hope some one can really tell whether this black body is really a special order from the factory or not."

Cheers,
Baard-Einar.

01-27-2019, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think your assessment of the body is spot on. If I was to enter the bidding it would be for the lens. Which is what I think the others are bidding for.
01-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice find. I doubt it is "official" but it looks cool.
01-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Further indicators:

- Top plate, screw near the prism housing. There appears to be indications of underlying corrosion or pitting on the plate surrounding the screw, suggesting an over-paint.
- Top plate, area between the rewind knob and prism housing -- several dust specks appear in the paint. It's difficult for an amateur to get a dust-free result when spray painting; an original factory job would have been clean and smooth.
- Film advance lever -- rough trailing edge suggests an over-paint of a worn or corroded lever.
- Frame counter has been re-assembled 180 degrees out of its correct position. Centre screw of shutter speed dial shows marks, possibly a slip of a tool. The camera has been worked on, which would not necessarily be unusual for a legitimate repair. However, the top and bottom plates probably were removed to be spray painted. I don't see any evidence that the plates were masked with tape in situ.

Regardless, the body is indeed "black" and the seller claims someone told him it "could have been" a factory original. Buyer beware.

The lens appears to be in good condition.

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-27-2019 at 12:49 PM.
01-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely looks like a repaint; it's already chipped in places. Check out that battery cover.
Interesting nonetheless, and a reasonably priced K 50/1.2 lens would be a real nice bonus.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying one of the khaki green "safari"
repainted K1000 bodies I saw on eBay more than a decade ago...

Chris
01-27-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The seller has updated the post with a note regarding info that I sent and allowing bidders to retract bids if they want.
Not sure why he thinks I am from Austria, but anyway.