Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can only speak for myself, and not the OP, but I cannot image being locked into DX coding only for ISO selection. That limitation would drive me crazy.

I just got a Chinon CE-5 over the weekend and that thing seems very nice. The top deck is obviously plastic, and mine is cracked, so there is that issue. I may try to pull mine, re-enforce and close up the cracks from the backside, and repaint it myself. Just loaded my first roll of film in it last night and really looking forward to using this thing.

01-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The point about not having a Matt for focus of the A series doesn't hold up in my opinion. I focused my A* 85 f1.4 on my PZ-1... Younger eyes helped, but so did film vs high pixel count digital. The focusing screens of the PZ-1 could be replaced as well. The mz-m screen fits and has the split prism design you want.

split prism focusing screen for Z-1p / PZ-1p - PentaxForums.com
Shame on me, thank you for the correction, Uncle Vanya! Somehow I confused my problems getting a split prism screen for my digital with pentax autofocus cameras in general.

---------- Post added 01-28-19 at 09:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I can only speak for myself, and not the OP, but I cannot image being locked into DX coding only for ISO selection. That limitation would drive me crazy.

I just got a Chinon CE-5 over the weekend and that thing seems very nice. The top deck is obviously plastic, and mine is cracked, so there is that issue. I may try to pull mine, re-enforce and close up the cracks from the backside, and repaint it myself. Just loaded my first roll of film in it last night and really looking forward to using this thing.
Nice coincidence. My first camera was a Chion CE-4s and beside the fact I always shot the Ektachrome 64 on ASA 80, I only used the ISO setting once in 10 years when I used an Ektachrome 160 on 400 ASA. The Chinons and the P30 have an exposure memory button, which is sufficient in most cases. Just point the camera to a "middle grey" illuminated as your main subject, push the button, take picture, goal achieved.

Of course I loved my old Chinon (RIP) more, then I like the P30, which I like because it's operation resembles that of the Chinon as if they were twins. Except for the auto Iso setting of course.

And of course I have other film cameras to shoot XP2 film or black and white on other ISO settings.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 01-28-2019 at 09:26 AM. Reason: P.S.
01-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most users shoot factory loaded film at box speed; for these folks DX-only film speed setting is not an issue.

OTOH if you expose your film at other EI settings or load bulk film into uncoded cartridges it can be.

I was doubtful at first but now know that 99% of the time my P3n or P30T bodies would suffice.

Chris
01-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, there is no Pentax replacement for a Minolta X-700. For that matter, there is no other name brand replacement for the X-700.

There was only one Camera of the Year that year . . .

I am not certain any others had full IR remote control facility . . .

I am also not aware of any - even modern AF types, that have a full intervalometer back . . .

Besides, Minolta lenses and accessories are bountiful and relatively inexpensive. Who's idea was it to replace the X-700 anyway . . .

01-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

the Nikon F4 had an optional back, the MF-23, that could do interval shooting as well as a number of unique features.

Nikon F4 Series - Interchangeable Film Backs
01-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Most users shoot factory loaded film at box speed; for these folks DX-only film speed setting is not an issue.

OTOH if you expose your film at other EI settings or load bulk film into uncoded cartridges it can be.

I was doubtful at first but now know that 99% of the time my P3n or P30T bodies would suffice.

Chris
I've probably developed 25 to 30 rolls of film at home so far (hey, I'm maybe six months into shooting with film at all, I'm shooting as fast I reasonably can) and I would bet at least 85% of those rolls have been pushed. Plus that one roll that I plan on pulling as soon as I finish the dumb thing... And eventually I think I'll be bulk loading rolls of Foma 400 and HP5+.

I would think that almost anyone using film today would not want to be hamstrung by DX-only ISO control.
01-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
*ist has P-TTL, DX coding and manual ISO setting...
I think the MZ6/ZX£ do as well...

-Eric

01-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I too pushed a lot of film when I was a beginner in the darkroom.
Fortunately that eventually wears off.

You will find 400 ISO film usually looks far better - drum roll please - exposed at 400!
FYI Ultrafine even sells reusable cassettes DX-coded for 400.

Once again, being limited to DX-coded film speed setting is not a serious limitation for most users.
IMO lack of DOF preview and AE memory lock are far greater impediments.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-28-2019 at 06:44 PM.
01-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
the Nikon F4 had an optional back, the MF-23, that could do interval shooting as well as a number of unique features.

Nikon F4 Series - Interchangeable Film Backs
I would have to agree with you there!